German Shepherds Forum banner

Have yet to figure out why...the coloring on my pup

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  LokiTheDog 
#1 ·
I have a 7 1/2 no GSD with some white markings on his chest and front two paws. He was the only one of the litter to carry the trait. I got to meet the parents as well- the sire was a classic saddleback while the bitch was a blanket back. Any ideas what causes the coloring? I'm so curious!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
That's quite a bit of white on a GSD! If you're sure both parents were purebred, maybe one (or both) of them carries the gene that produces panda shepherds? Obviously not as extreme as some of the panda coats, but that's the only thing I can think of that such large white patches could have come from. :confused: Again, not quite sure, just throwing out a theory.

#3 ·
From what I could tell, the parents had no mix in them but I'm always questioning. However, my coworker has my dogs sister and she looks like a full blooded GSD with no white anywhere! It was only my pup, so I'm not sure where it came from. I'll try and get more information out of the guy I got him from. Thanks!

#4 · (Edited)
There are quite a few American bred show line dogs that had splashes of white on their forechest , even some very well known , popular , high placing champions , Heart Breaker of Boblyn , if I recall had a big white heart shape on his front (?).
I know Pinebeach's Chase of Lorien did - big one - SEL CH (US) Pinebeach's Chase of Lorien

You have to watch for fading pigment with white or pink nails .

forum member with same question http://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...294050-white-patch-german-shepherd-puppy.html

the Panda colouration was a spontaneous mutation .

Apparently the mutation was on a gene , already present which would/could have produced "panda" type colour , except that this version of the gene was a lethal gene. That means any fetus carrying the gene would have expired , and so early on , that there was no risk to the dam.

#6 ·
He's normal.

He is not a panda.

He is pure.

I have seen a lot larger white patches on the chest in high placing dogs as Carmen said. And a couple of white toes on a puppy is no big deal. They will usually turn silver as the puppy gets bitgger, not very noticeable, but the nails will be clear. Not a big deal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.