OOps, Pregnant. Do females get mean/protective? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012, 10:20 AM   #11 (permalink)
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

We had one female, Della, that did not want me around the pups during whelping or for the first few days but she had absolutely no concerns at all with my husband. So for her pups he was the one who assisted with the whelping and care the first few days and I'd just sit outside the box and watch. No idea why she was that way.. maybe she just didn't want another bitch around. But after 2-3 days she was fine with me as well as Tim. None of our other females have ever given either of us any problems at all, but they weren't too keen on strangers being near for the first week or so.
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 10:22 AM   #12 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wild View Post
No idea why she was that way.. maybe she just didn't want another bitch around.
LOL

How did she let you know this Chris?
Old 11-15-2012, 10:38 AM   #13 (permalink)

Looked me in the eye, lowered her head possessively over her pups, raised her lips and snarled. From a dog that was typically a "happy happy joy joy!" cuddlebug that was a pretty darned clear sign.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:40 AM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber View Post
*Please dont bash me, I know my dogs are not registered with the 3rd Reich nor did I play god and match the perfect chromosomes. I know the pups will be "knock-offs" but im not putting any Burberry logos on them so it will be ok. I dont know any history on these dogs so for all I know she might give birth to zombies?
I don't find any humor in your last statement.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 10:42 AM   #15 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wild View Post
Looked me in the eye, lowered her head possessively over her pups, raised her lips and snarled. From a dog that was typically a "happy happy joy joy!" cuddlebug that was a pretty darned clear sign.
So very interesting. Was it just her quirk or did you have any indication of this trait from her dam/daughters (if you have bred any daughters)?
Old 11-15-2012, 10:43 AM   #16 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilie View Post
I don't find any humor in your last statement.
I don't find the humor in any of it. It isn't a laughing matter to be careless about something like this. Off putting to say the least...
Old 11-15-2012, 10:56 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbchottu View Post
So very interesting. Was it just her quirk or did you have any indication of this trait from her dam/daughters (if you have bred any daughters)?
Mostly just a quirk. Never saw that in her dam or sisters (haven't bred any daughters). But also I'll admit that she and I butted heads on occasion, especially when one or both of us was stressed or hormonal, whereas she and Tim always got along fantastically. She was also a very, very devoted, attentive and protective mother. So take the mothering instinct, plus raging hormones in her and usual whelping day enduced stress and sleep deprivation in me, and top it off with the differences in her relationships with the two of us and while we didn't expect her to act that way, it sort of made sense when it did happen that dad got all happy face, smiles, and tail wags and I got the "stay away from my pups" attitude for a few days. After those first few days she lightened up and I got her usual sunny side too.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:30 AM   #18 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

I have a Della son, and though we'll never know if he is the same in whelp as his Mom, I can attest to the 100% "Happy Happy Joy Joy" temperament.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 03:49 PM   #19 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My dogs have me or no one, so they are out of luck if they don't want me near the puppies. But even the bitch I got from Germany days before whelping, was alright with me handling the pup from birth.

Still, I think bitches who are rescued pregnant, change hands and don't have a chance to build trust might have a tougher time with trusting anyone near their puppies.

Jenna likes to butt her nose into everything I am doing with a puppy. So after I dry the puppy off, and weigh it, I give it back until she is busy working with the second pup. Then I bring that one up, and put a bit of rick-rack on it.

Really, my experience is that GSDs make awesome mothers. (Though I have heard of dams eating their puppies.) Usually it is best that we keep our hands off of them other than maybe weighing them twice a day, checking the rick rack to ensure it is not too tight, and maybe moving them to a back teat.

The big thing is to not upset the bitch.

I like to move the puppies into a small pet bed next to the whelping box when she starts turning around and dripping water, to keep them safe and dry while she is delivering the next pup. Some bitches though will immediately stop what they are doing and get all nosy about what is going on with their puppies. For those bitches, I leave the pups right in the box and they never step on them. Even in pain they are careful with the babies.

Sometimes, they will leave a puppy born, and go back to the other puppies and lick them, In that case, I pick up the new pup and clean it off and try to get it going. Once that pup squeaks, she will be over to me and I will put it down for her to welcome. Otherwise, I let her work on the new pup and I wait for her to be satisfied with him before diverting her with another puppy or simply picking the puppy up, and doing my thing.

If she is stressed, then everything is harder. Less is better if she is stressing.

Your bitch is your first priority, not the puppies, not the people wanting to be a part of the whole thing, not prospective puppy buyers. Chris let Tim take #1 role because that is what the bitch wanted and she is the lady in charge. I have to just say, "I won't hurt your baby, I will give her right back." But I have never yet encountered one that gave me a clear warning to keep away.

What is hard is when you have one that is simply not making it. And the bitch knows that you are getting anxious and she has her nose in there and everything you can do is not enough. If you do have to give up on one, then you have to smuggle it out of there and GSDs can count. But you cannot leave it in there, and you have to try to keep everyone's spirits up, because they pick up on everything. And she needs to get through the rest of the job. So, it's hard.

They are smart though, and if they trust you, they will generally let you handle the puppies from the first, whether or not you had to take one away at some point.

You have experience whelping so you'll probably be fine. No experience is the same though, good luck.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 04:25 PM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlemaid View Post
I have a Della son, and though we'll never know if he is the same in whelp as his Mom, I can attest to the 100% "Happy Happy Joy Joy" temperament.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.