OOps, Pregnant. Do females get mean/protective? - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012, 11:24 PM   #31 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Its amazing how many pessimists are on this site. The only reason I can see people suggesting going to a breeder with papers to find a GSD is about money...and its obvious by the breeders that they want the money that's why they say dont buy a "poorly bred" GSD. Poorly bred? Im sorry, X-rays and tests will not be 100% certain that the pups will be perfect. In my area I looked for several months to find a GSD, they are not easy to come by at all, within 100 mile radius. Ones I called on were gone instantly. I know what my dog is, I dont need a piece of paper telling me... im sorry that is the most ridiculous thing I ever heard. Unless you are a breeder or into showing... the piece of paper is worthless and only ups the price of the dog. My dogs are family...papers or not. My male I could have pursued and got the papers but regardless hes still what he is....im not a breeder nor do I plan on making bank off some puppies. Also my "dime a dozen" dogs have no issues. A million dollar dog can develop the same issues a dime store dog can... unless you are god and can prevent that???
This reaction tells me this breeding was not an accident. How sad.

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1275860

Failure *is* success, if you learn from it.
PatchonGSD is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 12:06 AM   #32 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchonGSD View Post
This reaction tells me this breeding was not an accident. How sad.
My thoughts exactly. When I think of oops litters...I can't remember who it was, but someone on this site got a bitch from a breeder. The breeder had bought her to breed, but all attempts proved futile and it seemed the bitch was sterile, so she found her a home. It was a longshot and a huge shock when she wound up pregnant.

This seems like someone trying to justify the decision to breed their dogs.

Gable: Black and Red GSD: 03/02/2012 -
Suki: Russian Blue: 03/02/2013 -
Anitsisqua is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 12:10 AM   #33 (permalink)
Banned

Well there are no such things as "oops" and the cavalier manner in which this was posted is quite probably a clue.
If you "grew up on a farm", you already know how to create babies and how to prevent such.
msvette2u is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 12:19 AM   #34 (permalink)
Master Member

I think, in some (not most) circumstances, there are "oops" or accidental litters.

My grandpa had a cattle dog. When she came into her first heat, he locked her in the shed when the other dogs when out to work. A neighbor's bulldog literally CHEWED through the wall into the shed and bred her.

So, in some extreme circumstances, I do believe that there are accidental litters. I believe they're seldom purebred, though. That's too convenient.

Gable: Black and Red GSD: 03/02/2012 -
Suki: Russian Blue: 03/02/2013 -
Anitsisqua is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 12:49 AM   #35 (permalink)
Banned

Even then...a spay works wonders to keep the boys at bay

And if you're honest about not wanting puppies most vets will perform a "pregnant spay" early on, some up to the delivery day.
And breeders who experience an "oops" have the option to give their girls a shot (that makes conception impossible) I believe. Or last I knew, they did.
msvette2u is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 01:14 AM   #36 (permalink)

You can do a spay/abort. They will spay the bitch and humanely euthanize the puppies when they remove them.

The mismate shot is still around but has the potential for serious complications.

If you decide to whelp the pups I would recommend having them spayed/neutered before placing them in their new homes.

Your opinions on "papers" and breeders are just that - YOUR opinions.

The facts are completely different.
Chimanes Spice it Up Piquin (Kaynya) - Chinese Crested
Nator von Triton HIC CGC (Mauser) - LC GSD
Piquins Some Like it Hot (Spike) Chinese Crested
Piquins Too Hot To Handle - (Fuego) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Wasabi (Sabi) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Super Hot (Clark) - Chinese Crested
Banzai, Cloe, Mocha - Felines Extraordinaire
Neke, Tessa, Remi, Sadie, Riggs, Sasha, Tazer - DK, Mozart, Zoe - Gone but not forgotten
Lauri & The Gang is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 01:17 AM   #37 (permalink)
Master Member

The problem with breeding "blindly", by that I mean with now history of health or genetic or temperment defects is a breed like GSDs... who have TONS of these things, is very risky. I'm not one whos going to bash about this. I'm not a breeder or an expert. I have had backyard breeder dogs that were perfect and wonderful. Just be aware: GSDs as a breed have an extremely high risk of serious, painful, heart breaking health issues if you are not very careful. Your dogs can be perfectly beautiful and healthy, but carry a gene that will cause major pain and suffering in a good percentage of their pups, and break peoples hearts trying to help them. I don't think ANYONE who loves a GSD wants to contribute to these problems in the breed. (thats why people hit the warpath on this subject) Papers don't mean a thing... knowing the history of problems, be it healthwise or "mental" in the families of the dogs you are breeding means ALOT. I wish you luck. I had a couple litters in the long ago past... my bitch was fine with me being around, but anyone else the 1st couple weeks got too close and she would have KILLED them, so just pay attention to what your girl is telling you. Mine was not any different while pregnant (and got in a horrible fight with a Rottie protecting our kids just a week before whelp.. ) Make sure to read up on nutrition for preggers bitches
Old 11-16-2012, 02:05 AM   #38 (permalink)
Master Member

example:
Old 11-16-2012, 09:05 AM   #39 (permalink)
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Twyla

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazedtrucker View Post
If that video doesn't wake people up, nothing will. And that is just ONE example.
Twyla is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 09:33 AM   #40 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber View Post

Im sorry, I dont stress myself out about anything. Your interpretation of my post has nothing to do with the reality of it.

Your posts have made your reality very clear.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.