breeding my GSD - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2012, 06:15 PM   #21 (permalink)
x11
Banned

? have posted many pics of my "gsd", he does not have papers. one side of his ped has unpapered dogs.

could i still get papers if i wanted them? would one of them genetics test kits be enought to prove his breed?
x11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 06:16 PM   #22 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Oh my. Everyone is feeling sensitive. Have we ever seen one of these threads end well? Called it like I see it (sorry if I'm wrong, but it reeks in the T word). Either way, this will go for 234 post and almost positively end in it getting locked. IMO what I said is much better than the emotions and arguments that will be going on for days. Cheers to all!
GSDElsa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 06:21 PM   #23 (permalink)
x11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Schaub View Post
you must go no where, write it by yourself. we have here so many titles, organizations and companies!!!who have a clue what is real and what is fake.

have check a few males out in the last weeks and have give up to find the truth behind titles.

haha a reputable breeder just showed me how to catch the wave of popularity of czech dogs how you can take pure wg line dogs and sell some as wg and get czech paper-work on others and sell them as czech dogs
Old 11-28-2012, 06:21 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
TO: Stefan, holland and GSDELSA, comments like yours send people back to where they come from and do their own thing. So your advice will be counterproductive, it is not helpful and not kind. People come to this forum to get educated and to get help. Just because you may know more about the GSD than others, doesn't mean you should ridicule or put people down. We all started out as novices.
Agreed. How do real 'breeders' start off ? By being a rookie.... It just doesn't come naturally.. sheesh.
kelina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 06:26 PM   #25 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by x11 View Post
? have posted many pics of my "gsd", he does not have papers. one side of his ped has unpapered dogs.

could i still get papers if i wanted them? would one of them genetics test kits be enought to prove his breed?
Sorry if this doesn't fit in this thread:
The AKC can still register him but in a different category. I believe you have to submit pictures to show the breed. But here's the "catch": in order to attend AKC events they require him to be neutered. WD's dam is AKC but not his sire so I am in the same boat. But I am not going to have him neutered just because of these AKC policies.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 06:44 PM   #26 (permalink)
x11
Banned

wow, so what about all the top wl dogs coming out of holland that are not fci dogs, they cannot compete in akc events? seems a step backwards in promoting quality genes. i know a guy who just paid a lot of money for one. he has the parents names and the rest of the ped shows "unkown".
Old 11-28-2012, 06:48 PM   #27 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Anyone who breeds their bitch is a breeder. That is how one starts out breeding. The preparation prior to breeding that bitch, and the decisions you make in breeding the bitch -- that will determine whether or not you have a leg-up on becoming an excellent breeder, or if you are in danger of becoming part of the problem.

Breeding a standard size GSD bitch, which I take to mean a bitch between 22-24 inches at the whithers, and somewhere in the ball park of sixty some pounds, to a giant shepherd is the question. Frankly, I do not think it will be any more dangerous than breeding the bitch to a standard male. I mean, I have heard of the weirdest hook-ups chi-doberan etc. Obviously if you have a 120 pound male and a 8 pound bitch, that isn't going to work so well. But a 120 pound male can probably breed with a 60 pound female without serious repercussions.

The size of the puppies at birth will be dependent on the number of puppies that are thriving, and the nutrition the bitch is given. Even Leonbergers are approximately a pound or so at birth, so it is conceivable that a litter of Leonberger puppies could be surgically planted inside a GSD and whelping would most likely go off without a hitch. So I in my best opinion, a standard-sized bitch could whelp and raise a litter of puppies out of a giant male without any more trouble than what is possible with any breeding: stuck puppy, pre-mature labor, end of labor with puppies still within (distocia?), eclampsia, dead puppies, dead bitch, and some I simply am not thinking of.

I don't think that the ethical or moral aspects of breeding this combination was asked for. But since the moon is full, I might as well add that opinion as well: why? Why take a bitch who is within the standard and breed her to a dog that is seriously over-sized? If you aim is to produce large dogs, why not start with a large bitch and breed her to a large dog? When you become versed in breeding, you will see that balance is what is needed. If you have a dog who is under-angulated, the proper thing to do is to breed to a dog with correct angulation, not an over-angulated dog. The idea is to produce a dog that best fits the standard. If you are already starting with a bitch who is within size-wise, why would you want to use a large dog? I think you would have a better chance at getting what you want if you start with a bitch and dog that complement one another. If you have a bitch who is far different from the dog, you will probably get puppies that are all over the place, and you will have no way of telling how big they are likely to get.

And the people who might want these puppies will want to know this. I mean, you can show them Fido - 120# and Bella - 60# and say somewhere around that big.

Jenna, RN CGC & Babs, CD RA CGC HIC
Heidi, RA CGC
SG3 Odessa, SchH1, Kkl1, AD
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 10:21 PM   #28 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by x11 View Post
wow, so what about all the top wl dogs coming out of holland that are not fci dogs, they cannot compete in akc events? seems a step backwards in promoting quality genes. i know a guy who just paid a lot of money for one. he has the parents names and the rest of the ped shows "unkown".
If they have full registry in their country of origin, given that the AKC recognizes this registry, the AKC will transfer these papers to AKC registry.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 10:29 PM   #29 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
The idea is to produce a dog that best fits the standard.
This. Otherwise you're just making a bunch more pets and the world is already full enough of pet dogs.
Even when breeding the 'best of the best' to each other you're going to wind up with pet quality pups, so shoot for the moon
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 12:47 AM   #30 (permalink)
Master Member

Cbrumley, since you are in Louisiana, please know that in nearly every public shelter in our state, beautiful German Shepherd Dogs are being euthanized because there are TOO MANY being bred indiscriminately. There aren't homes for them all. Please, please, please don't add to the overpopulation of GSDs in Louisiana who may eventually end up in shelters -- breeders never mean for the puppies they produce to land in shelters, but too many do anyway. That's often such a sad end to a dog's life. If you doubt what I'm saying, German Shepherd Rescue of North Louisiana is near you and can show you examples of beautiful purebred dogs who ended up in the Shreveport shelter.

In Louisiana, we have a glut of over-sized GSDs because amateur breeders are producing a lot of them -- and if they are seniors, they often suffer from the bad breeding choices with arthritis or worse.
Magwart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.