German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Breeding - General (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/breeding-general/)
-   -   Breeding Setups (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/breeding-general/195104-breeding-setups.html)

bethany.cole2013 11-25-2012 10:13 PM

Breeding Setups

So yet another question. I hope you guys aren't getting tired of me asking questions =( I'm wondering if there are any breeders on here that wouldn't mind sharing pictures/details of how they are set up? I'm trying to get a feel for how the better breeders are set up and what those set ups look like.

onyx'girl 11-25-2012 10:17 PM

Look at this site, I'd love to have this if I were a breeder. The link has several wonderful articles and links within.

elisabeth_00117 11-25-2012 10:20 PM

I love Chris and Tim's site!

They seem to have a wonderful set-up.

Also - those baby photo's - EEK! ;)

bethany.cole2013 11-25-2012 10:27 PM

That is a very nice whelping setup, but I was also wondering about how well known and respected breeders keep their individual dogs.

BritneyP 11-27-2012 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bethany.cole2013 (Post 2639234)
That is a very nice whelping setup, but I was also wondering about how well known and respected breeders keep their individual dogs.

Can you elaborate on what, exactly, you mean by that?

x0emiroxy0x 11-27-2012 09:57 PM

I think she is asking more along the lines of something like Selzer's set-up....Like how the parents are kept when not breeding.

onyx'girl 11-27-2012 10:21 PM

The link I posted had that information included...very transparent breeder who is well known and respected :)
It probably depends on the individual breeder and how many dogs they have/whether or not they have studs on property and if, or if not they work their dogs. Many breeders have training fields or facilities on property so they have access to train as often as possible.
Outdoor kennel set up would also vary according to the environment.
Commercial kennels will have buildings/kennels and whelping areas, but no 'home'.

just my opinion on all of the above, but I favor the smaller, hobby kennel where the dogs are part of the family and the breeder knows that dog individually, not just as a part of the business.

bethany.cole2013 12-01-2012 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x0emiroxy0x (Post 2640994)
I think she is asking more along the lines of something like Selzer's set-up....Like how the parents are kept when not breeding.

That is what I was trying to say lol. Like where the dogs are kept, the layout of the facilities etc when they aren't breeding dogs and when they aren't whelping puppies.

lhczth 12-02-2012 05:42 PM

No pictures, but my dogs are house dogs that rotate between crates, sometimes the dog yards and house. Having girls that HATE each other requires this. They each have their buddy they can be with, have their time when they hang out with me and then the girls rotate getting to sleep loose.

Donvan's rather large wire crate is in the living room which is the room I spend the most time in. I have 4 large crates in my bedroom for the girls, 2 in my dining room and a couple in my back room. When anyone is in heat (and right now that can only be Deja or Elena) they are in my bedroom with the door shut and several gates blocking access to the room. If I have to leave, either the female in heat goes with me, Donovan goes with me or Donovan is outside in the dog yard. I don't like leaving my dogs outside when I am not home.

During the day we either train, go running, hiking, biking or they just hang out with me.

bethany.cole2013 12-09-2012 10:36 PM

Bump