German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   The Breed Standard (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/breed-standard/)
-   -   So you think our breed hasn't changed (specially their backs?) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/breed-standard/463209-so-you-think-our-breed-hasnt-changed-specially-their-backs.html)

MaggieRoseLee 06-22-2014 07:38 PM

So you think our breed hasn't changed (specially their backs?)

2014 article.
**NEW ** June 2014 ... The Evolution of the Back of the GSD - The German Shepherd Dog

Interesting how many get thru the article

sehrgutcsg 06-22-2014 07:45 PM

There's a video on Google: The German Shepherd, yesterday and today.

There's not much to say, "the Humans did it."

SGCSG

SunCzarina 06-22-2014 08:06 PM

There's humans here who'd argue that it's the right thing to do. SMH. My dogs look like that refrigerator turned on it's side. Well Otto does, Venus looks more like a broom closet...

sehrgutcsg 06-22-2014 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SunCzarina (Post 5676649)
There's humans here who'd argue that it's the right thing to do. SMH. My dogs look like that refrigerator turned on it's side. Well Otto does, Venus looks more like a broom closet...

Yeah, you got that right. The human's here will argue at just about anything their dead set against.. Full angulation, is not the stronger frame, Jenn. It's like a bent piece of rebar falling and just the "bow" hits first and the rest goes flat on impact. I love the breed, but I also love the more subtle topline of the American lines.

Not going to start a war here, just voice it and move on !

SGCSG

ken k 06-22-2014 08:25 PM

I perefer the stright backs

Susan_GSD_mom 06-22-2014 08:27 PM

Can anyone offer an explanation of the rationality (or lack thereof) behind the roach backs? (or is it contained in that very long article that I will have to go back and finish when I have an extra hour or so...)

I am so happy that there are still straight backs around!

Susan

trcy 06-22-2014 08:43 PM

I think some of those comparisons in the video have to do with the stack or lack of. In earlier pictures the dogs were just standing normal. As time went on they started stacking the dog to create the slope back. My dog can be stacked to have a slope, but most of the time he's pretty straight. He is German bloodlines.

Nigel 06-22-2014 08:44 PM

Some gsds look like hyenas.

CharlieB.Barkin 06-22-2014 09:15 PM

I'm looking forward to reading the entire article. I won't have enough time until tuesday evening, but I did come across that topic a few months ago. The original GSDs seemed to have straight backs and they seemed to have very long legs. Much more squarely built than today's dogs. That was my impression from the pictures I've seen.

Romany 06-22-2014 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan_GSD_mom (Post 5676785)
Can anyone offer an explanation of the rationality (or lack thereof) behind the roach backs? (or is it contained in that very long article that I will have to go back and finish when I have an extra hour or so...)

I am so happy that there are still straight backs around!

Susan

Good question,from what I have read it was because they thought they looked better?Maybe someone can explain what there reasoning was.

Personally I prefer the straight backs too;)
I was told by RCMP Police Dog Services that they went to the
Czech working GSD lines because the Dogs could stay in Service longer
And were better able to go over obstacles to get there suspect.