OOps, Pregnant. Do females get mean/protective? - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2012, 08:44 AM   #41 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
Well there are no such things as "oops" and the cavalier manner in which this was posted is quite probably a clue.
If you "grew up on a farm", you already know how to create babies and how to prevent such.
Exactly.

And I live on a farm - we still know how to keep the boys and girls separate
blackshep is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 09:59 AM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
They are the same with or without papers...but then again, with well bred dogs, all those fancy schmancy titles and letters after their name prove that the dogs being bred are healthy and temperamentally sound.
Oddly enough, those silly little things are important to some folks...
Right there important to some folks and not important to others... I agree if you're a breeder it's important or if you're into showing your dog but if you just have a family dog and that's it they don't matter... And I'm not dismissing the titles and pedigrees and I'm not claiming I know everything cuz I don't but my dog is a good dog with or without them... Ppl make mistakes the OP is obviously coming here for help... It just seems some ppl take things to personal on this forum...

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Jd414 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 10:10 AM   #43 (permalink)
Banned

Jd, you missed my point.
We have a very nice rescued/adopted GSD pup. At 6mos. he developed elbow dysplasia.
I'm willing to bet he came from a person just like the OP. Who decided that since GSDs are so "awesome" and "rare" that he should breed his dogs.
I mean heck! It's almost Christmas and that $4k you can make (at $400 per puppy x 10 puppies) will come in handy!

Problem is...they did not do health tests on the parents to see if they had any genetic issues.
Thank GOD we just got Elbow dysplasia (which will take his life early and which has reduced his quality of life even at age 14 MONTHS) and not temperament issues - another byproduct of backyard (poor) breeding practices.

Even if the parents look okay, they can have health issues and temperament issues in their genetic makeup, which, when joined together, can create a whole litter full of genetic misfits. Allergies are becoming more and more common, because people don't study the genetics behind their own dogs' breedings.

And if there's allergies in both "lines", then the puppies are sentenced to a life of misery. Just like with the elbows. Just like with the temperament issues. Just like with mega-esophagus. Just like with Hip dysplasia.

Even a farmer knows those things. You choose the best of the best for breeding, you don't toss two animals together for the sake of producing for $$. You choose wisely and carefully. Farmers of all people know these things. As do good breeders.
msvette2u is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 10:22 AM   #44 (permalink)
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Twyla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd414 View Post
Right there important to some folks and not important to others... I agree if you're a breeder it's important or if you're into showing your dog but if you just have a family dog and that's it they don't matter... And I'm not dismissing the titles and pedigrees and I'm not claiming I know everything cuz I don't but my dog is a good dog with or without them... Ppl make mistakes the OP is obviously coming here for help... It just seems some ppl take things to personal on this forum...

Mistakes/oops are when you have done everything possible to isolate a bitch in heat to prevent an oops litter. That wasn't done in this case.

As far as taking it personal, in my case, yes it is personal. My dog is obviously a byb dog, owners clearly didn't give a darn and removed it from litter way to early and gave to a home that had no freakin clue what to do with a pup, much less one that didn't have a good start to begin with. I rescued a basket case.

Some, like you, get lucky and get a wonderful dog. Way to many more end up with physical and behavioral problems, medical and training fees far beyond what many are willing to pay out. Dogs are being killed everyday just because some just won't take the time to do the necessary precautions.
Twyla is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 10:33 AM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Jd, you missed my point.
We have a very nice rescued/adopted GSD pup. At 6mos. he developed elbow dysplasia.
I'm willing to bet he came from a person just like the OP. Who decided that since GSDs are so "awesome" and "rare" that he should breed his dogs.
I mean heck! It's almost Christmas and that $4k you can make (at $400 per puppy x 10 puppies) will come in handy!

Problem is...they did not do health tests on the parents to see if they had any genetic issues.
Thank GOD we just got Elbow dysplasia (which will take his life early and which has reduced his quality of life even at age 14 MONTHS) and not temperament issues - another byproduct of backyard (poor) breeding practices.

Even if the parents look okay, they can have health issues and temperament issues in their genetic makeup, which, when joined together, can create a whole litter full of genetic misfits. Allergies are becoming more and more common, because people don't study the genetics behind their own dogs' breedings.

And if there's allergies in both "lines", then the puppies are sentenced to a life of misery. Just like with the elbows. Just like with the temperament issues. Just like with mega-esophagus. Just like with Hip dysplasia.

Even a farmer knows those things. You choose the best of the best for breeding, you don't toss two animals together for the sake of producing for $$. You choose wisely and carefully. Farmers of all people know these things. As do good breeders.
I understand what your saying completely

Jd414 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 10:51 AM   #46 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Perfect example of genes coming to surface: My pup is a long stock coat. Both his parents were short stock coats. He was one of two out of 11 puppies that were born LSC. You can't look at two dogs and "know" which genes will surface in each pup. Or if you see ALL the genes that could, because there's a ton of combinations! This is in simplest layman's terms because, well, because apparently there are people that didn't have access to science in school. :eyeroll:

http://redheadsrocketsandramblings.blogspot.com/
RocketDog is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 11:03 AM   #47 (permalink)
Banned

Just the fact that someone states they rescued/adopted, then breeds the rescued/adopted dogs, is...suspect, because to me, to state you rescued/adopted implies you are bettering those dog's lives, not using them as money makers

At the very least, out of supposed cluelessness (carelessness), you've perpetuated another litter of puppies onto the earth to quite possibly be given away or sold to less than stellar homes, and the puppies will wind up in shelters by the time they are a year of age, if not chained to a tree and sentenced to live there for the rest of their lives.

http://jcapl.org/puppy_overpop.pdf
Old 11-16-2012, 11:15 AM   #48 (permalink)
Banned

If you have no desire to make money, no experience whelping, no idea about your own dog's health (I'm assuming your dogs aren't tested from what you're saying), then why don't you spay abort?

What reason is there to have puppies otherwise?

Poorly bred pups are much more likely to have health problems. And an inexperienced breeder won't know which puppies to place with which family, making them even more likely to end up at the shelter.

YES, I am pessimistic...because I got a german shepherd from someone just like you and I have been paying the consequences for two years now. It isn't fair to all the inexperienced dog owners that will get puppies from you....
x0emiroxy0x is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 11:27 AM   #49 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
What reason is there to have puppies otherwise?
Well, GSDs are as rare as hen's teeth, apparently, where the OP lives.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:28 AM   #50 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
At the very least, out of supposed cluelessness (carelessness), you've perpetuated another litter of puppies onto the earth to quite possibly be given away or sold to less than stellar homes, and the puppies will wind up in shelters by the time they are a year of age, if not chained to a tree and sentenced to live there for the rest of their lives.

http://jcapl.org/puppy_overpop.pdf
Sadly, even if the puppies produced by this bitch go to good homes, their offspring will continue the cycle over and over again.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is online now   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.