Stud Service? - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2013, 02:46 PM   #21 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Everything you have answered says this person is just breeding their family pets. I'm sorry you had a bad experience with your GSD, but although the Mal breeder might be better and might care a little more, she's still a BYB. She doesn't health certify, I'm guessing she doesn't show, and probably doesn't do any kind of mushing or obedience titling.

The weirdest thing is that she wants her own puppy back into her lines...how many dogs does she have? What dam would she use that isn't related to your current puppy? Being as young as he is, she should still have the dam he came out of. So why would she need your pup?

Here's the funny thing...you said, "a good breeder to me is one who breeds the healthiest puppies possible." Without OFA certification, she doesn't do this. There is no way to know the health of a puppy/dog in the future, but this is one of those tests that at least helps you try to make the best decision based on hips. Sorry to bring this up, but you have a very young dog. You have no idea what kind of issues will come up in the future, you also have no idea how healthy his hips are at the moment since the parents weren't OFA and neither has he.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 02:46 PM   #22 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennoxbradley88 View Post
Thank You
The parents aren't OFA certified. I learned something new to day. I may have used the word "reputable" a bit loose here. =/

Yes I am an average pet owner, and to be honest with you I think I will just stick to my plan of neautering him.
Sounds like a good and responsible thing to do.

I think what your breeder means is "he's adorable/cute and I can make money on puppies out of him".
Sad way to learn a life lesson, I'm sorry
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 02:50 PM   #23 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Quote:
Thank You
The parents aren't OFA certified. I learned something new to day. I may have used the word "reputable" a bit loose here. =/

Yes I am an average pet owner, and to be honest with you I think I will just stick to my plan of neautering him.
I think you sound like an above average pet owner - I think most people faced with an easy bunch of money for doing not much would do it. Good for you.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:53 PM   #24 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanKBBMMMAAN View Post
I think you sound like an above average pet owner - I think most people faced with an easy bunch of money for doing not much would do it. Good for you.
LoveEcho is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 02:58 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by martemchik View Post
Everything you have answered says this person is just breeding their family pets. I'm sorry you had a bad experience with your GSD, but although the Mal breeder might be better and might care a little more, she's still a BYB. She doesn't health certify, I'm guessing she doesn't show, and probably doesn't do any kind of mushing or obedience titling.

The weirdest thing is that she wants her own puppy back into her lines...how many dogs does she have? What dam would she use that isn't related to your current puppy? Being as young as he is, she should still have the dam he came out of. So why would she need your pup?

Here's the funny thing...you said, "a good breeder to me is one who breeds the healthiest puppies possible." Without OFA certification, she doesn't do this. There is no way to know the health of a puppy/dog in the future, but this is one of those tests that at least helps you try to make the best decision based on hips. Sorry to bring this up, but you have a very young dog. You have no idea what kind of issues will come up in the future, you also have no idea how healthy his hips are at the moment since the parents weren't OFA and neither has he.

Thanks for your input She has 3 females and 3 males. However, she said she will be retiring one of her males soon. I don't know if that might be a reason she would want Cudi for breeding. But I will just stick to my plan. I plan on neautering him next month and get him to pass the CGC test and hopefully he can become a therapy dog. Probably she was also interested in him because I told him what I planned to do with Cudi. lol
lennoxbradley88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 02:59 PM   #26 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
The reason I asked here is to get other people's perspectives. We have tons of EXPERIENCED dog owners here and I respect their opinion.
Owning a dog does not imply that one's opinion is educated. One thing I have learned from forums is for every knowledgable poster there are about 10 which cant see beyond their own preconcieved biases and in actuality very limited experiences. If you ever get out to a K9 Sport club you will find that many of the vets with proven dogs and many years of experience dont bother with forums or the net and laugh when you even bring them up. Forums have value but take it all with a HUGE grain of salt. I am one that strongly respects proven ability over talk. Hence why I suggested that you go with what you know about the breeder over opinions on the net.
Again not discounting the forums there are some very knowledgable posters on here that dont post enough as far as Im concerned but again its the net not gospel.
Blitzkrieg1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 03:00 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanKBBMMMAAN View Post

Thanks I just want to do what is best for my dogs. My dogs mean a lot more than money...
lennoxbradley88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 03:12 PM   #28 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I guess I would ask the breeder some of the questions that were posed here...maybe she is able to evaluate the dog at this age-I would talk to the breeder before I made any decision-either way
holland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 03:13 PM   #29 (permalink)
Crowned Member

And how do you prove a malmute breeder worthy-schutzhund titling certainly isn't a possibility
Old 01-03-2013, 03:14 PM   #30 (permalink)
Crowned Member

or maybe it is-lol-I will stop now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.