Mother won't bond or feed her new born puppies - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2012, 02:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Mother won't bond or feed her new born puppies

First off what a great site! My issue is that the Mother delivered 8 puppies last night, only cleaning about half of them, won't allow them to feed.
She's already bit one, pretty bad, the pup may not survive.

We don't trust her with them now, so what can we do? We've been bottle feeding every 2 hours. Is there a way to still have the mother feed her pups. Has anyone gone through this? Yes we will bring them to a vet for a check up!

thank you!
cevans is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2012, 02:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

This happened to my MIL years ago. We got Esbilac and had to bottle-feed the puppies (there were 14 of them) every hour, 24 hours a day in shifts. You also have to rub their tummies to stimulate digestion, and clean them of excrement.

Your vet should have better directions.

Edit: we had to keep the mom and puppies separated because she'd kill them.

At the Bridge:
Cash van der Animal Shelter 2006-2010
Emoore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2012, 02:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

My old boss who bred working line shepherds for a while had a female that would kill her puppies. She had to use another mother to feed the pups and it never changed. I know that's not the best news, and I hope that an experienced breeder will help you.

Shaina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2012, 02:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaina View Post
My old boss who bred working line shepherds for a while had a female that would kill her puppies. She had to use another mother to feed the pups and it never changed. I know that's not the best news, and I hope that an experienced breeder will help you.
Why would your boss breed her again when he knew she was not a nurturing mother?

cevans, I hope the pups thrive for you, and welcome to the site.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Don't let her near the puppies unless you want dead puppies.
Spay her after this is over, don't breed her again.

Bottle-feeding and hand-raising newborn orphaned puppies, whelping supplies, and recipes for supplementing new born orphans - from Chinaroad Lowchens of Australia Great advice here.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2012, 03:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

You need to get the puppies eating some from the mother. Even if you supplement with tube or bottlefeeding, it is important for them to nurse from the mother *within the first 24 hours* in order to pick up the antibodies in her colostrum.

If you have to muzzle her and sit on her to allow that to happen, so be it.

You may find that if you can force her to nurse the pups, her attitude toward them will change once the hormones released as a byproduct of nursing get coursing through her system. Then again, she may never take to the pups. Either way do not leave her alone with them for even a moment, and please spay her as soon as possible after this is all over.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
Why would your boss breed her again when he knew she was not a nurturing mother?

cevans, I hope the pups thrive for you, and welcome to the site.
When I said "never changed" I meant as the pups grew older the mother didn't suddenly take to the puppies through training or anything, not that she bred multiple times.

Shaina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2012, 03:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

The goak milk based home-made puppy formula recipe on this site is far superior to Esbilac or any of the commonly available milk replacers for feeding the pups.

Leerburg | Bottle Feeding
Old 02-02-2012, 08:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wild View Post
You need to get the puppies eating some from the mother. Even if you supplement with tube or bottlefeeding, it is important for them to nurse from the mother *within the first 24 hours* in order to pick up the antibodies in her colostrum.

If you have to muzzle her and sit on her to allow that to happen, so be it.

You may find that if you can force her to nurse the pups, her attitude toward them will change once the hormones released as a byproduct of nursing get coursing through her system. Then again, she may never take to the pups. Either way do not leave her alone with them for even a moment, and please spay her as soon as possible after this is all over.
Chris is spot on here.

IOW, ^^ WHAT SHE SAID.

Best of luck--I know this is a stressful and heartwrenching situation.

BlackthornGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2012, 09:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Goats milk is much much better. Use the formula found on the web site. Esbilac and other commercial foods have been known to cause cataracts in puppies.
You might try muzzling her to let them nurse, but like everyone else said, don't let her alone with them for one second, that is all it will take to kill the babies. Is this a maiden bitch? Has she had other litters before? Sometimes she is in pain from full breasts and the puppies not emptying them , so a maiden bitch will assume its the puppies and want to make them quit nursing. You might be lucky enough that once the babies nurse a few times, she will relax, but again, even if she will let them nurse, don't trust her at all. NEVER.
Spay her and don't let her have babies again.
wyominggrandma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.