German Shepherd vs White German Shepherd vs White Swiss Shepherd - Page 22 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2013, 11:00 AM   #211 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfstraum View Post

It is not supporting BYB to use AKC - it is supporting BYB to use Continental KC, American Pet Registry or UKC who will let you register a litter from a dog who has non breeding AKC papers.

Lots and lots of good SAR dogs are UKC. I don't consider them to be BYB dogs.
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2013, 01:38 PM   #212 (permalink)
"I like Daffy" Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherdmom View Post
Lots and lots of good SAR dogs are UKC. I don't consider them to be BYB dogs.
But what annoys us as breeders about the UKC is that they will grant full registration to a dog that the breeder has sold with a limited AKC registration.
Home of Ch Doll; U-CDx Jag CDX GN RE NAP NJP OA AXJ(ch ptd); and Ch. Fisher (Mr. Evil)
At the Bridge: Ch Kahla CD; Ch Keno UD HSAs OA; Ch Kizzy HSAs RE; Ch Tag CD RAE2; Ch Pharra; Bee PT; Ch Natty; Ch Red the Dachshund
Andaka is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2013, 02:06 PM   #213 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I agree, that UKC would have a better standing if they honored the limited registration. I understand that the AKC might let people get around their limited registration also though.

It is sad that that really doesn't mean what it could mean.

But the UKC allows the white Germand Shepherd dogs to be shown, which allows the fanciers of those dogs an avenue to prove their conformation and get championships.

So it is kind of a toss up. For typical GSDs I wouldn't want anything to do with the UKC. But if I knew someone who wanted a white one, I would suggest someone who shows UKC, and hopefully has AKC papers on the dog.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2013, 02:15 PM   #214 (permalink)
Elite Member

Doesn't the UKC do "All Around" shows? To get a Ch., you have to not only look good, but show some kind of working ability through OB?

Finnian The Irish Lad WGSD: SAR
Abeni the Little Warrior: Pomeranian rescue.

"Res nos operor ut alius algo"
"Go mairidís beo"
Shaolin is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2013, 02:20 PM   #215 (permalink)
Crowned Member

No one wants to touch the fact that all the junk registries register GSDs. I cannot believe the SV gives them a license to do so. But for some reason the AKC needs permission to use the name -- that is really strange to me.
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
Old 04-19-2013, 03:09 PM   #216 (permalink)

The UKC is not a "junk registry" and plenty of people with very good GSDs (working even) from great breedings participate in UKC events. The UKC is over 100 years old and places high emphasis on work and performance, not just conformation (Total Dog awards). If you don't like the UKC then don't register dogs or participate but get it straight before lumping it in with APRI, ConKC, etc. Several of the most titled, successful (not just sport but SAR and Service work) GSDs I know are regular participants in our UKC events.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2013, 03:19 PM   #217 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
The UKC is not a "junk registry" and plenty of people with very good GSDs (working even) from great breedings participate in UKC events. The UKC is over 100 years old and places high emphasis on work and performance, not just conformation (Total Dog awards). If you don't like the UKC then don't register dogs or participate but get it straight before lumping it in with APRI, ConKC, etc. Several of the most titled, successful (not just sport but SAR and Service work) GSDs I know are regular participants in our UKC events.
But they give full registration to AKC dogs with limited registrations. That's awful. What is their reasoning behind that?
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
Old 04-19-2013, 03:34 PM   #218 (permalink)
Crowned Member

This article does a good job pointing out the core differences between the AKC and UKC and how it's affected their growth in recent years if anyone is interested in reading it or isn't familiar with the UKC.
The Big Picture | Canine Chronicle
Whiteshepherds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2013, 04:33 PM   #219 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
But they give full registration to AKC dogs with limited registrations. That's awful. What is their reasoning behind that?
Why is it awful? Why would they care about AKC limited registration? They give full registration to dogs with verifiable pedigrees. I don't deal with AKC limited registration so I don't know all the nuances with that, but I guess I don't get why they would limit participation in their organization because of someone's agreement with a different organization.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2013, 04:48 PM   #220 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The whole point of a limited registration is to protect dogs so that they do not land as breeding stock. I am not a fan of a limited registration. It costs just as much to breed, whelp, and raise a pet puppy as it does to raise a show prospect/breeding prospect. But if for some reason you cut the price of a puppy on a limited registration, or you feel for some reason, example would be a trial breeding, maybe an inbreeding that you did to find what recessive genes are present, but you do not want those puppies bred. Or if the dog has some fault, minor or major, like a white or blue coat, and you do not want that puppy bred.

There are people out there that will for the sake of color alone, pandas, blues, livers, and perhaps whites, though they are relatively common, will breed a dog without consideration of all else. In the past a breeder would simply cull such a puppy, meaning kill it right at birth. Other breeders would give the puppy without papers. But we have a such thing as a limited registration so that these dogs are not used soley to forward a fault.

Often the people get the dogs with a limited registration for a fraction of the cost. And then they turn around and register it with UKC and breed away. It is not like they need to get titles or championship points, or a breed survey to breed in the UKC. So it is not like anyone is looking at the dog and saying, oh it has this major fault, it should not be bred, sorry.

I guess maybe breeders should just cull the puppies they feel should not be bred from the get go. Or speuter them at eight weeks of age. Or sell them without any papers.
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.