Why are not GSD nerves #1 in breeding? - Page 8 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2012, 09:28 AM   #71 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag View Post
I wonder what's going to happen when the Czech lines go the way of all the others....

They have never been immune.
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2012, 11:33 AM   #72 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I agree Lisa, there are just as many pitfalls in Czech lines as any other lines. Actually, in recent years I think the nerve base of the Czech dogs have benefitted from the curtain coming down.....and introducing West dogs. Used to be a lot more nervy Czech dogs, IMO, early on.
cliffson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2012, 12:09 PM   #73 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag View Post
I was just talking about this the other day. The amount of posts under the 'aggression' tab, and how pups and dogs seem to be mishandled or misunderstood. The 'normal' things are either seen as abnormal or the owner has not a clue how to control the dog.
I don't visit the aggression threads any more, it gets into my nerves. People would be amazed of what a good "NO!" at the right moment can do.
Catu's Pack
Catu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2012, 03:18 PM   #74 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Works for me!....lol
cliffson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 01:48 AM   #75 (permalink)
Crowned Member

thought I would put this dog into this discussion as an example of good nerves -- this dog can really take the pressure !! yet he is clear, responds quickly to his handler and has no residual (or leaky) behaviour - when it is over it is over -- enjoy
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 08:10 PM   #76 (permalink)
Elite Member

Inox is product of one of my favorite breeders; Ma Ming. Inox is the sire of Dodge Kiridesja ÷÷»ģ-Stud Dog-st_dodge1 who is pure gangster.

My dog's grandsire, Kobalt, is closely related to Inox and I believe Ruger has inherited much of his fantastic character down from this line. I am very fond of the dogs coming out of the Netherlands.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:36 PM   #77 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandal View Post
Yep, you and a whole lot of other people who are now encouraged, and in many cases shamed, into adopting these kinds of dogs. Breeders are now considered "evil" in the eyes of many. We have a rather huge Animal Rights movement in this country. If I thought they knew anything about animals, I might give them credit for managing a rather clever plot to end pet ownership by encouraging people to adopt the ones who really are not capable of being "pets".

Ummm.... I really don't think that shelters and rescues are the problem here. In fact, most dogs that make it to the adoption floor have gone through more formal and informal temperament tests than any dog from a breeder - reputable or otherwise. And, the ones that make it to the adoption floor pass these tests under the most stressful of circumstances.

So, while I may agree with other points of your post, I feel that the way you opened it lacks perspective of what really happens with shelter and rescue dogs.
LifeofRiley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 10:26 PM   #78 (permalink)
Elite Member

Castlemaid ... you wrote: But AKC actively discouraged any bite training in dogs - they did not understand (and many people do not understand) that a solid balanced dog with bite training does not go around randomly attacking the elderly and eating young people, any more than a Martial Arts expert, who has been in training since childhood would go around beating people up just because they can.

WHAT? So I've been brainwashed? LOL

I LOVED your whole post, and I agree with most of the people on this thread. I have a beautiful GSD whose temperament is amazing ... but honestly, I BUSTED MY BUTT working with her, training, etc. and spending lots of time with her, teaching, guiding, etc.

I've seen so many people that try someone once or twice and give up, simply because the dog didn't get it. When I see a dog with problems? For the most part (not just GSDs here, any dog) I always wonder at what point the owner gave up and just let the dog "be." A dog is NOT equipped to survive in the human world without training - we have too many rules that simply don't make sense to them.

I have only been around for about a month or so, and I'm amazed at the number of "aggressive" dogs I read about on here. It breaks my heart.

I had "mental images" of Rin Tin Tin when I got Kyleigh and while I don't have that "famous dog" (or was it 4 or 5 dogs? LOL) I did know that I would have to put in LOADS of work to get what I wanted ... I have and I've enjoyed almost every minute of it!

What a great thread ...
Old 11-10-2012, 10:46 PM   #79 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

I haven't seen loads of GSD breeders of Czech dogs. From what I've seen in the past 20 years, the majority of "issues" come from badly bred dogs...which few are Czech. It seems that the majority of Czech dogs come from more reputable breeders that have at least half a clue what they're doing. That was my point. Not that Czech dogs as a whole don't have any issues. They just aren't the widely over bred and poorly bred messes that the other lines seem to have fallen prey to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.