White German Shepherds rare? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2010, 01:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Jessiewessie99 Send a message via Yahoo to Jessiewessie99 Send a message via Skype™ to Jessiewessie99
Default White German Shepherds rare?

I have been reading about a lot of people breeding their White GSDs because they are rare.Is this true?Mostly its not good breeders who are saying this.Are there good breeders who say this too or other GSD people.

I personally don't think they are rare, I see them alot, a few people who live near me have White GSDs.

Molly-GSD ✔ Certified Ninja Dog
Tanner-GSD ✔ Certified Lovebug
RIP:
Max & Simba
"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible."-George Chakiris, as said by Agent Derek Mogan
Jessiewessie99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2010, 10:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

No, they are mot rare.
Sheilah
sit,stay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2010, 11:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

I'd say Panda's are rare, but never whites, they might not be the total norm, but there are quite a few, even on here there seems to be a lot.

Personally, I LOVE the look of the Panda Shep, and I'd love to get my hands on one that didn't cost an arm and a leg... so beautiful.

Waiting at the Bridge:
Buddy ~ GSD/Husky mix 1/00
Sadie ~ GSD 10/05
Lady ~ GSD 5/09
Pepper ~ Beagle 12/09
FuryanGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2010, 11:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
The Italian One

No white GSDs are not rare.

Bark A Little on Facebook
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2010, 02:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

"Rare" is one of those words that are often used by folks to tack on another zero onto their pet's prices especially when it comes to color or size.

Now, if it was a rare BREED of dog, that's another story.

Handmade puppy and dog toys - Free Shipping
100% Proceeds to animal rescues -
http://gandggoodies.webs.com/ - PICS NOW UP!
SouthernThistle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2010, 02:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Jessiewessie99 Send a message via Yahoo to Jessiewessie99 Send a message via Skype™ to Jessiewessie99

Yea figures.People can be so greedy.

Molly-GSD ✔ Certified Ninja Dog
Tanner-GSD ✔ Certified Lovebug
RIP:
Max & Simba
"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible."-George Chakiris, as said by Agent Derek Mogan
Jessiewessie99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2010, 02:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernThistle View Post
"Rare" is one of those words that are often used by folks to tack on another zero onto their pet's prices especially when it comes to color or size.

Now, if it was a rare BREED of dog, that's another story.

Totally agree with you on that one anytime someone says rare color you know they either don't know the breed or are hoping to find someone else that doesn't know to sell them to
Melly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2010, 04:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

There is no such thing as a "rare" color in the German Shepherd. There are two kinds of color - colors that are accepted under the standards and colors that are not.

There are some breeders who specifically breed for colors that are outside the standard, such as blues and livers, because it allows them to advertise these dogs as "rare colors" and add on additional costs to the price of the puppy because it's "rare" and "unique" and comes with the promise that you will be "the only one on your block to own one." People like the idea of having something unique and happily support those breeders, just like people buy "designer dogs" or brand name items.

That said, the White German Shepherd is in the process of becoming its own breed. In the United States, they are recognized by the United Kennel Club (UKC) and can be shown in conformation, but they are not recognized by the American Kennel Club (AKC).

The white Shepherds are a little different in terms of where they fall in the "outside the standard" classification because whites were not originally considered to be faulty or outside the standard. It wasn't until the 1930s in Germany that they were excluded. At the time, it was assumed that the white color would be linked to genetic problems and that it could cause dilution of colors if white dogs were bred to regularly colored dogs. We now know, of course, that whites are not albinos and don't cause dilution of color - instead, the white is a masking gene, which basically covers the coloring of a regularly-colored dog and turns it white. You can breed a white that carries black/tan to a black/tan dog and get an entirely black/tan litter. Unfortunately, it has not changed back to allow whites into the standard.

There are some breeders who like to play whites up as "rare" so they can charge more for them, and there are also breeders of normally-colored dogs who continue to spread false information about whites. I came across a page once that said whites caused dilution of colors and that whites could not herd because the sheep viewed them as "one of them". It was on the website of a black German Shepherd breeder.

AbbyK9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2010, 04:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

White GSD's are not that rare and most are bred to be white. Others, like my white GSD was not bred to be white. Instead his parents both had the white gene and by a fluke, he was all white. I did not pay any extra for him because of his ACA status and he was the runt of the litter (if they only saw him now) Both of his parents have a little white in them, but one was mostly black and the other mostly tan colors. He could not be AKC registered because he is all white. Had to register him through the ACA. All white is considereed a breed flaw because one of the breeds main objective is herding and an white dog blends in too well with the livestock they are intended to herd and is not as effective.
GermanPrinceHero is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2010, 04:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

See, this is why I was told Zeva's not reg. They siad her G-Father is white and could not be reg. Someone on here said that they can be, have been able to for a long while... I just don't know anymore.. they can be reg, but not shown, from what I understand but to be AKC Reg, both parents also have to be. Zeva's father wasn't because of this white thing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanPrinceHero View Post
White GSD's are not that rare and most are bred to be white. Others, like my white GSD was not bred to be white. Instead his parents both had the white gene and by a fluke, he was all white. I did not pay any extra for him because of his ACA status and he was the runt of the litter (if they only saw him now) Both of his parents have a little white in them, but one was mostly black and the other mostly tan colors. He could not be AKC registered because he is all white. Had to register him through the ACA. All white is considereed a breed flaw because one of the breeds main objective is herding and an white dog blends in too well with the livestock they are intended to herd and is not as effective.

Waiting at the Bridge:
Buddy ~ GSD/Husky mix 1/00
Sadie ~ GSD 10/05
Lady ~ GSD 5/09
Pepper ~ Beagle 12/09
FuryanGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.