German Shepherd vs White German Shepherd vs White Swiss Shepherd - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2013, 07:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default German Shepherd vs White German Shepherd vs White Swiss Shepherd

Is the White German Shepherd, the same as the White Swiss Shepherd? And would that (those) breeds technically be a different coat variety as the German Shepherd Dog recognized today? Kind of like ASCOB, Black and Parti colored Cockers? Or Paint Horses vs Quarter Horses?
mehpenn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2013, 09:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

In the GSD standard , the white coat color is not acceptable. The way I understand it is that since the GSD was to be a working dog, a white coat would stand out at night and the dog would be a target for the enemy. So the white shepherds are not GSDs. Hopefully others will reply and explain if there are other differences.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Not GSD's??? I don't think that is correct. White Shepherds are just as much GSD's as are blues and any other coat color that isn't allowed to compete. They are still GSD's just not allowed to compete in the show ring. As far as I know they can still compete in everything else.
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 10:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

It's confusing to me... I've read where the White Swiss Shepherd is linked to the German Shepherd, and the White German Shepherd lost acceptance under Hitler's rule in Germany.... but what I've read kind of talks in circles, so I'm not finding an out-right answer. Of course I've been having to read in spurts, so I could be missing something.
mehpenn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 10:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

White German Shepherd Dog - The color white is caused by a recessive masking gene introduced into the breed from the very beginning. White coated German Shepherds can be registered with the AKC as German Shepherd Dogs. The disqualifying fault for the color white means the dogs can't be shown in the conformation ring but they are allowed to take part in all other AKC events. (obedience, agility etc.)

White Swiss Shepherd also known as the White Shepherd and Berger Blanc Suisse. Not recognized by the AKC but recognized by the UKC and the FCI. Shares a common ancestry with the white coated GSD but is bred to a different standard.

Breeders who support recognition for the White Shepherd in the AKC (and CKC) typically refer to their dogs as White Shepherds or White Swiss Shepherds even if they're still being registered as GSD's. Breeders who produce white coated German Shepherd Dogs call them GSD's or White German Shepherds.
Whiteshepherds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 12:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Where does "Swiss" come into it, is what I am curious about.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Very informative and long article
White German Shepherd Dog Club of America, Inc. || The Breed || White German Shepherd Dog vs. White Shepherd
Old 02-20-2013, 08:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The Berger Blanc Suisse (White Swiss Shepherd) parent club in Switzerland is given credit for establishing the new breed in the FCI and they got to pick the breed name. I would guess they're proud of their accomplishments and their country, hence the word "Swiss".
Old 02-20-2013, 08:19 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherdmom View Post
Not GSD's??? I don't think that is correct. White Shepherds are just as much GSD's as are blues and any other coat color that isn't allowed to compete. They are still GSD's just not allowed to compete in the show ring. As far as I know they can still compete in everything else.
No they are not GSD's. No matter what you say, the SV will NOT and NEVER recognize the white coat. That is why they are Berger Blanc Suisse, the White Swiss Shepherd Dog! In order for them to be accepted, they must be the Swiss Shepherd. It's better that way. So to me, there is no such thing as the White German Shepherd. There is a white Shepherd, a White Swiss Shepherd and the Berger Blanc Suisse but there is NEVER a white German Shepherd!

The AKC is the only registry accepted by the FCI, so it's time that the AKC should actually recognize the Berger Blanc Suisse, like the rest of the world.

People should get a grip and finally come to terms with that!

Last edited by Mrs.K; 02-20-2013 at 08:24 AM.
Mrs.K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 08:56 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowers View Post
Information about when the whites were disqualified from the ring can be found on the AWSA website on this page, down along the right hand side. History of the White Shepherd, American White Shepherd Association Not sure why the WGSDCA says the information isn't available, it was printed in the GSD Review.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.