Male shows no interest - Page 9 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2012, 07:40 PM   #81 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxidriver20 View Post
No I did not train Al he was trained by the trainer you see in the video! And to the person who said he did not look confident ,I beg to differ I just showed a snippet video here is a longer more in depth video...and remember he is retired. .... Al at work 2011 016 - YouTube
Am I supposed to be seeing something impressive? It just looks like more of the same. A handsome showline male with just enough drive to bite the sleeve, not taking things TOO seriously, a reasonably good club-level dog. I don't see confidence just oozing out of him. I see a nice pet that enjoys playing the sleeve game, as long as he knows he can win.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2013, 02:24 AM   #82 (permalink)

Default Update

It turns out I was just impatient my bitch Roxie had 9 puppies 1 stillborn the other 8 perfectly healthy! She had a very easy delivery they just slid right out no strain or stress. For all that was said the puppies turned out fine plenty of drive they are about 5 mths old now! All have been sold and the new owners are quite pleased! I have been working with a very well respected trainer in the area with my male he thinks something traumatized him at a young age that's why he is jumpy! He is not afraid to mix it up with other males and he seems to be more driven than when i spoke here last. I am awaiting my second litter due mid april and already have 4 sold just from word of mouth from my last breeding! My Males looks sell his puppies everyone i run into with him stops me and compliments him! I even have a cop on the waiting list!! Just wanted to send out an update and say to the nay sayers here you cannot judge a dog by it's cover you have to see whats inside him!
taxidriver20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 03:53 AM   #83 (permalink)
Crowned Member

watched the video of "Al" -- that decoy , no fight or energy , he is looking out the window , looking at himself in he mirror most of the time , mugging with that rolled eye look into the camera -- the dog is playing , see how many times he brings the sleeve back to the decoy.
Dog does look nice in conformation though.

In the Olek tape dog is sensitive about his feet . Will tuck - and then the decoy , not a good job either , just wandering around feeding sleeve to dog , no fight , goes crazy with the whip flipping it at the feet , over and over again. Huh . Wait and see how the dog does on a courage test.

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 08:05 AM   #84 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
watched the video of "Al" -- that decoy , no fight or energy , he is looking out the window , looking at himself in he mirror most of the time , mugging with that rolled eye look into the camera -- the dog is playing , see how many times he brings the sleeve back to the decoy.
Dog does look nice in conformation though.

In the Olek tape dog is sensitive about his feet . Will tuck - and then the decoy , not a good job either , just wandering around feeding sleeve to dog , no fight , goes crazy with the whip flipping it at the feet , over and over again. Huh . Wait and see how the dog does on a courage test.
I watched the Al video as well. I actually like the dog. The helper did seemed a little pompous though. Like he was not really interested. Just there for the money and to look at himself in the mirror.
robk is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 11:42 PM   #85 (permalink)

I agree with your assessment I wholeheartedly believe Olek was traumatized somehow as a puppy and it has to do with humans! I was at an open house at a kennel close by where they train schutzund while we were watching a demo a big black Shepherd got a little close behind us Olek went nuts if I did not have a good grip on his leash he would have been all over that dog! It shocked the **** outta me because I never saw that side of him when I walk him he is fine with other dogs. So as far as courage goes he is not lacking it around other dogs. Also when I leave him in the car and go in the store if someone walks to close to the car he loses his mind the tint on my windows is all scratched up because of it! He may not look good in the video but in real life situations I think he has what he needs! I am gonna post a video soon of my female hitting the bite sleeve she is a natural the first time i brought her in she watched another dog once and hit that sleeve like she was born to do it! She is impressive!!
taxidriver20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 12:55 AM   #86 (permalink)

Default Male shows no interest

Quote:
I was at an open house at a kennel close by where they train schutzund while we were watching a demo a big black Shepherd got a little close behind us Olek went nuts if I did not have a good grip on his leash he would have been all over that dog! ... So as far as courage goes he is not lacking it around other dogs.
huh??? A self-confident dog would not have reacted to a non-threat
Old 02-11-2013, 02:48 AM   #87 (permalink)
Elite Member

Excellent point, Mrs P!
RubyTuesday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 02:50 AM   #88 (permalink)
Crowned Member

who said he was traumatized ? Not me ! I said the decoy work was poor -- the dog was sensitive about his feet .
The "Al" dog was better - seems to have better temperament. Olek is spastic , focus is not concentrated .
You took the dog to a schutzhund demo where a dog walked behind your Olek who went nuts . Words such as big and black and GSD don't matter -- it was a dog . The difference between this encounter and your meeting dogs on walks is that at the demo there is stimulation , conflict, and when your dog REACTED he was distressed. You can see hints of that in the first video you showed when the dog kept targetting the young boy -- even in the first clip which abruptly ends , when the dog faces the boy (editing) .
Seems like an over the top reaction in the car . Someone passing minding their own business not provoking the dog -- at most the dog should be watching the person . Distress . Not courage.

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 03:35 AM   #89 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
we were watching a demo a big black Shepherd got a little close behind us Olek went nuts if I did not have a good grip on his leash he would have been all over that dog! It shocked the **** outta me because I never saw that side of him when I walk him he is fine with other dogs. So as far as courage goes he is not lacking it around other dogs.
Your dog freaked out because another dog got "a little close"? I hate to be the one to break this to you, but that is not "courage".

Quote:
Also when I leave him in the car and go in the store if someone walks to close to the car he loses his mind the tint on my windows is all scratched up because of it!
Again, your dog "loses his mind" at innocent passers-by and you think this is "courage"?

A dog with real courage and strong nerve does not need to feel so defensive whenever a benign stranger or strange dog is near. He's feeling threatened when there is no reason to be.

You have a lot to learn yet. Maybe as your dog gets older he will not be quite so reactive, but it sounds like you are proud of his fearful threat displays, so you're probably encouraging them. Too bad.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 11:16 AM   #90 (permalink)

Quote:
I agree with your assessment I wholeheartedly believe Olek was traumatized somehow as a puppy and it has to do with humans! I was at an open house at a kennel close by where they train schutzund while we were watching a demo a big black Shepherd got a little close behind us Olek went nuts if I did not have a good grip on his leash he would have been all over that dog! It shocked the **** outta me because I never saw that side of him when I walk him he is fine with other dogs. So as far as courage goes he is not lacking it around other dogs. Also when I leave him in the car and go in the store if someone walks to close to the car he loses his mind the tint on my windows is all scratched up because of it! He may not look good in the video but in real life situations I think he has what he needs! I am gonna post a video soon of my female hitting the bite sleeve she is a natural the first time i brought her in she watched another dog once and hit that sleeve like she was born to do it! She is impressive!!
I've got a dog that does that, too. Only I call it reactivity, not courage.
LeoRose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.