Why are not GSD nerves #1 in breeding? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2012, 05:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Why are not GSD nerves #1 in breeding?

There have been over 20 threads dealing with aggression since the beginning of October. Some were started and some were responded to this month.

That does not include all the threads in General Behavior, or Puppy Behavior.

There are fearful dogs, aggressive dogs, submissive dogs peeing from fear and so on.

If I wasn't reasonably certain that I could find a decent GSD I would never want another one.

They "must" IMO have a strong nerve base and solid temperament.

If they don't have those, they are an accident looking for a place to happen.

How many threads wind up with posters telling someone how to live and "manage" one of these dogs so that they are not too much of a liability.

Why oh why aren't nerves and temperament #1 on all breeders list of goals.

This is not about show lines/working lines, it's about solid sane dogs.
Jack's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2012, 05:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Whatever your definition of "responsible breeder" is (it really seems as though that phrase has become so cliche here), certainly you'd agree that a responsible breeder DOES breed for solid nerves. So the better question in my book is why are so many people getting such poorly bred dogs?

I haven't read the thread you mentioned, but in another thread I read someone say that breeders should be so much more particular about what they breed. I really think that we have to just flip that mentality- BUYERS need to be so much more particular about what they buy. There are plenty of good breeders out there in all GSD lines. But when you buy from a crappy breeder, your chances of getting a great, stable dog are highly diminished.

C-ATCH Pimg - DOB: 2/06, UJJ (x2), HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
High Jinks vom Neuanfang - DOB 9/12 (Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013) agility superstar in training
wildo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2012, 05:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
"I like Daffy" Moderator

One reason is that many of those dogs you wrote about are bred by people with no goals at all.

Another is that many of the dogs you wrote about are bred by people who dont know how to evaluate temperament.
Home of Ch Doll; U-CDx Jag CDX GN RE NAP NJP OA AXJ(ch ptd); and Ch. Fisher (Mr. Evil)
At the Bridge: Ch Kahla CD; Ch Keno UD HSAs OA; Ch Kizzy HSAs RE; Ch Tag CD RAE2; Ch Pharra; Bee PT; Ch Natty; Ch Red the Dachshund
Andaka is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2012, 05:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I agree with you. I was clueless about doggies and GSDs and temperaments. I thought that the 'standard' described for what a GSD temperament was would be what we'd get. Never knew that breeding for color, or looks took precedence sometimes :c

It's hard to describe but only by experiencing a weak nerved GSD do you know that next time you need to look for a breeder who knows what their doing in terms of nerves...
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2012, 05:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

I agree with your concerns and I agree with Willy that buyers need to be more educated and make this a priority. Let the demand control the supply!

But I also think that a lot of people don't really understand good GSD nerves/temperament. For some people (even in threads on this board) I think a GSD just isn't the right breed and there's not always something wrong with the dog or the pedigree but the owner's expectations and how the dog is being handled. I've had some supposed "experts" tell me things are wrong with my GSD's temperament because of his pedigree or he does X or Y behavior at home or at Schutzhund training, and then I've had others say he is just fine and actually how a GSD is supposed to be not like the current fad of GSD. So who is right?

So far of my GSDs I won't say that all temperaments have been perfect but I will say that I have never been surprised (for better or worse). In each case I got what I was looking for or thought I wanted at the time.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Last edited by Liesje; 10-16-2012 at 05:20 PM.
Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2012, 05:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I think it's most frequently an abundance of poorly bred dogs, but also sometimes people who have dogs who are WAY too much dog for them. A high-drive dog, no matter how well bred, may be a disaster in a couch-potato home. I hear SO many people say they'd like a GSD and get one expecting Rin-Tin-Tin right off the bat and not realizing how much work goes into this breed.
LoveEcho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2012, 05:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Wildo:

You are probably right about buyers.

I think a lot of people see the "Police Dog" or "Seeing Eye Dog" and think GSD's are all regal, noble, steady, and strong.

I'm beginning to wonder if there ever was such a time they were that way.

I love this breed but something is dreadfully wrong.

There are just too many crazy GSD's.
Jack's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2012, 05:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

I dont think that breeders not breeding for nerves is the problem, its the BYB's who are mass producing puppies and the people who are buying them. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that many of those 20 something threads mentioned are about dogs who came from "less than desirable" places.

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1275860

Failure *is* success, if you learn from it.
PatchonGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2012, 05:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack's Dad View Post
Wildo:

You are probably right about buyers.

I think a lot of people see the "Police Dog" or "Seeing Eye Dog" and think GSD's are all regal, noble, steady, and strong.

I'm beginning to wonder if there ever was such a time they were that way.

I love this breed but something is dreadfully wrong.

There are just too many crazy GSD's.

When I first got my dog and I joined this forum, everything I read scared me. I am not a first time dog owner, but some of the issues I read about were not something I ever wanted to deal with. I do not know where my dog came from. With that being said, I was extra careful about training, socializing, etc. If you read up on a GSD and what they are, she is pretty much exactly what it describes.I can say mine is regal, noble, steady, and strong. I am glad that I had this fear in me in the beginning, because it made me more determined to have a good dog. It took lots of work, but she is right where I want her. Lots of issues that I read about can be avoided or could have been. I think that there has to be more research done and people have to count on having a pretty smart energetic dog on their hands. If they think that training happens on its own, then they need to reconsider what breed they want.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2012, 05:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchonGSD View Post
I dont think that breeders not breeding for nerves is the problem, its the BYB's who are mass producing puppies and the people who are buying them. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that many of those 20 something threads mentioned are about dogs who came from "less than desirable" places.

I see lots of them coming from reputable breeders and byb's...this is for health and behavioral issues. Usually it starts with..I got my dog from a reputable breeder....
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.