Westminster-Ultimate Goal For Breeders? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2012, 06:05 AM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
my dog went to Westminster several times.
Westminster Maryland and Westminster Pa.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfaeries View Post
LOL doggiedad. Reminds me of the time I spent in Paris. Paris, Texas.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2012, 08:18 AM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I don't even bother to watch it.

the purebred AKC show fancy is not large in terms of percentages of litters bred in GSDs - of which I believe the largest segment is BYB - the Euro breeders don't aspire to this show as it is apples and oranges to be polite about it....

Lee
Csabre Sch1, Hexe Sch2, SG Bengal, Komet, Kira HGH & Kougar v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia BH ~ ATB Basha Sch3 IPO3, Danger Sch1 RH SAR ~ Kougar Sch3, Kyra Sch3, Cito Sch2, Alice Sch1, Kelsey CD, Ret ~ Fenja Sch3s

wolfstraum.net
wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 09:07 AM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I have plenty of AKC focused breeders at my club. They produce very nice dogs and recently we've had more than a few dogs go select at the nationals and also a few grand victors/victrix.

A lot of them really just want to do well at nationals and if they get invited to the big show they'll go. It must take a lot of time and money though in order to do that and since most of their points are made regionally they don't get that much recognition nationally.

I'm not a conformation person, but I understand that its just a part of the dog world and sadly that's where the big bucks are made when it comes to breeding dogs. Most of our breeders do make it down to the nationals every year and do pretty well, its nice to have a club that is quite successful. But I don't believe they really focus their breeding efforts to making the big show, probably more towards winning grand victor/victrix but that's really a goal of any breeder that is looking for correct conformation.
martemchik is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 08:50 PM   #14 (permalink)
"I like Daffy" Moderator

I had a dog win an Award f Merit at Westminster in 2005. I planned for the campaign to get him invited and made sure we attended enough shows and defeated enough dogs. We ended up as the #2 dog in the country for GSD's defeated and #4 for all-breeds defeated. It was my one year to do this, and then I went back to my obedience training. The chase was thrilling, but I'm not sure I would ever do it again.

Home of Ch Doll; U-CDx Jag CDX GN RE NAP NJP OA AXJ(ch ptd); and Ch. Fisher (Mr. Evil)
At the Bridge: Ch Kahla CD; Ch Keno UD HSAs OA; Ch Kizzy HSAs RE; Ch Tag CD RAE2; Ch Pharra; Bee PT; Ch Natty; Ch Red the Dachshund
Andaka is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 08:17 AM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

??? So going to Westminister is based on statistics??? I know a Viszla breeder here locally, who has done well at the National as a breeder, and her sometime handler (also a breeder) goes to Westminster every year and has gotten as far as a Group placing....I did not realize that getting there was more the result of how much you could travel and show (and of course place - Winners or BOW???) ... One horse show circuit I used to do pointed on numbers of horses in class and I thought that was very fair.....a 15 horse class gave 15 - 14 - 13 -12 - 11 points for first 5 horses, and a 3 horse class gave 3 - 2- 1 points.....

Congrats Andaka, quite an accomplishment!

Lee
Csabre Sch1, Hexe Sch2, SG Bengal, Komet, Kira HGH & Kougar v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia BH ~ ATB Basha Sch3 IPO3, Danger Sch1 RH SAR ~ Kougar Sch3, Kyra Sch3, Cito Sch2, Alice Sch1, Kelsey CD, Ret ~ Fenja Sch3s

wolfstraum.net
wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 12:53 PM   #16 (permalink)
Knighted Member

You have to get out there and campaign your dog to get it ranked. You need to have a lot of Best of Breeds (BOB) and Group placements, etc. Dogs that are in the top 5 of their breed, and the winners of their national specialties are automatically invited to Westminster.

It's incredibly expensive to show dogs, so you can only imagine how much it costs to get a dog ranked. The travel expenses, entry fees, handler fees. I know I don't have that kind of money, lol! I'm going to special (show in Best of Breed competition) Carly and try for her grand championship. But we stop there. She has a litter sister that is a grand champion, whose owner is working on getting her ranked. I talked to her owner last year and she was eligible for Westminster then, but didn't go. She said her handler fee alone would be $1500. Yikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com App

Carly ~ AKC Champion, GCh pointed, HIC
Sage ~ AKC Ch. pointed (13 pts - chasing that last major), HIC
Russell ~ the big boy
Zelda ~ 14 yo Italian Greyhound, puppymill rescue
Mimi ~ the meezer
dogfaeries is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 01:13 PM   #17 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Even if I had that sort of cash I wouldn't be interested in any sort of conformation competition.

I'm not sure why, but this sort of competition seems so cold and impersonal to me concerning the dog.

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
MichaelE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 01:27 PM   #18 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I don't find it to be cold and impersonal at all. I guess if you just send your dog out with a handler, and don't participate yourself, then I can see that. But we go to the shows with our dogs. My girls have a good time.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com App

Carly ~ AKC Champion, GCh pointed, HIC
Sage ~ AKC Ch. pointed (13 pts - chasing that last major), HIC
Russell ~ the big boy
Zelda ~ 14 yo Italian Greyhound, puppymill rescue
Mimi ~ the meezer
dogfaeries is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 08:51 PM   #19 (permalink)
"I like Daffy" Moderator

Westminster KC has a limited entry, so the top 5 dogs of each breed are invited, then the entry is filled with dogs that enter after that. I wanted the invite so that I didn't have to worry about getting in later.
Home of Ch Doll; U-CDx Jag CDX GN RE NAP NJP OA AXJ(ch ptd); and Ch. Fisher (Mr. Evil)
At the Bridge: Ch Kahla CD; Ch Keno UD HSAs OA; Ch Kizzy HSAs RE; Ch Tag CD RAE2; Ch Pharra; Bee PT; Ch Natty; Ch Red the Dachshund
Andaka is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.