Breeders selecting new homes? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013, 05:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
Elite Member

It's good to know that breeders are looking out for their pups....I think that would be the scariest part of breeding, turning them over.
ksotto333 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 05:52 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Even with good screening, people can be cons. Tell the breeder what they want to hear because they've done it over and over.
I think shipping a pup without actually meeting a prospective buyer would be difficult and I'd probably only do it if I had good references from other dog people that I trusted.
There was a recent incident where a puppy died of exposure and the new owner wouldn't do a necropsy, and somehow was able to pull money out of the breeders account so payment wasn't made either. It is still being investigated, but I tend to blame the breeder, should have done a better screening. The breeder is still giving the puppy owner benefit of the doubt, which is very puzzling to me, because that owner has a history and is still playing onto the breeders heartstrings.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:53 PM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I think its pretty tough to be denied by a breeder. The guidelines are generally not that strict that people get denied all the time. I know some working breeders will deny pet homes that just plan on their dog sitting on the couch and then letting the dog out into the yard, and some won't like it if you plan on having an outdoor dog (but there aren't many people that plan on doing that). I know breeders will generally give working homes or show homes more consideration when it comes to placing a puppy, but that doesn't necessarily mean they'll deny a pet home if the dog is right for that home.

The breeder that denied the guy that was going to work 8-9 hours a day...can't say why he did it. There aren't many homes out there where people don't work that many hours a day. Kind of rediculous to hope for your dogs to be placed in homes with stay at home parents or people that might work from home. But then again...most good breeders don't have a shortage of customers and can be picky. It's not like they have 10 puppies, find 6 homes, and then are scrambling to find 4 more. Most good breeders have 10 puppies and have a 30 person waiting list for those pups.
martemchik is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 06:33 PM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The condo and working 8-9 hours a day would not stop me from selling them a pup. But something else might, like telling me their last 7 dogs were stupid, or telling me they have 13 dogs and they all run together. Why I do not want to sell someone a dog is not always evident, even to me. But the two times that I went against my gut and sold pups to people I thought I shouldn't, I was right and got those dogs back.

I reserve the right to NOT sell a dog to anyone for any reason or no reason. This is why I don't like taking deposits. If I take a deposit and then meet the people and decide they are not people I want to sell a dog to, then I might be kind of legally bound to sell the pup. I don't like that idea at all.

I mean, most people who put down a deposit on a puppy give you that money months or maybe even a year early so that they have a pup reserved out of a litter. If you turn around and sell the pup out from under them, and then offer them their money back, they will be ticked and will go away unhappy, but that will be the end of it. But pick the wrong person to do that too, and they may just take you to court over it. I am thinking about dogs from the top show lines that are currently winning in the ring. They may have a case too.

I have to feel I am doing the right thing by my puppies, and that means turning some people down. I don't have red flags and I don't make people fill out a questionaire, but I plan to spend a good long time on the phone with them, and have questions that are aimed just to get or keep the person talking about their dogs. Anyone can download a form and fill it out with what they think a breeder wants to hear. But when people are talking with you, you can give them enough rope and they will hang themselves.

Usually by the time I meet them in person, and watch them with the puppies, I have already given them a clean bill of health and it usually works out just fine. Usually.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.