Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
I'm going through this right now (have a male dog a few people want to use) so I'll just tell you my take on it....
My dog is 4 years old. He has OFA hips and elbows and his thyroid and DM tests are going off this week. Oh and I just sent off AKC DNA so we can register AI breedings. Then we also paid for a vet visit to make sure everything was working down there, made sure the dog would allow a vet to collect him, check sperm count, etc. None of this stuff is real cheap. When all is said and done the dog has more paperwork than my house, vehicle, and self combined, lol.
He has conformation titles, his breed survey, SchH title, and several other performance titles. The titles alone do not make him breedworthy but I've had this dog since 7 weeks and have spent countless hours and a countless amount of energy and money training him, working him, traveling with him, testing him in just about every situation I can think of. If I wasn't sure about him being breedworthy I wouldn't do it (or wait until I was sure).
As far as the breedings themselves, the female goes to the stud and because I'm just a normal person with an 8-5 job I don't board the bitch. I can help make arrangements locally by suggesting dog friendly hotels or boarding, but it's the breeder's responsibility to do the traveling. I have one vet that will do AI on the spot for me if they'd prefer that to live breeding and another repro vet that will collect for AI and ship chilled semen. Both are at the breeder's expense and this is above and beyond the stud fee. There are three clinics I could use for shipping chilled semen and unfortunately the most expensive one is the closest but that's my only option if someone needs me to take an hour off work to have a dog collected. The cost is what it is and I let the owner of the bitch make those arrangements with the repro clinic and they will call me in when they need my dog (depends on the heat cycle and progesterone testing).
The stud fee is what it is, there is no negotiating (other than accepting a pick puppy in lieu). I know what I feel my dog is worth and what it is worth to me to go through this trouble getting him ready for breeding and making sure he's available (and believe me he'd probably have to sire 300 litters before I'd even break even with stud fees covering the expense I have put into my dog!). I don't "discount" for a friend or the breeder of the dog or anything like that. It's a fair fee and my contract will always be the same.
Between every live breeding the dog will be tested for brucellosis, at my expense. I also require that for any live breeding, the bitch tests negative for brucellosis within 10 days of the breeding. There are some other requirements as far as age, health test, etc in the stud contract (and I will follow up on them before breeding to make sure everything checks out) but I absolutely won't mess around with brucellosis even if it is rare.
Last edited by Liesje; 01-03-2013 at 04:40 PM.