Want to breed my male dog - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2010, 03:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Want to breed my male dog

Hello,

I have previously posted messages about breeding my dog, Quint. Recently we got his OFA papers and the hip joint conformation was evaluated as "good". I am looking for a someone who would consider using my male to breed. In exchange for breeding, I would love to keep one female puppy. Please let me know if anyone is interested.

Thanks
Luda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2010, 03:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

What titles do you have on your dog? Why do you think he should be bred?
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2010, 03:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

There are enough breeders and puppies in this world, it doesnt need another one.

Good hips and being a good pet doesnt qualify a dog to be bred. What kind of pedigree does your dog come from? Has he received any titles?
Lucy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2010, 03:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

I don't understand the reasoning behind wanting to breed your male to get a puppy. Why don't you just get another puppy from the same breeder? I see there are only males left from the current litter, but there's another litter due in mid-September with the same sire as your dog, so those puppies will be half siblings.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2010, 03:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

We entered my dog in the United Schutzhund club of America, in June 2008. He got a second place in young adult class males. Unfortunatelly, I lost the paper that they gave us, so if someone could tell me where I can look up the information regarding his title, that would be great. As for his pedigree, the sire is Sancho vom drei Birkenzwinger and the dam is Wilma von Waterloo.
We wanted to have a puppy of his from the beginning, with the intention of neutering him after. I have looked into shelters for adoption and other kennels. However, I really do want to have a puppy that came from him.
Luda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2010, 04:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

There are a lot of nice pets out there being put down every day. Don't breed your dog just to make more of them so you can have one. Unless your dog is proven exceptional and so far he's not other than in your eyes - good thing as you should love your own dog, do not breed him and contribute to the pet overpopulation problem.
Old 07-04-2010, 04:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I won't tell you not to breed because it is not my business.

Just remember that your dog is only half the puppy you will receive and that if you want a good dam you have to demonstrate the owner of that female why you should breed your male with her, not to us. For that reason titles... or at least achievements, are good, unless you don't care to breed your dog with a backyard breeder. Also, the pup you will keep will be one of many. Choosing the right dam (again, not a BYB) will ensure that your dog's sons and daughters will not end up in shelters or chained at the end of a backyard.

I see you have German showlines, to start you could koerclass your pup, to separate yourself from backyard breeders and make your dog a real stud. Nobody here can tell you to breed your dog or not, but we can suggest you do it the right and ethic way because we love this breed.
Catu's Pack
Catu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2010, 05:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catu View Post
I won't tell you not to breed because it is not my business.

Just remember that your dog is only half the puppy you will receive and that if you want a good dam you have to demonstrate the owner of that female why you should breed your male with her, not to us. For that reason titles... or at least achievements, are good, unless you don't care to breed your dog with a backyard breeder. Also, the pup you will keep will be one of many. Choosing the right dam (again, not a BYB) will ensure that your dog's sons and daughters will not end up in shelters or chained at the end of a backyard.

I see you have German showlines, to start you could koerclass your pup, to separate yourself from backyard breeders and make your dog a real stud. Nobody here can tell you to breed your dog or not, but we can suggest you do it the right and ethic way because we love this breed.
VERY well said! I think it's all been covered in this post.
Highplains Christmas Shimmer- Noel
emjworks05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2010, 09:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Though starting with a great dog is a start for breeders, there's way more as you start really getting into it! There are TONS of great dogs out there, and tons more in shelters that come from litters that 'just want to keep one puppy' but there were a bunch more that needed great homes.

You read this yet? Things to look for in a 'Responsible' Breeder
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2010, 12:18 AM   #10 (permalink)

The problem here is no one with a halfway decent German showline bitch will breed her to such a dog without titles and Koerklasse, so you probably will not get a puppy as nice as the male (assuming he is good for breeding) and risk all sorts of genetic issues. In the USA, German show line bitches can be bred to VA dogs for less than the price of a pick female puppy.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.