German Shepherds Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

OOps, Pregnant. Do females get mean/protective?

10K views 56 replies 28 participants last post by  Chris Wild 
#1 ·
Abby got knocked up by Bomber before I could get her spayed. It wasnt planned but i'll deal with it. Reason I ask is when I grew up my parents bred Cocker Spaniels, she would get meaner than a wet hornet (and then some) when she gave birth and you couldnt get near her for at least a few days. We also bred our Great Dane and she was very nice and sweet, total opposite of the spaniel.

I woke up Oct. 5th to my two GSD's hooked together. Shes pretty fat now, boobs are bigger, I just want to know if she'll turn mean. Currently shes very sweet and very nice. She rules the roost and is the dominant dog here. She barks at people when they come over and is sketchy but warms up pretty fast.

*Please dont bash me, I know my dogs are not registered with the 3rd Reich nor did I play god and match the perfect chromosomes. I know the pups will be "knock-offs" but im not putting any Burberry logos on them so it will be ok. I dont know any history on these dogs so for all I know she might give birth to zombies?

Thanks.

#43 ·
Jd, you missed my point.
We have a very nice rescued/adopted GSD pup. At 6mos. he developed elbow dysplasia.
I'm willing to bet he came from a person just like the OP. Who decided that since GSDs are so "awesome" and "rare" that he should breed his dogs.
I mean heck! It's almost Christmas and that $4k you can make (at $400 per puppy x 10 puppies) will come in handy!

Problem is...they did not do health tests on the parents to see if they had any genetic issues.
Thank GOD we just got Elbow dysplasia (which will take his life early and which has reduced his quality of life even at age 14 MONTHS) and not temperament issues - another byproduct of backyard (poor) breeding practices.

Even if the parents look okay, they can have health issues and temperament issues in their genetic makeup, which, when joined together, can create a whole litter full of genetic misfits. Allergies are becoming more and more common, because people don't study the genetics behind their own dogs' breedings.

And if there's allergies in both "lines", then the puppies are sentenced to a life of misery. Just like with the elbows. Just like with the temperament issues. Just like with mega-esophagus. Just like with Hip dysplasia.

Even a farmer knows those things. You choose the best of the best for breeding, you don't toss two animals together for the sake of producing for $$. You choose wisely and carefully. Farmers of all people know these things. As do good breeders.

#46 ·
Perfect example of genes coming to surface: My pup is a long stock coat. Both his parents were short stock coats. He was one of two out of 11 puppies that were born LSC. You can't look at two dogs and "know" which genes will surface in each pup. Or if you see ALL the genes that could, because there's a ton of combinations! This is in simplest layman's terms because, well, because apparently there are people that didn't have access to science in school. :eyeroll:

#47 ·
Just the fact that someone states they rescued/adopted, then breeds the rescued/adopted dogs, is...suspect, because to me, to state you rescued/adopted implies you are bettering those dog's lives, not using them as money makers :(

At the very least, out of supposed cluelessness (carelessness), you've perpetuated another litter of puppies onto the earth to quite possibly be given away or sold to less than stellar homes, and the puppies will wind up in shelters by the time they are a year of age, if not chained to a tree and sentenced to live there for the rest of their lives.

http://jcapl.org/puppy_overpop.pdf

#50 ·
At the very least, out of supposed cluelessness (carelessness), you've perpetuated another litter of puppies onto the earth to quite possibly be given away or sold to less than stellar homes, and the puppies will wind up in shelters by the time they are a year of age, if not chained to a tree and sentenced to live there for the rest of their lives.

http://jcapl.org/puppy_overpop.pdf
Sadly, even if the puppies produced by this bitch go to good homes, their offspring will continue the cycle over and over again.

#48 ·
If you have no desire to make money, no experience whelping, no idea about your own dog's health (I'm assuming your dogs aren't tested from what you're saying), then why don't you spay abort?

What reason is there to have puppies otherwise?

Poorly bred pups are much more likely to have health problems. And an inexperienced breeder won't know which puppies to place with which family, making them even more likely to end up at the shelter.

YES, I am pessimistic...because I got a german shepherd from someone just like you and I have been paying the consequences for two years now. It isn't fair to all the inexperienced dog owners that will get puppies from you....

#51 ·
OP wanted this to happen. Said in April, the female would be spayed immediately. Now, she is saying she didn't spay, because the bitch went into heat. It is November. In all those months, she couldn't get the female spayed? I don't buy it.

#52 ·
OP wanted this to happen. Said in April, the female would be spayed immediately. Now, she is saying she didn't spay, because the bitch went into heat. It is November. In all those months, she couldn't get the female spayed? I don't buy it.
I don't think anyone does anymore. I sure don't.

OP, spay abort. Best thing to do for these pups to avoid the "oops" litter and surely half of them ending up in shelters.

#53 ·
Agree. We've done a lot of spay/terminates. The bitch doesn't realize what she's missing and she's better off, as is your own pocket book should she need an emergency c-section.
Call around as some vets are old fashioned and won't do them if they can "tell" she's pregnant.
Our vet we use most for that procedure sees firsthand daily the results of pet overpopulation and they'll do spay/terminate right up to the delivery date.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.