My pups father, please explain structure of him compared to true working line - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2013, 02:26 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default My pups father, please explain structure of him compared to true working line

Hey guys....I recently purchased a new pup...he is now 13 weeks old....This is my 2nd GSD. My first one is no longer with us My pups father is showline, but he def has a working line attitude. He is now 3 years old and the kennel just recently started him on his protection training. He is coming along very well....My pups grandfather Ken Vom Rosenblick is also excelled in his SchH protection score. 95, 96, and 94.... I've talked to the owner of Ken, and he said Ken is one of his best studs. Ken came from Dux de Cuatro Flores. All are German bloodline. Western Germany I'm pretty sure.

Here is a picture of my pups father. When looking at the structure, angles, etc, what am I looking for? I'm aware of the American bloodlines and the "roachback", which I don't like at all....When looking at my pups father, how does the structure look, etc....I'm trying to learn this aspect of it. Showline vs working line. I know showline GSD can be great dogs. I've been around a lot of my breeders dog, and they are all great dogs, from my view anyways. Temperament is great on them I think he looks very good, but this is coming from my a novice opinion. Can someone explain this to me in "English" ...lol.... Also, when measuring the withers, how do I go about doing this....Sorry for the rookie questions. I will post some of my pups mother also later.
I couldn't upload my pups father. It said I need to reformat it, which I can't do on my IPad that I'm aware of...So i will post a couple pictures of his grandfather. They look very similar. My apologies.
My pups father, please explain structure of him compared to true working line-image.jpg
Jmoore728 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2013, 02:27 AM   #2 (permalink)

Another picture of his grandfather. Hopefully in a few years, I will be ready for a true working line GSD. I might not have to if my pup turns into plenty of dog for me. If not, it doesn't matter. I figured this would be a great building block for me. I personally think I'm not experienced enough at this time to handle/train one correctly. I would hate purchasing a great working line GSD and not capable of training him right. I would probably run into issue if I tried. Not willing to risk it yet with boys only being 4.5 and 1 1/2 years old
My pups father, please explain structure of him compared to true working line-image.jpg

Last edited by Jmoore728; 12-19-2013 at 02:35 AM. Reason: Added more info
Old 12-19-2013, 03:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmoore728 View Post
Another picture of his grandfather. Hopefully in a few years, I will be ready for a true working line GSD. I might not have to if my pup turns into plenty of dog for me. If not, it doesn't matter. I figured this would be a great building block for me. I personally think I'm not experienced enough at this time to handle/train one correctly. I would hate purchasing a great working line GSD and not capable of training him right. I would probably run into issue if I tried. Not willing to risk it yet with boys only being 4.5 and 1 1/2 years old
Attachment 151698
Just wanted to say, a good working line pup isn't some crazy, neurotic, psycho, that the average home can't handle. Sure they need exercise, mental stimulation, and all the other things pups/dogs need, but they def aren't impossible or for *only experienced owners. I have a 12 week old working line, and so far he's been ten times easier than my showline was (granted the showline didn't come from great lines). Even at 12 weeks he's not super hyper (other than normal puppy stuff), he picks up on stuff super quick, was potty trained in hours, he just seems in tune with me. It's awesome! I just wanted to say, you would probably be fine with a working line OR a showline. I hate that some people just think working lines are these insane dogs and they are intimidated to have them. There are plenty here with showline and working line dogs...they're def different, but I bet most would say their working lines are a joy and a lot of them don't "work" them...they're family dogs, and other than the basic family obedience, they just enjoy their families. They don't know or care that they aren't doing IPO, protection, agility, flyball, etc....They just want to be with their families. Just saying, you should give yourself a little more credit. You would probably do just fine with a working line dog OR a showline.

Oh, and i have a 2 year old son, and kids over all the time. Pup does great with them. :-)
DaniFani is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2013, 03:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniFani View Post
Just wanted to say, a good working line pup isn't some crazy, neurotic, psycho, that the average home can't handle. Sure they need exercise, mental stimulation, and all the other things pups/dogs need, but they def aren't impossible or for *only experienced owners. I have a 12 week old working line, and so far he's been ten times easier than my showline was (granted the showline didn't come from great lines). Even at 12 weeks he's not super hyper (other than normal puppy stuff), he picks up on stuff super quick, was potty trained in hours, he just seems in tune with me. It's awesome! I just wanted to say, you would probably be fine with a working line OR a showline. I hate that some people just think working lines are these insane dogs and they are intimidated to have them. There are plenty here with showline and working line dogs...they're def different, but I bet most would say their working lines are a joy and a lot of them don't "work" them...they're family dogs, and other than the basic family obedience, they just enjoy their families. They don't know or care that they aren't doing IPO, protection, agility, flyball, etc....They just want to be with their families. Just saying, you should give yourself a little more credit. You would probably do just fine with a working line dog OR a showline.

Oh, and i have a 2 year old son, and kids over all the time. Pup does great with them. :-)
agree 110%. its such a common misconception. a working line dog doesnt have more energy than a show line dog. they dont run around the house non stop being hyper all the time. the main difference is that when they are working/training/in drive then you get great focus and energy and enthusiasm out of them. when we are training my dog is 110 miles per hour and is completely focused on the task. his body oozes with excitement and he WANTS to work. inside he can be as big of a couch potato as any show line dog. he can lay around and watch a movie with me or he can go lay on his bed and play by himself. if i nap then he naps. there are days where im busy/lazy and he gets no exercise and does fine (a little bratty but fine). my dog is only super intense while training. he has a great off switch even as a pup and has free run of the house the moment he was potty trained. working line pups arent crazy and full of energy and cant sit still. hate that misconception.

your pups dad has the color of a show line and the structure of a show line. i like the good deep pigmentation though. just enjoy your pup! dont go compare him to a bunch of youtube videos or you'll just put too much pressure on your pup and could end up disappointed (speaking from experience).
boomer11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2013, 06:13 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer11 View Post
agree 110%. its such a common misconception. a working line dog doesnt have more energy than a show line dog. they dont run around the house non stop being hyper all the time. the main difference is that when they are working/training/in drive then you get great focus and energy and enthusiasm out of them. when we are training my dog is 110 miles per hour and is completely focused on the task. his body oozes with excitement and he WANTS to work. inside he can be as big of a couch potato as any show line dog. he can lay around and watch a movie with me or he can go lay on his bed and play by himself. if i nap then he naps. there are days where im busy/lazy and he gets no exercise and does fine (a little bratty but fine). my dog is only super intense while training. he has a great off switch even as a pup and has free run of the house the moment he was potty trained. working line pups arent crazy and full of energy and cant sit still. hate that misconception.

your pups dad has the color of a show line and the structure of a show line. i like the good deep pigmentation though. just enjoy your pup! dont go compare him to a bunch of youtube videos or you'll just put too much pressure on your pup and could end up disappointed (speaking from experience).
Thank you both. I did perceive a working line GSD as something I couldn't handle. Glad you guys cleared that up. I will take that in consideration in the years to come. Right now I get great focus from Bane when marker training (food drive right now) ....Hopefully I can get the same results with a toy later on as he matures. As far as building his drive, I'm working on it, but I think it will get better as he gets a little older and more attention span. I'm pretty sure I'm worrying about this too much. I just need to relax and go with the flow. Whatever he has to offer, will be just fine with my family.....You are correct, the you tube videos has me thinking to much....I can't compare some of the Mal pup videos with my GSD....Or some of the older, mature GSD with a 13 week old pup....Thanks for the info, and I will just continue building the bond with my pup. As long as he is healthy, etc, ill be fine.....My first GSD was a nightmare with medical issues! but that was 100% the breeders fault. Bur she was great with my family. She was way over protective when on walks, etc. Made it tough at times but she was very loyal to us.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I think some are some are not. Some of the dogs being bred for police service work can be a handful and I am pretty sure more working line dogs wind up in police service and SAR and other working occupations than show line dogs.

I have one that can settle in his crate or a pen, but is non stop and very hard to live with and that is speaking from having GSDs continuously since 1985. Great temperament, solid nerves, but very pushy, very inquisitive and very active.

You have plenty of time to explore the differences; there are lots of shades of gray I think, particularly as many folks are breeding working line dogs for pets to get "dark sables" so it blurs the distinctions.

EDIT- I was talking with a teammate the other day who also has the kind of dog not so easy to live with. A very hard pushy dog. We both agreed we have dogs we could not have managed 10 years ago, but they are probably the best dogs we have ever had for the SAR (cadaver) work we do. Structure wise the most common complaints I have heard about the WL dogs are straight shoulders and long back where with the show lines you see more of the roached back (some of which is a problem, others it is a stacking illusion)

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles

Last edited by jocoyn; 12-19-2013 at 08:22 AM.
jocoyn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2013, 10:50 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The structure in the show ring is not that much different than the working lines....it is the type - the size, more substance and color - that are fashionable. The typical working line dog is critiqued as needing improvement in angulation, shouler, front and rear, length of forearm and croup....these are not greatly detrimental issues in the majority of dogs....yes - a straight shoulder and forearm make a less attractive, ground covering gait than a sloping shoulder and longer forearm....but it does NOT diminish the working ability of the dog! Actual real farm herding dogs are more likely to be working line dogs in Germany as per Wilfred Scheld. There is fashionable structure, ie showlines, and functional structure, ie working lines. There are ranges in both types.

As far as working line dogs as companions, yes - some ARE too much for the novice owner....some are not. The key is finding a dog who is bred by someone who understands what they are breeding, rather than throwing together whatever dogs they own, have handy or based on how many BSP/WUSV etc dogs are in the pedigree. This is much harder to ascertain.

Lee

wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2013, 10:59 AM   #8 (permalink)
"I like Daffy" Moderator

Quote:
I'm aware of the American bloodlines and the "roachback", which I don't like at all....
American showlines aren'troached in the back. They do tend to have longer thighs which gives them a slope to their toplines.

Home of Ch Doll; U-CDx Jag CDX GN RE NAP NJP OA AXJ(ch ptd); and Ch. Fisher (Mr. Evil)
At the Bridge: Ch Kahla CD; Ch Keno UD HSAs OA; Ch Kizzy HSAs RE; Ch Tag CD RAE2; Ch Pharra; Bee PT; Ch Natty; Ch Red the Dachshund
Andaka is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2013, 04:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The dog you pictured looks very nice. He is not roached. His top line looks ok. I don't like his feet, but if they bred him to a bitch with good feet, then I think that would tend to improve. He has a very nice head, good expression and good color.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2013, 04:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

*some* working line dogs are not good for novice owners, just like *some* show line dogs. A lot depends on what the dog is bred for. There are certainly some bloodlines that are more serious, sharp, handler-hard, pushy, energetic, etc. that do best with an experienced handler. But there is a wide range. I think the key with working line dogs is to find dogs with solid nerves, high thresholds, and biddability. Those dogs can actually make good pets, because their temperament can handle everyday situations without being nervous, fearful, or defensive. They are eager to please, quick to learn, and forgiving. Of course ALL GSDs (and really all dogs) need training, socialization, and exercise. Working lines tend to have a lot of drive, but should be calm and content to lie at your feet when nothing is going on.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.