OOps, Pregnant. Do females get mean/protective? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 07:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Bomber
Default OOps, Pregnant. Do females get mean/protective?

Abby got knocked up by Bomber before I could get her spayed. It wasnt planned but i'll deal with it. Reason I ask is when I grew up my parents bred Cocker Spaniels, she would get meaner than a wet hornet (and then some) when she gave birth and you couldnt get near her for at least a few days. We also bred our Great Dane and she was very nice and sweet, total opposite of the spaniel.

I woke up Oct. 5th to my two GSD's hooked together. Shes pretty fat now, boobs are bigger, I just want to know if she'll turn mean. Currently shes very sweet and very nice. She rules the roost and is the dominant dog here. She barks at people when they come over and is sketchy but warms up pretty fast.

*Please dont bash me, I know my dogs are not registered with the 3rd Reich nor did I play god and match the perfect chromosomes. I know the pups will be "knock-offs" but im not putting any Burberry logos on them so it will be ok. I dont know any history on these dogs so for all I know she might give birth to zombies?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 08:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

It just depends on the dog. Some might not tolerate anyone but their owners to come close, some might not tolerate anything coming close. I suppose it truly depends on how much your dog trusts you, as to whether she will be mean or not. That's just what I think though. I have no experience with owning and caring for a pregnant dog.

R.I.P
Mocha- Tortoiseshell calico

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kwolf94 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 09:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

We had a miniature Schnauzer who was kind of mean when she wasn't pregnant. When she was pregnant, she was very clingy to my mom and when she gave birth, was the LEAST attentive mother dog I have ever seen. I do think Abby's temperment will be obvious and you will be able to manage it/her.

Hey, lots of us were "oopses". It happens. They will be your puppies and you can choose what kind of homes you want them to go to. Keep us posted...

If you are going through hades, keep going!
Scarlettsmom is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 09:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Hey, lots of us were "oopses". It happens. They will be your puppies and you can choose what kind of homes you want them to go to. Keep us posted...
Huh? US? Humans??

Has nothing to do with the overpopulation in shelters. To the OP...you should have had her spayed already, and once you let her get "knocked up" you should have taken her in that very week and had it done.
Curious where you "adopted" them from??
There's a lot of things that can go wrong and your cavalier attitude is...amazing to say the least...
msvette2u is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 09:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It depends on the bitch. I have had good luck with my GSDs, they have all been awesome with me. I usually wait for 3-4 weeks after whelping before I let others come over.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 10:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

I wonder how many of the puppies will make it past year 2 with the same owners....poorly bred german shepherds are a dime a dozen and come with all kinds of issues...many people dump them when the issues come up

good luck
x0emiroxy0x is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 10:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

On April 24th, you said you were having your female spayed right away. What happened?
Stevenzachsmom is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 10:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevenzachsmom View Post
On April 24th, you said you were having your female spayed right away. What happened?
That is a very good question...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Lulu) Selma Zet Eurosportu CA CGC
Narny is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 10:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Please do a lot of studying about whelping a litter and have a plan in place to find homes for the pups when the litter arrives. Also, you probably need to make some financial arrangements if things don't go well with the pregnancy. Yes, some females can be very protective of their pups.
robk is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 10:15 AM   #10 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

My females have never been an issue for me, but not great with other people for a few days after. Hopefully your female will be OK in case you need to help. I would also have a vet on call just in case there are issues.

Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what the 2x4 is made of.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.