Stud Service? - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2013, 04:37 PM   #31 (permalink)

I'm going through this right now (have a male dog a few people want to use) so I'll just tell you my take on it....

My dog is 4 years old. He has OFA hips and elbows and his thyroid and DM tests are going off this week. Oh and I just sent off AKC DNA so we can register AI breedings. Then we also paid for a vet visit to make sure everything was working down there, made sure the dog would allow a vet to collect him, check sperm count, etc. None of this stuff is real cheap. When all is said and done the dog has more paperwork than my house, vehicle, and self combined, lol.

He has conformation titles, his breed survey, SchH title, and several other performance titles. The titles alone do not make him breedworthy but I've had this dog since 7 weeks and have spent countless hours and a countless amount of energy and money training him, working him, traveling with him, testing him in just about every situation I can think of. If I wasn't sure about him being breedworthy I wouldn't do it (or wait until I was sure).

As far as the breedings themselves, the female goes to the stud and because I'm just a normal person with an 8-5 job I don't board the bitch. I can help make arrangements locally by suggesting dog friendly hotels or boarding, but it's the breeder's responsibility to do the traveling. I have one vet that will do AI on the spot for me if they'd prefer that to live breeding and another repro vet that will collect for AI and ship chilled semen. Both are at the breeder's expense and this is above and beyond the stud fee. There are three clinics I could use for shipping chilled semen and unfortunately the most expensive one is the closest but that's my only option if someone needs me to take an hour off work to have a dog collected. The cost is what it is and I let the owner of the bitch make those arrangements with the repro clinic and they will call me in when they need my dog (depends on the heat cycle and progesterone testing).

The stud fee is what it is, there is no negotiating (other than accepting a pick puppy in lieu). I know what I feel my dog is worth and what it is worth to me to go through this trouble getting him ready for breeding and making sure he's available (and believe me he'd probably have to sire 300 litters before I'd even break even with stud fees covering the expense I have put into my dog!). I don't "discount" for a friend or the breeder of the dog or anything like that. It's a fair fee and my contract will always be the same.

Between every live breeding the dog will be tested for brucellosis, at my expense. I also require that for any live breeding, the bitch tests negative for brucellosis within 10 days of the breeding. There are some other requirements as far as age, health test, etc in the stud contract (and I will follow up on them before breeding to make sure everything checks out) but I absolutely won't mess around with brucellosis even if it is rare.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Last edited by Liesje; 01-03-2013 at 04:40 PM.
Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 04:42 PM   #32 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Liesje - out of curiosity...if a bitch owner agreed to all of your terms, but you felt for certain that it would not be a good cross...how would you respectfully decline?
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 04:48 PM   #33 (permalink)

I would just say sorry, I don't think it's a good idea. If I have reservations, I say what they are and feel out the rest. Some people know their dog's side of the pedigree way more than I do. Ultimately, they are the ones placing puppies and possibly taking them back if something goes wrong. I haven't had any problems so far though this is a brand new thing for me and I have a lot of good help (this isn't something I agreed to and am cooking up stud contracts on my own,I have my mentors even though I have the easy side of the breeding.). Well, I've had a few wackos e-mail me but that's happened since Nikon was born. Those I just ignore/delete completely.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 04:49 PM   #34 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanKBBMMMAAN View Post
I think you sound like an above average pet owner - I think most people faced with an easy bunch of money for doing not much would do it. Good for you.
Well, yeah, I guess my definition of "average pet owner" is, we got our pets to be pets, not to breed them or have them studded out!

I'd still say "average pet owner", but "responsible average pet owner"
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 08:56 PM   #35 (permalink)
Elite Member

For what it is worth, no breeder can restrict "breeding" rights. If the dog is sold to you on a full AKC registration, they can not restrict your rights to breed the dog. This is what the limited AKC registration is for. The breeder can, however, have a separate contract between the two of you and can try to hold you to the terms in court, should it progress to that level.

I had a breeder try to do this to me in the past. She agreed to sell me a female dog, but told me that I had no breeding rights. I walked away and refused to even entertain such a proposal. Since we both were involved in AKC conformation, the dog had to be sold to me on a full AKC registration in order for the dog to be shown. She could not then "restrict" breeding rights according to the AKC. It has to be either a full registration or a limited (non-breeding) registration. I got a different dog from another breeder.

Sabra - female GSD - born April 30, 2012
Sargeant - rescued senior GSD male/foster failure - approximately ten years old (August 2013)
Max - rescued GSD - Dec 22, 2010 to March 7, 2012 - at the bridge
Sable - rescued GSD - at the bridge
WVGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.