Stud Service? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2013, 01:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Stud Service?

Morning

I have a question (non-gsd) related. Schatzi's little brother Cudi is an Alaskan Malamute. I got him off a reputable breeder. We keep in touch and last night she sent me an email asking if I would be interested in providing Cudi for Stud Services once he is old enough. She told me Cudi is by far the best dog produced by any of her litters. My plan was to neuter him at 6 months. She is willing to pay me $500 per service. She would like to use him 1-2 times a year. She lives about 3 hrs from me, therfore I would either have to make multiple trips while the female is in heat or I would have to leave him for a couple of days. I trust her because she takes perfect care of her dogs. But, when it comes to things of this nature I have no clue.

My question to you guys would be, what are the pros and cons?
lennoxbradley88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 01:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I think it's kind of odd, simply because he is so young and has not yet done anything to prove him truly breedworthy.
But I have no idea either so that's all I can really say.

Also--- He is gorgeous!
Old 01-03-2013, 01:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

The con would be the potential for infection (would she guarantee a brucellosis check), injury by one of her females, and he would be more keyed into looking for the ladies on his own.

Would she also pay for the x-rays and ofa certification and other possible health screenings that a reputable breeder would demand?

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 01:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
The con would be the potential for infection (would she guarantee a brucellosis check), injury by one of her females, and he would be more keyed into looking for the ladies on his own.

Would she also pay for the x-rays and ofa certification and other possible health screenings that a reputable breeder would demand?

She did guarantee a brucellosis check, however she made no mention of x-rays and ofa certification.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Isn't the female supposed to visit the male for stud service? That will help prevent the male from roaming, but of course he is a Malamute. The red flag( to me) is that she wants to use him 1 or 2 times a year. That is quite a lot for a male that has not proven himself. Personally I would go ahead and stick to your own plans or keep him intact and show him first. If he wins, X ray hips and elbows. Then you can ask way more for a stud fee. Otherwise you'll be just adding to the pet over population. Just visit CL and a few shelters. There are way too many dogs whose owners thought they were worth breeding for.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 01:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

If you respect her breeding program and her dogs, which based on your comments Im assuming you do. You should probably ask her your questions instead of folks on the net you dont know from Adam. Think about it this way you like the dog you got from her, you like her dogs and her kennel. Go with what you know over what you hear on the forums lol.
Blitzkrieg1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 01:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg1 View Post
If you respect her breeding program and her dogs, which based on your comments Im assuming you do. You should probably ask her your questions instead of folks on the net you dont know from Adam. Think about it this way you like the dog you got from her, you like her dogs and her kennel. Go with what you know over what you hear on the forums lol.

The reason I asked here is to get other people's perspectives. We have tons of EXPERIENCED dog owners here and I respect their opinion.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
Isn't the female supposed to visit the male for stud service? That will help prevent the male from roaming, but of course he is a Malamute. The red flag( to me) is that she wants to use him 1 or 2 times a year. That is quite a lot for a male that has not proven himself. Personally I would go ahead and stick to your own plans or keep him intact and show him first. If he wins, X ray hips and elbows. Then you can ask way more for a stud fee. Otherwise you'll be just adding to the pet over population. Just visit CL and a few shelters. There are way too many dogs whose owners thought they were worth breeding for.

Well she told me that the male should come to the female so she can feel more relaxed. Thanks
Old 01-03-2013, 01:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The females owner normally goes to the male....the male should have breed specific health clearances at the VERY LEAST if she is a reputable breeder. It is purely for her convenience that you would be taking or leaving your male with her for the breeding....and yes, that would be very convenient for her!!! If you don't have a problem with it, I don't see that it is a big deal - but just realize that this is for HER convenience and if he was breed worthy and others wanted to use him, you don't just leave your dog with whoever has a female in heat!

For a male with no health clearances, no show record or titles, $500 is a very generous stud fee IMO....

Lee

wolfstraum.net

wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 02:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

What makes a Malamute breed worthy? What kind of health testing do they do? What kind of working or show titles are they supposed to have? What kind of things do/should be automatic disqualifications for breeding?

I don't know - just wondering what they would look for.

Oh - how old is he - just read the second post...
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.