German Shepherds Forum banner

Long Coat Question

4K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  KathrynApril 
#1 ·
I am curious if those of you who have had long coat puppies noticed much of a difference in their fur from when they were puppies to when they were adults. grant it I know they go from puppy fur to adult coat. So I guess what I mean is, Dinozzo seemed extra fluffy when I got him at 8 weeks but as he keeps getting older and older (a little over 4 months now) his coat doesn't seem to be that long anymore. His ear floofies are the only thing that seem to have stayed really long. I am up north so it definitely isn't a matter of the weather being too warm.
I actually ran across a guy who happened to be at the breeder with his puppy when I picked out Dinozzo & who I ended up seeing at the trainer I decided to see today. His puppy does seem to have gotten a longer/fuller coat.
So is it just a matter of transitioning from puppy coat to adult coat and the adult coat needing time to grow out? I was hoping for a long coat throughout but at this point it looks like it's just going to be the ears.

Side note: I wouldn't trade my boy for the world. I love him immensely.

#2 · (Edited)
they look short for a long time and then the coat grows in :) it takes quite awhile for the full coat though

here you can see her at 4-5 months old with her "ugly tail" as we called it ;)

8 months or so here

12 months here, after she blew coat (went into heat and she lost a ton of hair)

she was pretty fuzzy as a baby

edit: heres a pic where you can see how much her tail fluffed out, shes still not done getting hairy

#5 ·
Is your pup from working lines or show lines? WL long coats tend to have shorter coats than SL long coats, although still significantly floofy when compared to standard coats in either line.

I'll share Baron's (WGSL) transition like the other's above have to give you more material. His adult coat really started to come through 7-10 months.

8 weeks old (the day we brought the fluff ball home)

3-4 months

6 months

7months (quite a change in just one month!)

10-11months

Now at 16 months (sloppy stack:p)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.