Why won't my twins go into heat? - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013, 07:07 PM   #31 (permalink)

There is quite frankly no one here that can help me! I have done a lot of research and have found nothing wrong with having sisters. I know other reputable breeders that would strongly disagree with you people. I took the twins early not because I was uninformed but because I was concerned my friend wasn't handling them all very well. Guess you would all prefer I left them and risked them dying due to lack of proper care right? I was immediately jumped on just because I said I wanted to breed them. There was absolutely no reason you all could not have just answered the question at hand. Instead you felt the need to question everything about my plans without having the slightest inkling as to what they were. If I had asked questions pertaining to learning from you people then your answers and questions would have been warranted.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Kristindsullivan is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2013, 07:09 PM   #32 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristindsullivan View Post
Based on my question how do any of you know enough about me, my twins or my plans to make comments about me being a "backyard breeder" or "indiscriminately breeding"? You know nothing about us!
We know that you plan on breeding un-registered dogs from un-registered parents, because that's exactly what you said. How much do you know about your dog's parents, and the generations prior to that? If you don't have a pedigree then you don't know anything about them, which makes you by definition an indiscriminate breeder.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 07:13 PM   #33 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
There is quite frankly no one here that can help me! I have done a lot of research and have found nothing wrong with having sisters. I know other reputable breeders that would strongly disagree with you people. I took the twins early not because I was uninformed but because I was concerned my friend wasn't handling them all very well. Guess you would all prefer I left them and risked them dying due to lack of proper care right? I was immediately jumped on just because I said I wanted to breed them. There was absolutely no reason you all could not have just answered the question at hand. Instead you felt the need to question everything about my plans without having the slightest inkling as to what they were. If I had asked questions pertaining to learning from you people then your answers and questions would have been warranted.

People did answer the question at hand-- YOU said you wanted to breed them. Since this is a DISCUSSION forum, people wanted to discuss. We're a very passionate bunch here- there's a lot of discussion on the learning process of breeding. It's how people...learn. All anyone started with was asking what kind of titles, etc the parents had-- which is what we ask ANYONE saying they want to breed their dogs... because we like to talk about bloodlines, and share stories. Heck, anyone who posts about their dogs in generally usually gets asked those questions. It's like going to a car enthusiast forum... everyone asks the make and model and history. Because they're enthusiasts.

And I don't know many reputable GSD breeders who will tell you that sibling females is a good idea. It may differ from breed to breed That's my point, with you need to get to know the breed. There are a lot of people here who know WAY more than you, or any of us on this thread. I'm sure Cliff, Carmen, Robin, etc all will readily say there are people who know a lot more than THEM.

LoveEcho is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 07:20 PM   #34 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Kristindsullivan, I would guess that any forum or discussion board that you go on with passionate dog lovers....will not support your breeding goals.
UNLESS you understand the pedigree's of your "twins" and how to match them, do the proper health testing, and possibly work the dogs for titles so you understand their strengths/weaknesses and whether or not they are actually breedworthy.
If you want other dog forum suggestions, pm me and I guarantee you every other board will post the same as the members here are.
Please try not to be defensive, because what is right is right, regardless. Open minded learning will help your "twins" and could even save their lives. Thank goodness you don't have brother and sister....then you would be asking a whole different set of questions....

Last edited by onyx'girl; 01-10-2013 at 07:22 PM.
onyx'girl is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 07:25 PM   #35 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:

Absolutely we can ask questions, that is what happens when you are a breeder, people ask you questions, and lots of them. They want to know where their dogs are coming from and what you have done to ensure their pup is going to be the best pup for them.

If you are the informed breeder that you say you are, you should be able to answer the questions about titling, pedigree and health checks, no prob. It shouldn't make you defensive, it should make you proud to be asked.

You should be proud that people took the time to ask you and that you have the answers! I am so proud to say that I have spent the better part of three years titling my female, and having her hips, elbows, heart and thyroid certified. I am PROUD because I did everything I could to ensure the next generation is better.

So when people ask the questions, rather than get defensive that you are being judged, prove them wrong.

It is pretty unheard of for GS people to take on two female siblings (not impossible though), for a couple reasons. Most want to dedicate time to ONE dog, get the titles, show ribbons, do the health testing etc. But also, female Shepherds can be quite fierce when housed together.

You had mentioned that a Sibe breeder keeps her females together and I believe it. Sibes were "originally" bred as sled dogs, and some still are, so they need to have a temperament that lends to working in a "pack" environment. It would not work for a musher to have dog fights along the way. Especially when the dogs are "amped" up to go! Have you seen a sled dog race, those dogs get pretty wild!
N Smith is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 11:20 PM   #36 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Kristindsullivan,

I know this was not your question, but I do want to mention something as you brought it up in your post, and I did not hear anyone else mention it.

A huge part in the development of puppies is the imprinting they get from their dam. Since your bitches were separated from their dam so early this crucial time was missed. Perhaps their dam was not a good dam, and that she will pass on through her genes to her offspring. These girls can make good pets, but I would be very concerned with what type of a mother they will be. I am a breeder, and I wouldn't take that gamble even if they could be registered through AKC and had all the rest of the hoops covered.

Now to your question. I would not worry yet, some bitches go in late, and some have very minor first heats that can be missed.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 11:39 PM   #37 (permalink)

I have found help elsewhere so consider this post / question closed! I do not wish to hear any more of your opinions. The question was simple. The rest is my business not yours.

To the last poster - they got plenty of dam time. As you read my friend owns her and we were all there pretty much every day for the puppies to be with mommy and siblings. Mom did great for 5 weeks but she was a small GSD while dad was a very large GSD. The result was 8 very large babies. She got tired. Not her fault. If she had been paired with a similar size male then I think the outcome would have been different.

You all love to jump to conclusions! I said I took them from my friend. Never said they were not with their mom every day. They still see mom and dad at least 3 times a week actually.

You all have a great one.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:51 PM   #38 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Xeph Send a message via Yahoo to Xeph

At 5 weeks, they were in the weaning period/should have been already weaned, as is normal.

Can't believe you want to breed your dogs. My confidence in your competence in this matter is low :-/ Just because you bred other things doesn't mean you did it well.

Strauss: Service dog/old man
Wesson: The soon to be champion
Loch: Service dog in training
Barrett: The Frikken Tikken
Xeph is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 11:54 PM   #39 (permalink)

No one asked you xeph! And for the record, my goats and rabbits win shows so they are obviously bred well!

Old 01-10-2013, 11:55 PM   #40 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It really does not matter what they see now, and if they saw their dad at all. There is imprinting that a bitch does with her pups that happens during the neonatal stages. 5 weeks is young, but so long as the bitch did well with them up to five weeks you are probably ok, certainly not ideal though.

Seeing their dam and living with their dam and litter are totally different things. The dam imprints temperament, and prior to about 3 weeks when the socialization period actually starts, after the eyes and ears are open, the way the dam responds to stimuli effects how the pups will react to different situations. How the dam acts toward her puppies throughout the first 7-8 weeks can determine how the pups will respond to their own pups.

Just because you no longer want to participate in this thread, someone else can get information they need out of it, and posting a thread on a internet forum often takes on a life of its own. I am not surprised that your welcome here was not to your liking. I would encourage you to stick around and learn more about the breed and breeding and raising puppies.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.