German Shepherds Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Black + White = Wolf?

66K views 153 replies 60 participants last post by  ksotto333 
#1 · (Edited)
So I came across some photos today, claiming to have a "silver sable" GSD out of a solid black x solid white breeding. Here's the link:

Spirit of the Wolf on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I know silver sables actually exist, but I've never seen one that looks even remotely like this.
This dog looks like a mix to me, plain and simple. I don't believe for one second that its pure GSD, but now I am curious as to what the actual results would be from a black x white breeding cross?

I know both are receive colors... but I'm not big on genetics, so I have no clue as to what that kind of a mix would produce.

Any insight?

#12 ·
#5 ·
He doesn't look purebred. He looks like he's probably part husky, by the facial markings. Just a guess, though.
Either way, that's a beautiful dog.

#7 ·
DNA would be interesting.
Did you see some of the other photo's on that link? He is stunning. And another dog on there looked alot like Liesje's Coke.

#8 ·
I can't comment on whether he is pure GSD or not - he doesn't look it. But the white gene in GSD's is a masking gene, so the white parent could have genetically been a sable...so black x white could have produced sables.

#11 ·
My pup is out of a solid black mom and solid white dad and her pups were mostly solid black and the rest were black and silver. All very pretty

#19 ·
I think it's possible for it to be a GSD, it's just a very bizarre combination of markings. I think what throws everyone is the facial markings, but I have seen sable dogs that have those facial markings (light cheeks with a darker forhead and nose), they're jsut not as distinct because they're usually on a darker tan background. Obviously this dog is white where it should be tan so the markings show up darker and more distinct than they would on a normal colored dog. Consider this sable...If you made the tan a bright white, I think the markings would show up darker.

And I don't think his eyes are really as light as they appear in that first picture. Either the light is hitting them just right or there could be a little photoshop going on....

Personally this is not my kind of dog. Interesting maybe, But I don't think I'd want my dog to be a conversation piece with Joe on the street because it's some kind of bizarre, unacceptable color. Next thing you know everyone wants a Shepherd that looks like some kind of Aussie or White Fang. Get an Aussie or a Husky. I would rather my dog be a conversation starter with knowledgable owners because it's so correct in every way, and an educational piece for Joe to say THIS is what a GSD should be...

#20 ·
JKlatsky- I've seen the diluted masks before, but even with them, you could actually see some fragment of the black remaining. Even in the dog you posted, you can see the black around his nose/lips.

This dog has a white mask... exactly the same as a Malamute. I've never seen a PB GSD with this characteristic. Supposedly Eisenmann's London dogs did, but I've never seen it confirmed that they were true GSDs (I actually heard that the first London was picked up as a stray?).

They remind me of a Tamaskan dog, actually. A more masculine version of this:
Ta-Kari Tamaskans, Colorado, USA - TAKEIA

#21 ·
I don't like to call people liars outright when you'd need DNA to prove it. Just trying to be a little bit more of a Devil's advocate I guess :)

It is visually indisputable though, that even if this a GSD (and I agree, that there's as much chance that it's not as is) it's incorrect to standard and while perhaps interesting to look at, should be given as much respect as people that promote the Rare Blue or Liver Shepherds. The dog should have been fixed and the breeder shouldn't put those dogs together again. Instead I'm sure that the dog is used to market all the wonders of Rin-tin-tin combined with the wild beauty of White Fang. Appalling. JMO.

#22 ·
The dog should have been fixed and the breeder shouldn't put those dogs together again. Instead I'm sure that the dog is used to market all the wonders of Rin-tin-tin combined with the wild beauty of White Fang. Appalling. JMO.
I didn't see where she was a breeder... Where did it say that?

He looks like a GSD to me, if you ignore the abnormal colors... I do not give a rat's patootie about color if the dog can work... Color, unless it's a potentially problematic color (like Merle, and how breeding two merle's together can cause serious problems)...

As for the dog, without seeing a pedigree there is no way in heck you can know. I don't care if it's a black and tan dog, while you can be pretty sure it's a pure bred, without documented lineage, how are you to say it doesn't have a malinois a few generations back? You can't.

#26 ·
I've never seen a pure GSD that looked like this. None with any distinguishable linage, anyway.

If this is what the result in a black X white cross TRULY produced, I can pretty much guarantee that we'd be seeing a LOT more of them. I mean, what a pretty dog he is... the BYBs would have a field day. After all, the whole "looks like wolf but isn't" thing seems to be big with them. Hmm.

#28 ·
From the tip of the ears, to just under his eyes, you could have fooled me. Looks very shepherd.

But the muzzle area, and especially the nose, just seem highly "off" to me.

Granted, the ones where he's looking straight at the camera make it a little harder to tell. But when his head is facing off to the side a bit, its more telling. The one where he's standing in the water, and the body shot where he's standing in front of it.

Just don't strike me as shepherd at all.

#30 ·
APBT- I get your point, but consider also- she DOES have the mask.

I've never seen a GSD with a white mask. Even those without the black mask do not have the white Malamute-esque facial markings.

My point being, IF this was a true black x white breeding, wouldn't we have seen it before? Why is this dog so unique looking?

Again, if that's really the outcome of such a cross, we surely would have such a dog before.

#31 ·
Oh I know, I've seen a breeding of a WGSD and a real BGSD, NONE of the pups looked like him. But I've seen stranger colors... HIS colors look like a Agouti Siberian husky, but conformation wise other than color, he looks GSD.. Possible he's got husky somewhere back in his breeding that popped up now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.