German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Breeding - General (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/breeding-general/)
-   -   Bred young, would like advice (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/breeding-general/200073-bred-young-would-like-advice.html)

Ohhhhdannyboy 01-09-2013 12:17 AM

Bred young, would like advice

Hi thanks for reading. Let me start with a bit of a disclaimer. Ive raised and trained dogs my whole life, mostly beagles and springers. I love dogs, i work at a humane society and i do very well with them. Dogs have always been a big part of my life. A little over a year ago, i adopted a labrashepherd puppy. Her name is violet. She is my only dog. I love her with all my heart, i wish i could upload pics of her she is sooo gorgeous. She looks more like a golden shepherd, the only non shepherd trait of hers being her multi shaded golden colour. She is a wonderful animal. Shes very VERY intelligent and has learned commands ive never been able to teach my other dogs. Shes very loyal and protective. Shes also very calm and loving when shes inside. A problem arose when she was around six months and i couldnt have her where i was living anymore, so i decided if she had to go, so did i. So we moved to my dads, a clause being she had to live outside. Being a carpenter, i spent a few days building an extravagant dog house for her. I was quite proud of it. She destroyed most of the amenities of course lol but this is where ithe bad news comes in. She was born september 15 2011. She gave birth to a litter of puppies june 26 2012. Everything went fine, she had five healthy little mutts lol she took great care of them, and i adopted them all out, a few of which i still get to see. Man i have so many great pictures i wish i could share on here. But needless to say i think it may have stunted her growth. I know shes not quite done growing but shes barely 40 45 pounds id say. Maybe twenty inches at the shoulders. I say this because her dimensions, apart from length, seem very comparable to that of a full grown springer spaniel. Just a bit bigger. What are your opinions on this? I know there are many bullets about to fly my way about this but im just a humble man, i cant afford the most nutritious meals for her let alone myself, i do take her meat from Dinner every day tho. She gets a good variation of people food and pedigree, shes always gotten a clean bill of health. Shes a very lively and active dog, and doesnt seem to favor anything in motion. She does have the GSD gait lol shes a gorgeous dog ive never seen anythi g like her for a half breed. Is there anything affordable i can do to promote healthy growth and developement to maybe compensate for her early pregnancy? What are some reprocussions of this that may not typically just ne developmentally? Enlighten me friends. Thank you :)

selzer 01-09-2013 12:29 AM

She is a mongrel. You cannot expect her to have exact shepherd or golden dimensions. Shepherds can be quite small -- usually 22 inches at the shoulder, is minimum. 40-50 pounds is very small for a GSD, but yours is not a GSD, she is a mixture.

So maybe the litter stunted her growth. I don't think you can get that back. Check out the nutrition threads and pick a quality dog food, and start there. She may fill out some, but her vertical growth is probably done at this point.

You work at humane societies and you let your mixed breed get pregnant? What's up with that? Did the people you work with give you a good grousing at least?

Ohhhhdannyboy 01-09-2013 01:33 AM

Yea cause i totally "let" her get pregnant. Were not all of the upper crust and able to control every dimension of our dogs and our own lives. If you paid mind to my story, i think you would respect the alterations to my life i made for her. That dog is my life. Since i work at the humane society, i can attest to the appalling nature of owners to abandon their animals at the drop of a hat. No one else who works there would berate me for any aspect of my dogs life, seeing what we see, and knowing how much i care for my dog. I appreciate your advice but you dont need to talk down to me about her. That mongrel is better in every way than any purebred ive ever had.

Mixed breed or not, a dog is a dog, no one better than the other, working at a humane society and seeing it first hand every day i know this to be true.

Im well aware of the GSD dimensions, but shes half lab, that being small for a lab as well. I was mostly concerned with how i might expect her to develop from here on out, so for that information i thank you.

msvette2u 01-09-2013 01:57 AM

Hopefully she's spayed now?

Ohhhhdannyboy 01-09-2013 02:00 AM

Naturally. Although she produces wonderful offspring.

msvette2u 01-09-2013 02:04 AM

If you honestly work for the Humane society, I don't see how you could glorify your mutt giving birth to more mutts :(

Or maybe you haven't euthanized a litter of puppies yet.

Freestep 01-09-2013 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ohhhhdannyboy (Post 2700297)
Yea cause i totally "let" her get pregnant. Were not all of the upper crust and able to control every dimension of our dogs and our own lives.

You know there's a surgery to prevent pregnancy, right?

I find it surprising that you work at a shelter, yet you let (yes, YOU are responsible) your mixed-breed dog get pregnant. Perhaps you have not worked at the shelter long enough to have seen whole litters of puppies and kittens get euthanized.

What does the "upper crust" have to do with anything? Are you saying you couldn't afford to get her spayed? I dearly hope she is spayed now.

As for her size, yes, you probably stunted her growth by allowing her to have a litter so young. Then again, you really don't know how big she was going to get. She could be a GSD/Cocker mix for all anyone knows and might have only been 40 pounds anyway.

Once a dog has reached a certain age, you cannot compensate for stunted growth. Feeding her more will only make her fat, which you definitely don't want. If you simply want to take better care of your dog, you can start by feeding something better than Pedigree and table scraps.

cliffson1 01-09-2013 07:17 AM

Good luck, Danny, I'm sure you learned a valuable lesson....don't argue with perfection....it's useless.
Also, as she is a crossbreed it is difficult to impossible to project things such as size....just too many variables.

llombardo 01-09-2013 07:23 AM

Isn't it mandatory for dogs at an Humane Society to be spayed/neutered?

JakodaCD OA 01-09-2013 07:44 AM

barring the having a litter thing, accidents happen, it's done and over:)

I would say she may be the size she is because she is a mix and maybe you can't be absolutely positive her parents were a gsd x lab? I wouldn't know if pregnancy can stunt growth, but I would say the 'mix' has more to do with it.

As for HS having mandatory/spay/neuter,,well maybe so, but maybe not if you work/volunteer..