German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Breeding - General (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/breeding-general/)
-   -   incapable mother (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/breeding-general/197614-incapable-mother.html)

x11 01-03-2013 07:47 PM

incapable mother

first time i heard of this, a friend had a planned breeding with a first time mother (gsd's of course). the mother dropped the pups all over the kennel and cowered in the corner of th kennel geting as far away as possible from them snarling and bristles up. she killed two pups instantly before anyone could react. the shocked owners removed all the pups and lucky in that neighbourhood there were two pet dogs with litters that took on the pups straight away without fuss while still caring for their own pups. the pups have been surrogated and getting bottle supplements.

the female has an incredibly good temperament other than this and has zero dog agression and has owners kids playing with her and climbing all over her every other day before this happened - what went wrong??

Stevenzachsmom 01-03-2013 08:02 PM

I have heard of this happening before, but am not a breeder and have no idea why. I hope someone answers soon, as I am also interested.

LoveEcho 01-03-2013 08:29 PM

We had this happen with a dog at the kennel. Killed all puppies in the litter except for one.

What I understood was that she did it because she felt threatened. Normally we removed the pregnant bitches into a separate room days prior to their whelping... she gave birth early and unexpectedly (I was not working there at this point so I don't know what the exact circumstances were), surrounded by a dozen other dogs (all in their own runs, but still) in a very stressful environment. It's a fight-or-flight type situation, and if she's stressed she'd rather kill the puppies and be able to run/etc than risk the lives of everyone involved. I'm curious what the validity behind that is.

llombardo 01-03-2013 08:30 PM

Could it be that something is wrong with them and she senses it?

x11 01-03-2013 08:40 PM

the pups are physically healthy and evrything else seems normal at this stage. the reaction of the female like she was horrified and scared for her life from the pups.

Narny 01-03-2013 09:10 PM

When I was younger we had a cat that did this... she didnt even remove the sacks she just dropped them everywhere and walked away.

Is it possible that she didnt understand what was going on so she just dropped them?

llombardo 01-03-2013 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Narny (Post 2670717)
When I was younger we had a cat that did this... she didnt even remove the sacks she just dropped them everywhere and walked away.

Is it possible that she didnt understand what was going on so she just dropped them?

I always heard that cats would suffocate or ignore their kittens if there was something wrong with them....I thought I heard this about dogs to:confused:

selzer 01-03-2013 09:18 PM

When I have a litter due, especially with a new mother, I am there. Sometimes, I have to break the sack and rub the puppy until it squeaks and the bitch will take over. I keep her separated and safe from the other dogs. I do not bring people in to witness the miracle of birth. I am there helping with her, saying "push it out, push it out."

It sounds like this poor bitch was teamed up with some inexperienced owners who did not know how to create a den for her, reassure her, take an active part if necessary. Now both bitch and pups will suffer from their lack of doing what they should have.

Just because the pet dogs had milk and pups, does not mean they were still spewing cholostrum. That is extremely important. They should have muzzled the bitch and put the pups on her at least for 24 hours, they should have done this every 2-3 hours. Also they should have cleaned the pups and helped them urinate and defecate. Chances are the bitch would have come to herself and taken care of the pups, but if not, the pups would have gotten the immunity of having that cholostrum.

This is a terrible situation.

x11 01-03-2013 09:25 PM

yr out of line if you are saying the breeders somehow did wrong, this happened very quickly and while you would be saying soothing things like "push it out, push it out." the pups would have been torn to shreds.

Lauri & The Gang 01-03-2013 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x11 (Post 2670664)
first time i heard of this, a friend had a planned breeding with a first time mother (gsd's of course).

How old is the bitch?

Just because Mother Nature gave them a uterus doesn't mean that every female makes a perfect mother. Some just DO NOT.

I would suggest they spay that bitch and take a serious look into her background. Did this happen to any other bitches from that litter? From litters from that Sire or Dam (with different mates)?