Puppies Around Christmas - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2012, 11:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My DH surprised us with a puppy on Christmas. We were on our way to my moms for dinner and he said we had to stop somewhere first. I was not happy at all...first because the breeder was not a responsible one and second because I would have gone with a rescue if I'd known we could add another dog to the family.
The breeder only had two pups left at her place out of 9....they were matched previously to their owners/they were only 7 weeks old.
Red flags everywhere, but I couldn't tell my DH this was a poor idea. He planned out everything(except choosing a good breeder!) and it would have broken his heart if I'd refused the pup.
Looking back it was fine to get a pup on Christmas, as posted above, people do have time off to get puppy adjusted.
The 'surprise' factor is the main issue I see. And no breeder that is responsible allows a pup to be gifted as a surprise like that...it isn't fair to the pup if everyone isn't on board with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 09:10 AM   #12 (permalink)

I'm fine with Christmas litters. You can't control when a bitch goes into heat and a lot of people are trying to balance access to a good stud dog, the bitch's training and trialing schedule, etc plus most of the breeders I know have a waiting list or people who have expressed interest in the *litter*/bitch not the timing of the litter. I don't really see it as being any different - screen potential homes, match the puppies appropriately. If someone says they just want a dog as a gift for someone, don't sell the dog.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 11:55 AM   #13 (permalink)
Elite Member

Gizmo (my male JRT) was ready to go just before Christmas. But when it came time to schedule when we took him home, the breeder told us we had to wait until after New Year's. I didn't argue with her, but it irked me. Christmas is a great time for us to bring a puppy home. We don't travel, don't decorate the whole house, and we just have a few people over on Christmas day. We DID have 2-3 weeks completely free that we could have devoted to him. As it was, we brought him home on January 1st or 2nd, right before we had to go back to work/school. I felt like, if we'd had the 2 weeks to devote to him, we would have been able to have him housebroken more quickly.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who shouldn't bring a dog home just before Christmas, but I don't think it's a rule that applies to everyone.

I wouldn't skip breeding a litter just because puppies would be ready to go around Christmas. However, I HATE to see litters of anything being advertised intentionally as "Christmas litters."

Kira von Wolfstraum HGH
PAM ARCH SG Kessy vom Waldwinkel 2xHGH Schh1 OB2 RL1X RL3 RN TT AD
Djenga von Castra Regina RL2 BH HIC TT
Madina vom Arolser Holz BH AD CGC
The JRT's: ARCHX Gizmo TT RL1X RL2X RL3 & Cricket RL2
phgsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 01:53 PM   #14 (permalink)

We are expecting our new baby on the 27th. The breeder knows we have children and although I brought it up first she reminded me that not everyone celebrates Christmas.
I do rescue for kitties and always have the families with children under twelve wrap up a photo (I usually make a little photo book with cute sayings!) and have them out goodies in there too. I would say it really depends on the family.
AngelynsMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.