Locked in Prey - Page 16 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2012, 09:11 PM   #151 (permalink)

my male gsd is like that with cats he went thru a fence and bent the door after one and his soccer ball the only way he will let go is when i grab the collar and say "leave it". he takes exiting bites long he looks to catch grip with the mullers reather then the k9s his bites are really deep and he keeps biting up locks pulls then bites more into the prey and does the same .

Chuly 9-17-12
Lucky Paw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 09:34 PM   #152 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Who resurrected this gem of a thread?! So deliciously informative...

"May my enemies live long so they can see me progress."

www.germanshepherdguide.com
Wild Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 06:37 PM   #153 (permalink)
Crowned Member

i wonder if we are feeding the prey drive on a daily basis with our working dogs. this isn't exactly on subject, but i got thinking, how many of us rehearse playing retrieve every day with a ball, toy, whatever. i am thinking that is practice for running after prey., feeding the prey drive...........not that it has anything to to with the genetic thing that Cliff mentioned..........but you can certainly bring the prey excitement out by rehearsing running for toys and getting the excitement level up. most working dogs must have a degree of prey drive but i wonder if we didn't do any retrieving or training to bring it out in our dogs if the prey drive could be kept at bay., even in over the top genetic drives.........i know working a dog in certain activities the a degree of prey drive is needed, but can you reverse these over the top prey genetics or balance things by not bringing it out through play/training in that area. call me crazy, maybe to much thinking.....
Old 11-17-2012, 08:04 PM   #154 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Actually... that is prey drive and certainly you develop what already comes genetically by playing and training. Chasing cats is more like crittering. I have high prey drive dogs than can sleep next to the cat and at the same time I'm boarding a Siberian husky that you could not teach not to chase the chickens, but wouldn't run after a ball or tug if his life depended on it.
Catu's Pack
Catu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 09:03 PM   #155 (permalink)
Knighted Member

We have a dog at our club that goes back to Fero 7 times in 8 generations. I have heard him bark maybe twice in a year. All he does is scream like a banshee while being worked in protection. He is also completely fixated on the sleeve. Zero interest in the helper. Now from the video's I have watched of Fero, he did not seam to be this way. He seamed to be a solid dog with some good fight in him. What is it about the back masking that brings this psychotic prey drive out?
robk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 11:20 PM   #156 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Been telling people this for years....but when the sport bug bites; people lose sight of balance.
cliffson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 11:35 PM   #157 (permalink)
x11
Banned

maybe if sport eg schutshund was just about achieving a standard and maybe high, medium, or low in the standard and not have a point system there would be no need to go to extreme breeding practices to get dogs capable of that extra point.

of course you would not have a winner as such just dogs proven to work at a high standard.
x11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 06:26 AM   #158 (permalink)
Crowned Member

i have a Fero and Tiekerhook decendant, and i can see what Cliff is talking about.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:31 AM   #159 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
We have a dog at our club that goes back to Fero 7 times in 8 generations. I have heard him bark maybe twice in a year. All he does is scream like a banshee while being worked in protection. He is also completely fixated on the sleeve. Zero interest in the helper. Now from the video's I have watched of Fero, he did not seam to be this way. He seamed to be a solid dog with some good fight in him. What is it about the back masking that brings this psychotic prey drive out?

yeah i saw a ddr dog like this also he never barks but he just screams when he sees he gets to bite lol

A guy that saw this said his ddr dog did it also lol

god i hate that scream, imagine if your dog did that? lol how annoying it would be
pets4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 10:55 AM   #160 (permalink)
Knighted Member

The funny thing is, everyone at the club praises that dog becuase he has so much drive.
robk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.