Silver German Shepherds. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2013, 12:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default Silver German Shepherds.

How do we feel about "silver" and black GSDs? I've focused my breeding program on dogs with rich color and have steered clear of any dog I feel doesn't have the correct "look" even if they impress me with their working lineage.

I was contacted regarding a dog for sale. I looked at her bloodline and really liked what I saw... but she's "silver" and black.

She's really got the training and working ability I've been looking for, and that's very important to me, but I don't feel right about adding her to my breeding program because of her color.

I know lots of people like lots of different colors of dogs. I've seen liver shepherds, blue shepherds, of course the white and silver dogs... and I've never paid them any mind. I know what I like, what's "standard" acceptable and that's what I've focused on... but this girl is really pulling at me.
mehpenn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2013, 12:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

Why don't you like her color?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
EmeryGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2013, 12:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

She's mostly black, and it's not that I don't "like" her color, it's just that it seems kind of faded and washed out to me because I am used to rich red and black dogs.

When I look at a dog, the first and most important thing I review is their lineage, their working ability, and the training they've had, because we live on a farm and it's pointless to bring a dog here if it can't or won't work. But color/coat is the second thing I look at. I don't like dogs that look washed out and have bad color. I've always known what I like and have pretty much stuck to it.

Last edited by mehpenn; 07-04-2013 at 12:34 PM.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Reputable breeders don't select for "silver", but if a dog is outstanding in every other way, I don't think you should throw the baby out with the bathwater... color is one of the least important things in my book, though I too prefer rich, saturated pigment. IMO, a "silver" dog could have a place in a breeding program as long as he/she is bred to partners with rich pigment.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2013, 01:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

Freestep is right on, and if you are worried about customers being interested in any black and silver dogs that might come out of breeding that dog your asking about, well as for me, if it continues to produce dogs with great working abilities and the parents are both cleared of hip issues, than I would buy one from you.
DJ BEN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2013, 02:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

I would rather have an ugly dog with brains/temperament/soundness/workability than a pretty dog that had nothing between the ears

(Not saying the silver's are ugly, just a generalization)

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2013, 02:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

IMHO, if I were a breeder, the last thing I would care about is color. If you like her lines and she would contribute to what you are doing, then why not?

Taste the GSD rainbow. Capt. Stephanitz said himself that there are no bad colors...so the dog might surprise you.

Finnian The Irish Lad WGSD: SAR
Abeni the Little Warrior: Pomeranian rescue.

"Res nos operor ut alius algo"
"Go mairidís beo"
Shaolin is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2013, 03:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA View Post
I would rather have an ugly dog with brains/temperament/soundness/workability than a pretty dog that had nothing between the ears
+1 to that.

Personally, I like all the colors of GSD. I love the rich red-and-black showlines with their leonine ruffs. But I love silver-and-black dogs too; I think there's something elegant about their silvery coloring.

And yes, far far far more important to me than a dog's color is what he or she can do.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

She's at a sheep farm not too far from me, so I might just have to drive out there and take a personal look at her. If she works like they say she does, then I might reconsider.
And again, it's not that she's an "ugly" dog, she's very pretty, heavily blanketed, mostly black, her coat looks good in the pictures. She's not an overly large dog, looks to have good bone structure and her OFA is good. Her color is the only thing holding me back, but I guess that's just my years of personal understanding of the standrard and striving to only to produce acceptable dogs. I my mind when I hear "pale, washed out colors are a serious fault".. that includes silver dogs, because that's "pale"... but that's probably not the most accurate way of thinking?
Old 07-04-2013, 03:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin View Post
IMHO, if I were a breeder, the last thing I would care about is color. If you like her lines and she would contribute to what you are doing, then why not?

Taste the GSD rainbow. Capt. Stephanitz said himself that there are no bad colors...so the dog might surprise you.

thats great!

And Im with everyone else, if the dog has the linage, drive, temperament, health certs.,training that you like/need/want then go for it, color should be the least of your worries
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.