Bi-color w/ white chest patch - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2014, 02:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Bi-color w/ white chest patch

I have had many people ask "what breed is your dog?" due to Molli not having *normal* coloring (some peoples reasons) and what they perceive as small size (61lbs just turned 1yo yesterday). I get a little tired of trying to explain that not all GSDs are black and tan. Yesterday I took her to a herding school here in the area for her first outing. She did amazing and will be going back and working towards a HIC. The owner who was working the sheep asked what she was mixed with and said she had never seen a dogs coat colored like hers. While its not desirable in a show ring- I dont mind the white at all. Anyone else have dogs with larger white blazes? Am I right in thinking 60ish pounds is a normal size for her?
Attached Thumbnails
Bi-color w/ white chest patch-20140124_141809.jpg   Bi-color w/ white chest patch-20140124_141410.jpg   Bi-color w/ white chest patch-20140429_200637.jpg   Bi-color w/ white chest patch-20140402_201626.jpg  
m1marty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2014, 10:26 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Bigger isn't better

My 10mo, 65lb female has a white blaze which covers her entire body (lol, she's a white shepherd), and people ask what she is mixed with all the time. I reply "other white shepherds." Usually get a quizzical look.

Anyway, 60 is on the lower end of the "standard" IIRC. Actually I hope my girl does not get much larger, I don't want or need a giant. She's plenty big already - in fact too big to fit on my lap in the hammock in any case.

One big advantage for of a smaller size dog in agility and herding is that they will be much faster to stop, accelerate and change direction. Probably jump as high or higher than larger competitors. It's basic physics. And chances are the livestock and obstacles will react exactly the same as they would to a larger dog. ;-}
schnellmann is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2014, 10:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Oooooh what a good looking girl!
misslesleedavis1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2014, 10:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Delgado had a patch on his chest as a pup which has pretty much disappeared except for a few sparse white hairs. As bicolour is probably the least seen coat pattern in the GSD I feel your pain for people not recognizing them and assuming they are mixes. I had a guy stop me in the pet store when Delgado was young and he was downright convinced there was wolf in his pedigree

White spots or patches are not uncommon in GSD's, it's not desired but it doesn't affect the dog in any way physically or mentally so it's one of the last things I'd be worried about People are always there to comment on height, weight, colouring, and even foot size of other people's dogs - don't let it bother you too much

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2014, 01:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Most GSD's are not bred to the standard. So can be over size. Also, early spay or neuter will remove the hormones that regulate growth, so you get tall, skinny dogs. You dog looks great and within the breed standard. Free of extremes. You will see if you look closely lots of american show line GSD's with very large white patches on their chests. Its just not as noticeable against the light tan hairs. My black GSD's I am usually asked what they are mixed with as well.
dawnandjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2014, 05:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

My girl had some as a pup. Hers are almost gone now. Bi-color w/ white chest patch-imageuploadedbypg-free1401225789.576817.jpg Bi-color w/ white chest patch-imageuploadedbypg-free1401225868.837707.jpgBi-color w/ white chest patch-imageuploadedbypg-free1401225902.721085.jpg

You have a beautiful dog

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Mishka&Milo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2014, 05:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I have a 65lbs. female. Most working females are in the low 60s.

People think GSDs should be 100lbs beasts. They think my 85lbs male is small...even though he's at the top end of the standard at that weight and at 25.5 inches tall. But they see American GSDs and even some German Showlines that just seem bigger because they either have more substantial bone or are a bit wider (in the case of the German dogs).
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2014, 05:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

she is a black and tan (not bi-colour) and that is all you have to tell folks

Carmspack
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2014, 06:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

my bicolor has white spotting, it never faded with age. I've heard from people that she must be mixed with Doberman, lol! She is way over the standard for height and weight. You can see her white spotting on her feet, she has it on her chin(which has spread!) and her chest:

Old 05-27-2014, 09:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
my bicolor has white spotting, it never faded with age. I've heard from people that she must be mixed with Doberman, lol! She is way over the standard for height and weight. You can see her white spotting on her feet, she has it on her chin(which has spread!) and her chest:

You must have the scariest back yard ever! They are all so beautiful!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Mishka&Milo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.