Movement - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2007, 04:45 PM   #31 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Re: Movement

I agree with your post Lee but I am talking more about the movement of the GS in reference to correct conformation. The ability to start, stop, change direction, explosive propulsion,jump, or all the things that a good shepherd dog would have to do to manage 300 sheep or do the police work. The character is another component also, but do you ever see dogs that seem clumsy, or so long that the quickness is not there. To be correct conformation should show these attributes in abundance because they are the qualities that are needed to do work(herding/police) and thus should define the breed.
cliffson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2007, 07:50 PM   #32 (permalink)
Master Member

I was enjoying an AKC show last summer, and saw shepherds which I thought looked and moved beautifully. Their handlers were wearing Nike running shoes and moved beautifully as well but shockingly looked more athletic than the dogs! I saw some handlers had to slow down to let some dogs catch up w/them in making tight turns! When you have a "working dog" breed that looks less athletic than its human handler that breed has a problem IMHO.
Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2007, 06:49 PM   #33 (permalink)
Crowned Member

sorry - I sort of went off on a tangent there!!! As far as economical movement, I think the smaller working GSDs are more agile and can still trot pretty well, if not as breatakenly "pretty" - I know I was driving a quad around the Kentucky Horse park and watching my working line trot at a solid 25 MPH for at least a half mile!!! Yet she was a whiz at twists, turns, jumps etc in agility. The bigger the animal, generally the less agile and athletic.

Lee

wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2008, 01:29 PM   #34 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

bump to avoid pruning

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2008, 06:10 PM   #35 (permalink)
Crowned Member

That is a fantastic and beautiful video. Now there is a flying trot to write home about! True perfection in motion.

EDIT: Is that VA Dingo in the video? If not, anyone know who that is?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
DianaM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2008, 09:47 AM   #36 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Yes, the dog is VA1 Dingo vom Haus Gero, his hip production was not so good.
He was known for a lot of "Fast Normal" hips.
But passed on some of the best hardness and fighting instinct of any of the Great Show Males.

Fayanna vom Wildhaus CGN
Deejays_Owner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2008, 05:31 PM   #37 (permalink)
Crowned Member

That's not so bad if there were still a low incidence of truly bad hips. If he produced litters that were consistently fast normal for the most part with only occasional bad hips, I think the structure and ability and temperament he brought to the table would be well worth it, but again that is something that must be decided after much pedigree research and choosing the right bitch lines.

Does anyone know if there are any recent dogs that have Dingo in their lineage once or more that also retain his abilities? Or any kennels?

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
DianaM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.