German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   The Breed Standard (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/breed-standard/)
-   -   Breed Standard Ratio (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/breed-standard/442705-breed-standard-ratio.html)

SummerGSDLover 04-25-2014 12:55 AM

Breed Standard Ratio

1 Attachment(s)
I read that the ideal GSD body ratio is 10:8 Length:Height. Is that correct?
Just measured my pup's length and it's 30". Then from floor to withers and the conservative measurement is 27.5" --- so based on these measurements he's roughly 3" too tall for his length, is that correct?
So, will he get longer? I know I'm measuring him correctly based on the pictures on Google I was looking at. I would post his pedigree but the "breeder" told me they'd mail it when they got it but still haven't.
Just wondering out of curiosity, what are your dogs measuring at and what is their age?

Yogi
DOB 09.01.2013
Weight: 75
Height: 27.5"
Length: 30"

I feel like he is too big! LOL. I absolutely love him, he's perfect the way he is but I never see any other shepherds around for comparison (except for the king shepherd down the block who is 115 lbs and 33" tall!). I don't know why it matters. I'm just curious I guess.

Thank you.

*-*Summer*-*

JakeInJersey 04-25-2014 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SummerGSDLover (Post 5429273)
Yogi
DOB 09.01.2013
Weight: 75
Height: 27.5"
Length: 30"

For what it's worth, here's my girl:
Haddie
DOB 7.28.2012 (21 months)
Weight: 77lbs
Height: 24.5"
Length: 29"ish

Not 100% sure that I did the length measurement the same way you did, but I did the best I could based on your screenshot :)

SummerGSDLover 04-25-2014 12:17 PM

For what it's worth is a good way of saying it. :) It really doesn't matter, I was just curious. Thank you for your response. It sounds like your dog is perfectly proportioned. ;)
I'm not trying to be one of those "my dog is bigger than yours!" Id actually prefer he be more your girls size. :) It's nice to talk to someone on here. I think people maybe don't like me very much on this board, although I can't figure out why. Maybe too many stupid questions. :(

*-*Summer*-*

JakeInJersey 04-25-2014 12:35 PM

Lol. I don't know about any of that :)

I'm in the same boat as you.. I would actually prefer her a little smaller, but I'm not complaining either. I feel like she's probably done growing length/height wise, but I'm sure we have another few pounds worth of filling out to do :)

Anubis_Star 04-25-2014 12:46 PM

Males should be no taller than roughly 25 inches. So yes per standard your boy is oversized.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

SummerGSDLover 04-25-2014 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anubis_Star (Post 5431001)
Males should be no taller than roughly 25 inches. So yes per standard your boy is oversized.

In knowing this now, will I have to watch his joints, exercise, etc.? I wanted to try to get him into weight pulling once his growth plates close. In your opinion, is that off the board now?

*-*Summer*-*

Anubis_Star 04-25-2014 12:54 PM

My boy is 27.5-28 inches tall. We are doing schutzhund. I'm even considering looking into dock diving.

Have his hips and elbows OFAd to make sure they are clear of dysplasia first. I would never do a hard impact sport with a large dysplastic dog. But other than that, keep him lean. Fat is a killer of dogs - obese dogs with a statistically much shorter life. Keep a lot of lean muscle mass on him. Feed him a good quality diet. And he should be fine.

SummerGSDLover 04-25-2014 12:56 PM

Getting his hips OFA'd means I have to wait until he's two, right? And how do I do it? Can a normal vet do that or does it require sending the images somewhere? Thanks for your knowledge, I really appreciate your time.

*-*Summer*-*

SummerGSDLover 04-25-2014 12:56 PM

Anubis, what is dock diving?

*-*Summer*-*

Anubis_Star 04-25-2014 12:59 PM

Do preliminary OFAS at a year. Or you can do pennhip as young as 16 weeks. Preliminary ofa won't be a definite, but it will give you a good idea what the hips look like. Any vet can do ofa films they just have to follow the guidelines on the ofa website. Leerburg also has a great page on proper ofa positioning.

To do pennhip the vet has to be certified so that would probably require some research.

If i was going to do weight pulling I probably wouldn't want to do too much before a year and a half or so anyway so I don't think the time frame will get in the way.