Signs and Symptoms of Pregnancy - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2011, 11:27 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Schäferhund Home :: Health :: Brood Bitch :: Pregnancy Calendar

Very good list of days pregnancy and symptoms...30 days is still early to "see" - I notice a thickening of hte waist first, nipples more prominant, female off feed - some 'morning sickness'....

Lee

wolfstraum.net

wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2011, 12:15 AM   #12 (permalink)
Elite Member

Usually, at least with my many years of breeding dogs, the bitches have a CLEAR sticky discharge that usually shows up around the 5 week mark. I have done lots of palpations, but it has to be between days 28-35 and alot of vets are not real good at it.
I always looked for the sticky discharge, even if I tried to convince myself that a girl was pregnant and the discharge just wasn't showing up, it always meant no pregnancy.
wyominggrandma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2011, 01:10 AM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I freaked out when I saw the "plug" the first time. But that was the only time I actually noticed it, my girls clean themselves up pretty good. I have stealth-pregnancies. And boisterous false pregnancies.

In a false pregnancy you can get all the signs and symptoms, weight gain, off feed/morning sickness, enlarged nipples, milk sometimes, nesting, and a big fat nothing in the whelping box.

It is wait and see. or get an ultrasound.

Jenna, RN CGC & Babs, CD RA CGC HIC
Heidi, RA CGC
SG3 Odessa, SchH1, Kkl1, AD
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2011, 10:01 AM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyominggrandma View Post
Usually, at least with my many years of breeding dogs, the bitches have a CLEAR sticky discharge that usually shows up around the 5 week mark. I have done lots of palpations, but it has to be between days 28-35 and alot of vets are not real good at it.
I always looked for the sticky discharge, even if I tried to convince myself that a girl was pregnant and the discharge just wasn't showing up, it always meant no pregnancy.
Hmm - from Nipples???? I saw this with Csabre - who looks very preggers I did not ultrasound, but will x-ray for a head count as I like to know what to expect.

Lee

wolfstraum.net

Old 10-24-2011, 10:23 AM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Definitely an ultrasound further along in the pregnancy...if the breeder has bred the dog before, they may notice some signs. But these signs aren't always the same pregnancy to pregnancy (just ask how many women have had different problems/symptoms during their own pregnancies....).

Regarding "being ready." You bred the dog, so you need to act as though she's pregnant and be 100% prepared for a litter of puppies.
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2011, 11:16 AM   #16 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

For me the slime discharge (from the vulva, Lee, not the nipples ) has been my most reliable sign other than x-rays after 57 days. My females' vulva have stayed swollen after breeding instead of going back to normal if they were not bred. This can be another early sign if you know your female well.
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2011, 11:32 AM   #17 (permalink)
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

The still swollen vulva and later discharge are things we always look for too and those have been present every time one of our girls has been pregnant. But we also do an ultrasound to make sure, and get a count of the puppies.

If she's 30 days from breeding, it is the right time to do an ultrasound so if you want to know for sure I would schedule her for one.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:47 PM   #18 (permalink)
Elite Member

I am sorry, I did not specify. the clear sticky discharge is from the vulva, not the nipples.
wyominggrandma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2011, 04:06 PM   #19 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Csabre had a slight sticky substance from nipples if pressed last week - just a teeny tiny droplet...yes, vulva has definitely been enlarged since breeding - I noticed that a while ago....she has only had one litter 2+ years ago...so it has been a while.....

Lee

wolfstraum.net

Old 10-25-2011, 04:30 PM   #20 (permalink)
Elite Member

After 30 days gestation, your vet can do a Relaxin level. This is a simple blood test that will tell you if she is pregnant. I do this with my pregnant females and then do an x-ray for a head count around day 58-60.

Sabra - female GSD - born April 30, 2012
Sargeant - rescued senior GSD male/foster failure - approximately ten years old (August 2013)
Max - rescued GSD - Dec 22, 2010 to March 7, 2012 - at the bridge
Sable - rescued GSD - at the bridge
WVGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.