German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Breeding - General (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/breeding-general/)
-   -   OOps, Pregnant. Do females get mean/protective? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/breeding-general/194398-oops-pregnant-do-females-get-mean-protective.html)

Bomber 11-14-2012 08:54 PM

OOps, Pregnant. Do females get mean/protective?

Abby got knocked up by Bomber before I could get her spayed. It wasnt planned but i'll deal with it. Reason I ask is when I grew up my parents bred Cocker Spaniels, she would get meaner than a wet hornet (and then some) when she gave birth and you couldnt get near her for at least a few days. We also bred our Great Dane and she was very nice and sweet, total opposite of the spaniel.

I woke up Oct. 5th to my two GSD's hooked together. Shes pretty fat now, boobs are bigger, I just want to know if she'll turn mean. Currently shes very sweet and very nice. She rules the roost and is the dominant dog here. She barks at people when they come over and is sketchy but warms up pretty fast.

*Please dont bash me, I know my dogs are not registered with the 3rd Reich nor did I play god and match the perfect chromosomes. I know the pups will be "knock-offs" but im not putting any Burberry logos on them so it will be ok. I dont know any history on these dogs so for all I know she might give birth to zombies?

Thanks.

Kwolf94 11-14-2012 09:14 PM

It just depends on the dog. Some might not tolerate anyone but their owners to come close, some might not tolerate anything coming close. I suppose it truly depends on how much your dog trusts you, as to whether she will be mean or not. That's just what I think though. I have no experience with owning and caring for a pregnant dog.

Scarlettsmom 11-14-2012 10:16 PM

We had a miniature Schnauzer who was kind of mean when she wasn't pregnant. When she was pregnant, she was very clingy to my mom and when she gave birth, was the LEAST attentive mother dog I have ever seen. I do think Abby's temperment will be obvious and you will be able to manage it/her.

Hey, lots of us were "oopses". It happens. They will be your puppies and you can choose what kind of homes you want them to go to. Keep us posted...

msvette2u 11-14-2012 10:39 PM

Quote:

Hey, lots of us were "oopses". It happens. They will be your puppies and you can choose what kind of homes you want them to go to. Keep us posted...
Huh? US? Humans??

Has nothing to do with the overpopulation in shelters. To the OP...you should have had her spayed already, and once you let her get "knocked up" you should have taken her in that very week and had it done.
Curious where you "adopted" them from??
There's a lot of things that can go wrong and your cavalier attitude is...amazing to say the least...

selzer 11-14-2012 10:47 PM

It depends on the bitch. I have had good luck with my GSDs, they have all been awesome with me. I usually wait for 3-4 weeks after whelping before I let others come over.

x0emiroxy0x 11-14-2012 11:17 PM

I wonder how many of the puppies will make it past year 2 with the same owners....poorly bred german shepherds are a dime a dozen and come with all kinds of issues...many people dump them when the issues come up

good luck

Stevenzachsmom 11-14-2012 11:23 PM

On April 24th, you said you were having your female spayed right away. What happened?

Narny 11-14-2012 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevenzachsmom (Post 2629862)
On April 24th, you said you were having your female spayed right away. What happened?

That is a very good question...

robk 11-15-2012 11:07 AM

Please do a lot of studying about whelping a litter and have a plan in place to find homes for the pups when the litter arrives. Also, you probably need to make some financial arrangements if things don't go well with the pregnancy. Yes, some females can be very protective of their pups.

lhczth 11-15-2012 11:15 AM

My females have never been an issue for me, but not great with other people for a few days after. Hopefully your female will be OK in case you need to help. I would also have a vet on call just in case there are issues.