German Shepherds Forum banner

Dumb question - "upper arm"?

5K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  lhczth 
#1 ·
I can't for the life of me tell the difference between a steep, short, long, etc. upper arm when looking at pictures in the "Critique My Dog" section.

Can someone post pictures of dogs with "desirable" upper arms vs. steep/short/whatever upper arms? And maybe draw points on the pictures, since I don't really know where I'm supposed to be looking? :confused::confused:

#2 ·
Well, I can give you a good example of poor conformation.

The girls, a mockingbird, and Connor 069 by RBElwell, on Flickr

Leo has a very straight, upright shoulder, and a short forearm. She also has a narrow front and tied in elbows. The end result is very little reach in front, and an overall lack of agility.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#4 ·
Here are three photos I did some editing to a few years ago. All have long upper arms. The line from the elbow to the point of the chest.

Attachments

#6 · (Edited)
I guess I'm still not really getting it. I have that same picture of Bodo vom Lierberg saved on my computer, and even though I see the line you drew on his picture, I don't actually see anything on the dog's body that indicates where the upper arm "ends", so to speak.

Hopefully that makes sense. xD

#7 ·
The upper arm runs from the elbow to the point of the shoulder. Go feel it on your own dog. That will help you visualize it in the photos.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.