Breeders selecting new homes? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2012, 09:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Breeders selecting new homes?

I've read from different breeders that they are selective in placing their puppies. I was wondering how many breeders have rejected potential new homes for their puppies and what criteria they used to make that decision.
ksotto333 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2012, 11:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

The best breeders are very selective. Not just cause of all the crap homes with crap owners that don't know how to raise a dog.

But also just from homes/lifestyles that may not be appropriate for a particular litter at a particular time. I know I was talking to a breeder and wanted a female pup while already having 2 bitches in my house. She refused to give me a female pup from her upcoming litter because knowing the mom of the litter and her temperment just thought there may be an issue with adding another girl to my mix. So it wasn't anything personal......... it was about a great breeder really knowing her dogs and wanting the best home for the pups in the end.

So I got turned down and I'm the best dog owner ever !!!!

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 12:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

In rescue we also avoid same-sex placements unless the owner is experienced and able to handle crate/rotate and not bring the dog back.
Which is rare. Unusual.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 12:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

On my last litter, the Ks, a couple of people, including 2 this forum really wanted a same sex pup as their present dog initially- knowing that the dam's and her littermates were all dominant dogs, I would not sell a same sex pup to either...after alot of discussion, both understood my reasoning and went with my choice....worked fine...

I have refused to sell pups to many people - nicely of course! For many reasons...from the buyers expressed raising/training philosophy to just did not like the people - overall I think I am only distressed about the placements of 3 or 4 pups/dogs where I feel I made a mistake about the owners suitability.

Lee

wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 01:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieRoseLee View Post
The best breeders are very selective. Not just cause of all the crap homes with crap owners that don't know how to raise a dog.

But also just from homes/lifestyles that may not be appropriate for a particular litter at a particular time. I know I was talking to a breeder and wanted a female pup while already having 2 bitches in my house. She refused to give me a female pup from her upcoming litter because knowing the mom of the litter and her temperment just thought there may be an issue with adding another girl to my mix. So it wasn't anything personal......... it was about a great breeder really knowing her dogs and wanting the best home for the pups in the end.

So I got turned down and I'm the best dog owner ever !!!!

Ditto to the above...my brother and his wife own a German Shorthair kennel and they have turned down numerous puppy applicants. They screen them very carefully and are absolutely unwilling to place a puppy or a dog with people that they don't think are appropriate.
Odin (GSD 8/28/13)
Cosmo-space cat
Chess-fuzzy cat
Valentine-our ragdoll cat
Two great skin kids
3dognite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 02:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

But also just from homes/lifestyles that may not be appropriate for a particular litter at a particular time.

My breeder had mentioned that the litter she had was not right for me, but she did think another litter would be fine. I never really questioned her about why - I assumed it was because I was inexperienced and maybe the other litter would be too much for me. But I had complete faith in the breeder and was happy to go with whatever litter she thought was best.
LaneyB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 06:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfstraum View Post
On my last litter, the Ks, a couple of people, including 2 this forum really wanted a same sex pup as their present dog initially- knowing that the dam's and her littermates were all dominant dogs, I would not sell a same sex pup to either...after alot of discussion, both understood my reasoning and went with my choice....worked fine...

Lee
*Raising my hand*
I wanted a male, Lee said no - female, I said Ok, I'm happy as a clam.

And from watching Kaos and Dante it was the right decision!!

"Today is tomorrow's time machine" ~ Dr G ~
Barb E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 06:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I have turned down people. I wish I would have turned down a couple of others. My favorite was the hag that told me she trained her last dog to stay out of the garbage by duct taping rotted meat to its muzzle for three days. Yeah, I am going to sell her a puppy.

Another favorite were the couple that came while I was showing a pup to some other people. The couple came out of the car and were afraid of Jenna. Jenna's a ***** cat. "Will she bite?" Oh come on lady, like I am going to bring a dog out to meet you that is going to bite you? Whatever. They weren't going to let the dog in the house, because "big dogs should be outside." So you are afraid of GSDs and you are going to own one that stays outside? Well, I think you will have to get it from someone other than me.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 06:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

There are a few litters that I'm looking at and this topic actually briefly came up when discussing litters with a breeder recently. This is an exert from part of the email. Not going to mention any specific names or kennels, but you'll get the idea.

"I had a guy contact me recently wanting a pup. Lives in a condo. Works 8-9 hour days. Said he'd walk her 3X a day. I declined him. I want what is best for my dogs. Not to say he was a bad home, I just don't think my dogs are fit for him."

As mentioned, the good breeders are selective where their dogs go because they care - for the dogs and for their potential customers. They match the right dog up with the right home. The breeder is doing the dog and potential family a disservice by not being so thorough. They ask questions and they do their best to place their pups in the best possible homes.

Now the breeders who just sell any dog to any family... those are the breeders you'd want to avoid.
Lucy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 06:41 PM   #10 (permalink)

I passed my breeders screening without even realising I was being screened. I thought I was just there to check out the puppies. It was only as I was speaking to them about an upcoming litter for my second dog that they mentioned that they'd rejected people from the previous litter and wouldn't be selling to a couple of people that were after a dog from the upcoming litter because they didn't like them.

Looking back on the first meeting I guess it was kind of obvious, I met all their adult dogs and spent a couple of hours chatting about my previous dogs, family and friends current dogs, how I was planning on raising this one etc. etc.

LOL! At the time I just thought they were talkative friendly people.
Ziltoid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.