German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   The Breed Standard (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/breed-standard/)
-   -   I can't take it anymore!!!! (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/breed-standard/389130-i-cant-take-anymore.html)

Xeph 12-31-2013 12:49 PM

I can't take it anymore!!!!

Seriously. I can't. I just can't. I have absolutely come to HATE the word "sloped". Even when not applied to GSDs, the word sends me into white hot fits of rage.

People...STRAIGHT and SLOPED *are not mutually exclusive*!! Straight does NOT mean parallel to the floor! It means exactly as it sounds! Straight = without curve, dip, bend, etc.

Look! Here's Wesson, who shows a *straight back* in both pictures. The back is not the same as the whole top line, but I do suppose people are talking about the whole top line when describing the so called "straight back"

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u...ndStraight.jpg

In the first picture, her top line is diagonal towards the ground. It's still straight. The second picture that so many people claim as the "straight back" is the SAME animal. All that changed is how she's standing. Her back never stops being straight because of how she stands. What changes is the angle of her top line in relation to the ground.

I know this seems like a silly rant, but I just couldn't take it anymore. I swear I'm about to have my eye start twitching, and I have enough twitching problems already :p

dogfaeries 12-31-2013 12:52 PM

I hear you! Drives me out of my mind too.

"I definitely don't want one of those sloped dogs". ARGHHHH

Sent from Petguide.com App

wolfstraum 12-31-2013 12:58 PM

semantics --- and lay people who know nothing about dogs and conformation - just that they do not like the AKC show ring "look" that they see on TV on televised dog shows....they don't go into details like the longer stifle and more angulation of stifle and lower leg...they just don't like the look and that is how they express it...

You KNOW what they mean - they don't like what you like so it annoys you more than people not into the show ring....getting defensive because it is technically incorrect semantics does not change that many many people out there - non GSD people do not find the ASL as attractive

Lee

Xeph 12-31-2013 01:00 PM

Quote:

they don't like what you like so it annoys you more than people not into the show ring
No, Lee, improper terminology annoys me. Especially when they LOVE my dogs one second, and then ask why the same dog is "crippled" later.

Xeph 12-31-2013 01:10 PM

Everybody has their preferences, and that is fine. But when people judge on a single picture and haven't even MET that kind of animal or seen it not set up and then use improper terminology to describe it, that bothers me.

If people contact me and I don't have the kind of dog they thought I did, I help them find one that is appropriate.

We harp all the time on people doing their research and learning, but I guess that only applies if you're die hard pro working lines. Doesn't matter if people learn more about another style and then make an informed decision.

DaniFani 12-31-2013 01:23 PM

Yeah, I always cringe for you and dogfaeries whenever that happens. Especially when dogfaeries posts a pic of her dog as an example of a straight back and the difference a stack can make...and then gets some crumby comment about her personal dog by someone that doesn't know anything.

It's usually by people who want the "old fashioned straight back" or the "I want a german show line, NOT the american roach/slope." Which is funny because, isn't the roached back more prevalent in the german showline?? I know nothing about conformation, unless it's super obvious, I can't tell.

FYI, Xeph did you know your website is down? At least is "can't be found" in my Chrome browser. May just be my end though.

Tom888 12-31-2013 01:24 PM

You are right, sloped and straight are not mutually exclusive. The slope is a property of a line.

" the slope or gradient of a line is a number that describes both the direction and the steepness of the line." - says the mathematical definition :)

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slope

Wild Wolf 12-31-2013 01:27 PM

These are people who know nothing about breed conformation just trying to state their opinion of extreme dislike for the American/Canadian showlines, they see the angulation created by the stack and used in the show rings and that is all they see or care about, so they often comment that they "don't want a crippled dog and want a dog with a straight back"... it's just a lack of knowledge... you can't blame them considering the ridiculous misinformation being spread by people about the German Shepherd dog.

Don't stress... direct them to correct information and carry on. Not worth getting so upset over.

wolfstraum 12-31-2013 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xeph (Post 4749346)
We harp all the time on people doing their research and learning, but I guess that only applies if you're die hard pro working lines. Doesn't matter if people learn more about another style and then make an informed decision.

your post is on a pet peeve....being a die hard one type or another has nothing to do with your pet peeve! My POINT is you know what they are talking about! I can't begin to count the number of people who have walked up to me when I have shown AKC OB and asked where they can get a dog like <whatever I have on a leash - Kyra, Kougar, Danger, Csabre> and why the ones that are being shown walk <the way they do>

The only people I KNOW or have met who LIKE the ASL "look" are the ones who show them! I am sorry that offends you...I have never had anyone say to me that they want an ASL - even when they are clueless as to the differences in type.

Lee

sarah1366 12-31-2013 01:37 PM

Nothing wrong with your dog ones what I call show stance then one pic stood normal but your dog is exactly how they should look not some these gsds I've seen personally where the poor dog had such a bent spine it couldn't walk was 5 years old and had to be put too sleep was so sad your dog's beautiful I use to show mine and know the difference then again I've had this breed for over 30 years my mum had her own kennels and I learnt a lot from that and gratefully to her for teaching me everything I know

Sent from Petguide.com Free App