GSD X Mal Cross? - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 04:36 PM   #31 (permalink)
Master Member

""""

Last edited by MadLab; 01-07-2013 at 04:40 PM. Reason: double posted
MadLab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 04:39 PM   #32 (permalink)
Master Member

I believe Bart Bellons dog Thor is a GSD X Mal. I haven't seen a better trained dog yet. What do you guys think of his dog?
MadLab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 06:48 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPuppy View Post
And, one more time, there is an actual breed called Dutch Shepherd (Hollandse Herder), that does not come from Malinois. The people with the mixes don't want you to know that. (They both evolved from the same general population of farm dogs over 100 years ago, as did the GSD. But with the exception of some interbreeding to renew the blood after WWII, they are not breed with Malinois, and do not look like Malinois. They are smaller, longer, have a different head shape, and different temperament.)
I am no expert on malinois or dutch shepherds, but I have done a bit of research on them. In reference to the statement above, there is a distinction between the pedigreed or FCI Dutch Shepherds and the "unpedigreed" KNPV Dutch Shepherds. Here is a link that describes the difference: http://www.vankamphuis.com/dutchiehistory.pdf It is the KNPV dogs that seem to be in demand by law enforcement and military. The difference in KNPV lines is that a "malinois" is fawn colored and a dutch shepherd is striped. It is also not much of a secret that several different breeds have been folded into some dutch lines at one time or another. I have seen references not only to GSDs, but to Dane's and pits among others.

I have no personal experience with malinois or dutch shepherds. However, a couple years ago I went and observed the protection phase of the K9 trials for a local police department (fairly large metropolitan department). These trials draw teams from all over the west and Mexico, so there was a fairly large sampling of dogs. There were significantly more malinois/dutch shepherds than GSDs.

This was a real eye opener for me. Without getting into too much detail I will say this: the KNPV "mutts" were impressive and really stood out! Thus, the crossing of breeds is not always a bad thing - depends on the goal and the execution.
jmdjack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 09:40 PM   #34 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Like I said, this is usually done to produce pups that will be looked at for working purposes. It's a blue collar thing, and not usually bred in U.S.
cliffson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 10:18 PM   #35 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Rafi is either a pb mal or a mal x gsd. Someone dumped him out in the country and a nice guy took him in. I adopted him from the guy. He was about 1.5 years old then. I have been told by mal people that he is pb but who knows...

He's is so handsome that people often stop their cars to comment on him. He is super smart, extremely biddable and handler focused, very athletic, always ready for action, friendly with people and appropriate with other animals. He is not for the faint of heart--he responds well to a clear, consistent, strong leader who uses positive reinforcement. He is an absolutely amazing dog. I have nothing negative to say about him.

Rafi the malaroo
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238
Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
BowWowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 08:08 AM   #36 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffson1 View Post
Like I said, this is usually done to produce pups that will be looked at for working purposes. It's a blue collar thing, and not usually bred in U.S.
What means "blue collar"?
Catu's Pack
Catu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 09:53 AM   #37 (permalink)

"Blue collar" means working class where as "white collar" would be wealthy. So I'm guessing a "blue collar" dog breeding would be one that is strictly for providing working dogs, not show dogs or pretty dogs to be sold for large amounts of money.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 04:51 PM   #38 (permalink)
Crowned Member

A club member has one
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald, 2 x SchH3, Kkl 1
hunterisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 09:14 PM   #39 (permalink)
Master Member

One of my dogs is often assumed to be a german/mal mix. I don't have her papers so I'm not sure but several people who claim to be knowledgeable about shepherds have told me that she seems to be a mal mix
CeCe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.