embarassing question about the breeding process - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 04:16 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

embarassing question about the breeding process

Hi there,

I'm not a breeder and don't plan on making myself one. I'm embarrassed to ask this but I do want to know just as a "for my information" type thing. Long ago my Father (who is full of more hot air and misinformation than he knows!) told me that once a male & female begin the breeding act, you cannot separate them. True or False? and if it's true, why? Is it because you can do them physical harm or because it's physically impossible?

Going off to a corner to blush for asking this!

Deb • Riley & Nissa
Rainbow Bridge • Damien Katy Crocket Kayla Gypsy Toby

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
German Shepherd Dog Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
• web sites for Rescues, Shelters and Pets
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 06:21 AM
Master Member

Re: embarassing question about the breeding process

I believe the reason is that the penis swells when the dogs go into a 'tie' and it would do physical damage if they were forced to separate. From what I understand it's impossible to actually separate the dogs until the swelling goes down after ejaculation. I read in another post here the other day that ice packs had to be applied to a male when he couldn't release a tie after 45 minutes!

~Stephanie

Alexa (04/25/09)

Princess (GSD/Pit Rescue) October 1996-September 2004

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 07:16 AM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to mkennels Send a message via Yahoo to mkennels

it is true, what stephanie said, it would do more damage not just to the male but also the female as well

Janet
UKC CH Mystical Talyn D'Argo, TT, OFA H/E, CERF, AKC DNA
UKC CH Gretchen Julika Little Star, TT, OFA, Cerf, AKC DNA
Von Hornberger's Mystical Knight, TT, CERF, AKC DNA, OFA
Ranita's Heavenly Angel R.I.P 9/15/07-10/15/08

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Thanks folks. Can't believe Dad was right, he's wrong so often!

Deb • Riley & Nissa
Rainbow Bridge • Damien Katy Crocket Kayla Gypsy Toby

German Shepherd Dog Blog

• web sites for Rescues, Shelters and Pets
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 07:53 AM

Yep...I learned the answer to this question from my neighbor's pitbull and mastiff (even though he is neutered!!)

Melissa & the Girls
*Grace, 7 yo GSD*
*Kira, 3 yo GSD*
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 08:33 AM
Crowned Member

I remember when I was a child the neighbors dogs bred and the owner of one sprayed a hose at them to get them to separate. Before the neighbor did this the female was screaming to get away, then the male got upset. It was pretty disturbing for me to see this, I was about 7 or 8 had no clue why they were in pain.
This was way before spaying and neutering was common and most dogs were just wandering the neighborhoods, all seemed to get along and there weren't ever any oops litters that I can remember.

Jane~
Kept by

and

Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 09:16 AM
Crowned Member

Not to mention the bone that is in there. I wouldn't want to take a chance on damaging it. Don't believe me, look up male dog bone pen*s (you fill in the blank)

Angela

Hardy, Diesel, Jet, Denial v. Zioner Berg, Iris & Patches the cats
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 09:58 AM
Knighted Member

Really, I learn so much from this board!!

someone told me the longer they are attached the more puppies they have ?

Heidi, human mom to
Daisy, 6 yr JRT
Bella, 3 yr GSD
Bo, 2 yr GSD
Rest in Peace,
Kasey, GSD Shelter 8/96-12/07 at the Bridge
Patches, CS Shelter 4/93-4/05 at the Bridge
Keisha, GSD 12/87-10/96 at the Bridge
Tarsha, GSD my sweet 16 BD at the Bridge
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 10:45 AM
Crowned Member

it's all dependent on how many eggs are released by the female

Angela

Hardy, Diesel, Jet, Denial v. Zioner Berg, Iris & Patches the cats
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 10:55 AM
Crowned Member

There is a picture on the Woodhaven Labs website - GREAT website!

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/males-swollen.html

There are two glands on the penis, near the base. These glands swell up when the dog gets sexually aroused. The glands allow the penis to stay inside the female - creating the 'tie'.

Trying to pull apart tied dogs could be VERY harmful to both. Unless they are fighting you just have to let nature takes it course.

When breeding dogs most people will stay with the pair - making sure that neither dog tries to struggle. When I bred Kaynya she was fidgety at the beginning of the tie so I had to hold onto her to keep her from moving and hurting either herself or the male.

Once the male is in and tied he will move off of the female, flip his leg over her back and they stand butt to butt. Everyone says this is a more comfortable position for the dogs during the tie. While I can agree that the female may be more comfortable (not having the male hanging on her back anymore) I just can't see how it's comfortable for the male to have his penis bent backwards! Ouch!!

Once the penis is inside the female she CAN get pregnant. They do not need to 'tie'. Sometimes the male does not swell and so doesn't stay inside the female for long. This is referred to as an 'outside tie'.

Females CAN still get pregnant with an outside tie.

I found this info while Googling - I don't know how valid it is:

Quote:
Quote:The ejaculate of a dog is passed in three fractions. The first fraction of clear fluid is virtually sperm free. The second fraction is richest in sperm, and is released immediately after thrusting. The third fraction is a larger quantity of prostatic fluid containing some sperm, and this is delivered as an intermittent ‘drip feed` which helps transport the sperm to the oviduct.
Some ties can last just a few minutes (inside or out) and some can last a looooong time!!

My first experience breeding was back when I had Neke. My breeders husband and I were in their basement with Neke and their stud, Ozzie. We got the breeding and they tied. It took 45 minutes!!

You don't want it to last TOO long as it can become uncomfortable for both dogs. Bags of frozen veggies (peas work best) can be applied to the underside of the males penis to help reduce swelling.

Spraying them with water will do nothing other than aggitate them and possibly cause injury.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page