Black Sable, show quality? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2014, 02:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Black Sable, show quality?

Hi guys, I'm new to this site and I've browsed posting rules and believe I'm allowed to post such thread. If not please let me know where I should be posting!

Anyways, I have two sable GSDs. I've always assumed they were not a qualified color. But as my 5 month old eastern line shepherd is beautiful in color and structure, I've begun a little more research. According to the AKC, only white is an instant disqualification, and that rich colors are the most preferred. My female is a light sable so I know she is not of show color, however I'm having a hard time making the call on my puppy. I'm going to try and upload his picture and am looking for some opinions! Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Black Sable, show quality?-photo-4-dog-park.jpg   Black Sable, show quality?-get-attachment.aspx.jpg  
Mocha Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2014, 02:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Are you talking AKC, UKC or SV show?
dawnandjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2014, 02:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

Akc
Old 01-03-2014, 02:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Sable dogs tend to be working lines and, while there is no disqualification, working line structure is not typical of what the "show" crowd wants. Handsome pup. The older one appears to be German Showlines. Once again not the AKC cup of tea. But it is hard to tell from such a small picture.

If you look at the critique my dog section you can pose your dog in a stack and ask opinions. What is the pedigree? You could probably get involved with schutzhund and show under SV rules but, once again, for show there, black and red is favored. A lot of us on the forum love the working lines though.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2014, 02:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My goodness he is gorgeous!

I would LOVE to see a sable in the show ring!

Sinister ~ black GSD 3.11.09
Dakota's Unbreakable Vow "Draven" ~ Dalmatian 6.30.13
LaRen616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2014, 02:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thank you for the information, I'll be sure to check that thread out now!
Old 01-03-2014, 02:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRen616 View Post
My goodness he is gorgeous!

I would LOVE to see a sable in the show ring!

Thank you! I adore his color!
Old 01-03-2014, 02:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I’m going to be pretty blunt…

Looks like you have a working line male. It’s highly likely that although he does have good structure, it is not AKC quality structure. Since you’re asking this question and basing it off of color, I’ll assume that you don’t know much about the structure the AKC judges like to see. Sadly, “good structure” is a very subjective term and not objective like it should be. Yes, you can enter your boy into any AKC show you want (given that he is AKC registered and intact), but the likelihood that you’ll actually win anything, is slim to none. If you post a stacked picture of your dog, from a straight on angle (not above or below him) we’d be able to go into more detail of why your dog will probably not do very well in the AKC ring, at the moment I’m just going off of the pictures you posted and the understanding that a dark-sable like that is unlikely to have come from American Show Lines.

If you want to give it a go, I suggest an all-breed show. At a specialty show…99% of the time you’ll probably end up dead last.

I’m not saying this because I think your dog is bad, I’m basing it off of my knowledge of the AKC show ring. The same would go for the SV ring. You could probably have some success in UKC.
martemchik is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2014, 02:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post

If you look at the critique my dog section you can pose your dog in a stack and ask opinions. What is the pedigree? You could probably get involved with schutzhund and show under SV rules but, once again, for show there, black and red is favored. A lot of us on the forum love the working lines though.
His father is a Sch3 Slovakian Military K9, and he has definitely inherited his drive. His mother is from DDR working lines, but was kept as a family protector only. Unfortunately for me the only Schutzhund trainer in my area is moving soon and no longer taking new clients. However I've been researching a few clubs and started his basic obedience, tracking etc with a different trainer. Hopefully when I am ready to move I will find a trainer close by.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

Martemchik, Since I've never actually shown a dog, what I know of the AKC standard is only what I've been able to read from their website and the books I've been able to get my hands on. What I know of his structure is what I am able to measure with my vet and since he is young I can only make estimates. I'm only asking about his color first because I couldn't really gather if it was frowned upon, and didn't want to waste any more of my time furthering my research if he was an automatic no.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.