German Shepherds Forum banner

What type does he look like

3K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Die Fledermaus 
#1 · (Edited)
I wasn't trying to stack. So don't make fun of me. Lol
I'm just wondering what type of shepherd he is and if he looks good weight wise. Feel free to move this to the proper section if it's in the wrong spot.

He is approximately:
26" at shoulders
34" long from chest
82 lbs

I've been feeding:
Authority Grain Free.
4 cups daily

Is he too thin now? He was overweight at the rescue I got him from. I've made him lose some, but don't want to overdo it. He has confirmed hip displaysia so I know I need to keep him on the thin side.
He was limping at the rescue which is why they checked his hips.
No limping since I've had him. He gets lots of excersize and never seems sore .

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks to be a cross between American Show line and German Show lines. Could be all of one or the other or could have some working line mixed in. Very nice looking dog. Keep him slim, regular low impact exercise -- walking, swimming, and supplement with vitamin C and maybe something specific for joints -- you may never need surgery for him.

#3 · (Edited)
nice looking dog. he doesn't fall strongly into a type so he's likely a mixture or what's referred to as "pet lines". his weight actually does look a hint too thin to me. he's got a large frame and I'm assuming he's an adult? if he's lost a lot recently then he may balance out soon - otherwise I might put 2-3lbs on him. if you didn't, that wouldn't be horrible either tho.

#6 · (Edited)

1950's American bred Champion

I recognized this to be a very old type American bred show line of the late 50- 60- going into early 70's before Lance of Fran Jo

The head type is reminiscent of the 50's as well. Have seen that head on the Longworth Dogs .
Brando vom Aichtal
German Shepherd Dog -
Female

1951 GVX CH (US) Tawnee von Liebestraum

AKC W082514

Don't see any recent WGSLs at all. This looks like multi-generations of home-bred GSD

looks balanced and looks like an efficient mover

still have hundreds of German Shepherd Dog Reviews and Redbooks going back that far ~!

keep him on good clean protein and keep his ligaments and cartilage firm (PM me)

#8 ·
if he's a swimmer then you've hit gold. no need to increase his food just yet... allow him to put on the weight in muscle.

it's all a balancing act and may take a bit to figure out.

good muscle helped my HD girl more than weight loss. aided in mobility by relieving some of the work of her deteriorating joints.

#9 ·
He's the lady killer type. Handsome boy!!!

Seconding what everyone else has said, let him tone up. Swimming is great. Also there are lots of hip strengthening exercises that you can do indoors, some need a bit of training, but they will come in handy when the weather turns.

Keeping him lean, well muscled, and on good supplements and your boy will keep making the ladies swoon for a long time to come :)

#11 ·
He's the lady killer type. Handsome boy!!!

Seconding what everyone else has said, let him tone up. Swimming is great. Also there are lots of hip strengthening exercises that you can do indoors, some need a bit of training, but they will come in handy when the weather turns.

Keeping him lean, well muscled, and on good supplements and your boy will keep making the ladies swoon for a long time to come
Thanks! I posted my question the moment you posted your comment. Haha.

#10 ·
Thanks everyone!
He is probably 3-4 years. That's what the vet guessed.
I take him on long walks/hikes. We have lots of hills. For fun he loves fetching the ball in our back yard. All dirt. No pavement.
He is definitely lacking muscle tone in the rear especially. How do I help build that up?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.