GSD X Mal Cross? - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2013, 10:17 PM   #21 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I dunno, I kinda think this guy's cute xD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 01:09 AM   #22 (permalink)
Master Member

I like .

If the mix produces a medium dog with drive, tenacity, agility and speed tempered with trainability and a measure of intelligence I'm all in.

As someone already said I think you would see expressions ranging from one end of the spectrum to the other with this cross especially if both parent's pedigrees where not studied and matched well.
Keep back the best pups, breed them and repeat. Perhaps you would end with a dog thats has the better characteristics of both breeds and less of the downsides. As in more drive then the typical GSD, less sharp then a lot of mals and less hip issues then are common to GSDs.

Lol again this is all pie in the sky and it would take plenty of time to make that work not to mention a lot of experience breeding and matching dogs. Might make a fun retirement project for someone..
Blitzkrieg1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 01:59 AM   #23 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg1 View Post
I like .

If the mix produces a medium dog with drive, tenacity, agility and speed tempered with trainability and a measure of intelligence I'm all in.

As someone already said I think you would see expressions ranging from one end of the spectrum to the other with this cross especially if both parent's pedigrees where not studied and matched well.
Keep back the best pups, breed them and repeat. Perhaps you would end with a dog thats has the better characteristics of both breeds and less of the downsides. As in more drive then the typical GSD, less sharp then a lot of mals and less hip issues then are common to GSDs.

Lol again this is all pie in the sky and it would take plenty of time to make that work not to mention a lot of experience breeding and matching dogs. Might make a fun retirement project for someone..

Not necessary . It would be ideal, but genetics don't work that way. There are two ways to get results in breeding, one is selection where you keep only the best, basically what you described and was the beginning of today breeds, and the other is Outcrossing, which works with the effects of Hybrid Vigor. Then you NEED two different breeds, each with different strengths to mix each other and obtain a final "product" that with charactereristics that can't be reproduced by breeding each final cross to the other.

Think of the Broiler chicken you eat. There is nothing as a Broiler breed, there is a mix of four different breeds that originate grandmother lines, then mother lines and finally the chicken on your dish. The way those 4 breeds are crossed get even entirely different result if you use them in different ways, either as mother lines or as father lines. In the same way, given you are using the same lines of each breed, there is the possibility that if you cross a Mali female with a GSD sire could give you different pups than vice/versa
Catu's Pack
Catu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 03:19 AM   #24 (permalink)

That is a beautiful dog.
bitoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 12:48 PM   #25 (permalink)
Master Member

You calling Zoey ugly???
No I dont agree with cross breeding, stick to one or the other. In my case, I adopted Zoey.

Zoey- Adopted Belgian Malinois on 4/29/12
Princess- WGSD 3/15/01-9/21/11 Forever would've been to short...

Last edited by Nickyb; 01-07-2013 at 12:52 PM.
Nickyb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 01:11 PM   #26 (permalink)
Master Member

hmmm just reread my comment and it seemed a bit harsh lol I meant everything in a joking manner.

If you are looking into breeding and are looking for information on breeding a gsd x mal, I highly recommend not to do it. If your just wondering what they would look like, Zoey is an example, but they ALLLLL look completely different. Crossing the breed doesn't mean you'll get a designer breed that will generally look the same in every occurrence like a Jug or a labradoodle (sp?)

Zoey- Adopted Belgian Malinois on 4/29/12
Princess- WGSD 3/15/01-9/21/11 Forever would've been to short...
Nickyb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 01:24 PM   #27 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I have, a few times.

At training, we also work the police K9s. About 3 months ago, we had a new guy join us with his new partner that was imported from Holland. He's a Mali/GSD cross.

His body looks Mali, his head is a bit more GSD looking (but proportionate), his eyes have the GSD look but with the intensity of the Mali, his coat is a basically the same as a tight/short coat WL GSD, and his color is dark sable. He's smaller too... about 65lbs at around 24". Easy to carry, fast and agile on his feet. He doesn't miss anything.

The litter was bred for Police and Military dogs. I have to say, it's not normally a mix I'd really look at, but this dog is awesome. He's got the gentle nature of the GSD when not working, but when it's time to gear up.... he's a force to recon with. What makes him even more awesome is the fact that he takes the intensity of the Mali WITH the stability and loyalty of the GSD. He's literally the best of both breeds, which equals one heck of an awesome working dog.

Not saying I would suggest this mix, and I really have no time invested in researching them.... I've just seen a few nice ones here in my training group. I'm sure though, it could also be playing with fire. The worst of both breeds put together in a litter of 8-10 would be the apocalypse.
-Storm vom EnZ (05/16/12)
TrickyShepherd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 01:25 PM   #28 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickyb View Post
You calling Zoey ugly???
No I dont agree with cross breeding, stick to one or the other. In my case, I adopted Zoey.

She's adorable!
-Storm vom EnZ (05/16/12)
TrickyShepherd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 04:23 PM   #29 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The NADSR had a whole litter of GSD/Mal puppies (7). The father was working in law enforcement, I don't remember if the mother was anything special, but the "breeder" was hoping to make a lot of money. He sold exactly ONE. Luckily he surrended them all to the rescue. I went to look at them to possibly take one home, but they were huge and one of them bit my dog. I left empty handed after letting my own dog down by not protecting him.

The pups were very pretty. They had the fawn Malinois color with black masks, but had the rear angulation of a GSD. They could easily pass for a purebred GSD.

It's too bad that people just breed dogs without thinking ahead what is going to happen to them. Not to mention the weird looking dogs that come out. Most people don't want an ugly dog even if it can "bite". I'm talking mostly about the Pit Bull/Herding mixes. Ugh!

And, one more time, there is an actual breed called Dutch Shepherd (Hollandse Herder), that does not come from Malinois. The people with the mixes don't want you to know that. (They both evolved from the same general population of farm dogs over 100 years ago, as did the GSD. But with the exception of some interbreeding to renew the blood after WWII, they are not breed with Malinois, and do not look like Malinois. They are smaller, longer, have a different head shape, and different temperament.)
BlackPuppy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 04:29 PM   #30 (permalink)

Suki is a GSD X Mal and I happen to think she is beautiful
Attached Thumbnails
GSD X Mal Cross?-545100_585373310806_77500442_31802531_1695798959_n.jpg   GSD X Mal Cross?-534365_4095657315238_306999060_n.jpg   GSD X Mal Cross?-427451_578367824856_77500530_31768870_31668282_n.jpg  
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.