Best line gsd for a healthy long life - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2010, 11:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Best line gsd for a healthy long life

First I want to say I am not a breeder or a professional anything when it comes to GSD what I am is a GSD only owner all my life which is 50 years now,and I have been researching over the last few years and one big question seems to keep pooping up. Is one of the GSD lines Superior in physical health over the rest.

I know there are much better bread GSD's than the American lines that I have bought all my life, but after reading several articles about the Old World GSD and how far off we are with today's GSD standards it makes me wonder if a lot of the hip, knees, and spine issues haven't been caused by today's breeding and todays GSD standards.

Here are two links that have me , just a guy that want's to be able to buy a healthy puppy some day asking my self which line to choose.

Whats The Difference between Show & Working GSD's? - Yahoo! Answers
Illustrated Standard of the German Shepherd Dog, TYPE COMPARISON

After reading articles like this it seems to me the Working Line GSD has the most promise for a physically healthy dog. Of course next you have temperament and the working line GSD is bread for just that WORKING which in many peoples lives as my own I don't want a high drive dog I prefer a low drive dog which in most cases could be the Show line GSD.

Now are we sacrificing health for temperament? Are we going to move to looks and pick the show dog over the working dog for it's coat and maybe it's color. Is the roach back ruining the GSD's hind end? Again I don't know all the right words to use but I hope you get where I am coming from and help me out here.

I kept reading if you want to know a good breeder in your area you first need to know what line GSD you want. It's confusing because all I want foremost is the best chance for a healthy GSD and I WANT a lover a family pet and it doesn't really matter which line but it does matter if one line is Superior in physical structure over another. Of course I have a favorite look or color but I am not going to let that sway me from getting the healthiest GSD line I can.

Please educate me in simple terms.
ZAYDA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2010, 11:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I am not an expert, or a breeder, just an owner of GSDs as well. I had an American showline dog. He lived for 12 years and had 1 benign cyst removed when he was 4 and a kidney infection when he was 11. That was it for health problems. He died in his sleep at age 12 with no suffering and no signs of any illness. My GSD now is a DDR workingline. So far so good as far as health. He is 11 months old. There is a big difference in temperament. My DDR pup seems to be a lot sturdier than my American dog ever was. His legs are thicker and stronger looking. He's a lot more muscular, his back is not as angled as my American dog. He has a different temperament, easier to train because he needs a job to do. My American GSD could be classified as lazy. I would take him for a walk, get to the end of the street, and he would lay down.
Wolfiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2010, 11:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfiesmom View Post
I am not an expert, or a breeder, just an owner of GSDs as well. I had an American showline dog. He lived for 12 years and had 1 benign cyst removed when he was 4 and a kidney infection when he was 11. That was it for health problems. He died in his sleep at age 12 with no suffering and no signs of any illness. My GSD now is a DDR workingline. So far so good as far as health. He is 11 months old. There is a big difference in temperament. My DDR pup seems to be a lot sturdier than my American dog ever was. His legs are thicker and stronger looking. He's a lot more muscular, his back is not as angled as my American dog. He has a different temperament, easier to train because he needs a job to do. My American GSD could be classified as lazy. I would take him for a walk, get to the end of the street, and he would lay down.
I do know there are always going to be exceptions everywhere you look but do you feel that the greater percentage is what I out lined above.

I have owned 6 GSD all American GSD, all to big.
"Males 105-115lbs & Females 90lbs. My first puppy died 30 years ago @ 5 months old from parvo, and I last two males to bloat. 1 actually lived past 10 he made it to 12 but he had deterioration of the spine. Now I have 2 girls 10 & 6 and each have had knee surgery and one has had hip surgery.
I am planning my next puppy to have the best potential to be strong , healthy, and able to run past the age of 5. So this is my season to figure this out if thats possible.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAYDA View Post
I do know there are always going to be exceptions everywhere you look but do you feel that the greater percentage is what I out lined above.

I have owned 6 GSD all American GSD, all to big.
"Males 105-115lbs & Females 90lbs. My first puppy died 30 years ago @ 5 months old from parvo, and I last two males to bloat. 1 actually lived past 10 he made it to 12 but he had deterioration of the spine. Now I have 2 girls 10 & 6 and each have had knee surgery and one has had hip surgery.
I am planning my next puppy to have the best potential to be strong , healthy, and able to run past the age of 5. So this is my season to figure this out if thats possible.
I think what you outlined is more true now than before. I got my American GSD in 1989. He was born in 1988. While he had a more angulated back than my DDR dog, It was not to the extreme that we are seeing now, 21 years later. So yes, I think that the workingline will have less problems with hips,knees, etc..
Old 11-26-2010, 12:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Interesting video on the way a GSD has changed
Old 11-26-2010, 12:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

I look at that video and the examples are not show dogs you would ever see here, I look at the room and it seems like someone's basement, not a show site. The crufts ribbon makes it look worthy yet the dogs from that show are not shown movign and lots of dogs will occasionally stand wrong. To me that video is as useless as anything coming from Peta that wants all dogs neutered. Sorry but I still maintain all varieties have health issues and the only way to find a healthy dog is to research individual kennels and lines they are using. Ask to see health tests results, ask to see older family members, retired dogs, how is there health?? Do they have older dogs at home that are active, healthy and over 10 and 12?? WE can find bad breeders and good breeders in all lines
trudy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2010, 01:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Health wise the best dog we ever had was my first - Sneaker, who was American showlines. She was born in 1986 and was not physically extreme in any way as the ASL often seem to be these days. Her temperament was great too, and she lived to 14-1/2 years old in relative good health. She had recurring ear infections and flea allergy dermatitis, but that was back before Advantage and Frontline. If we'd had better flea meds back then we would have been able to keep it under control better. We also fed her Science Diet her whole life because we thought it was a good food.

The absolute best dog in every way that we've had was Dena, WGSL, but she unfortunately died at 4 years old from Lymphoma.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2010, 02:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

So I guess it does pretty much come down to today's breeders and finding a good one along with asking the right questions. I knew it wasn't as easy as picking a certain GSD line but everybody's in site is worth hearing to me anyway. thanks
Old 11-26-2010, 02:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAYDA View Post
So I guess it does pretty much come down to today's breeders and finding a good one along with asking the right questions. I knew it wasn't as easy as picking a certain GSD line but everybody's in site is worth hearing to me anyway. thanks
I wish I could give you the answer to your question but I think it does depend on the breeder and the bloodline/health of the parents.

Sinister isn't even 2 years old yet so we are no help.

Sinister ~ black GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ Dalmatian 6.30.13
LaRen616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2010, 02:17 PM   #10 (permalink)

I dont think you can get a specific answer, looking for longevity and good health, goes back to the breeder who keeps up with dogs they have bred and health issues.

The gsd's I've had, 3 lived until almost 14, one passed away at 9 complications from spondylosis. They were varying lines, the 9 yr old american lines, the other 3, east german was the majority.

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.