Oversized GSD's - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013, 07:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Oversized GSD's

What is the appeal for an oversized shepherd? Im talking about the ones who are BRED for that, and are definitely over 100 pounds.

To me, it seems like more liability, as a bigger dog is stronger and potentially harder to control, not to mention more health issues with hips/joints.

Just wondering why an OVERSIZED shepherd appeals to some people more than a regular sized one?

And why not get a dog with a breed standard thats bigger?

Just curious, and by no means am I bashing anyone who prefers oversized GSD's or owns one, to each their own.
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2013, 07:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Because lately anything bigger is automatically better. Bigger SUV, bigger TV, bigger house. Why not a bigger dog?
angelas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 03:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
To me, it seems like more liability, as a bigger dog is stronger and potentially harder to control, not to mention more health issues with hips/joints.
I prefer the over sized GSD & always have, Specifically, I like 'em tall, even very tall, lean & athletic. *shrug*That's just me. I found a GSD breeder who consistently produces what I'm looking for...healthy, sound, long lived, INTELLIGENT, discerning & of impeccable character. While I wouldn't use, or recommend, her GSD for competitive agility, they have an extremely low incidence of hd. This isn't really surprising. Many large, & even giant breeds, are noted for low hd scores, ie Irish Wolfhounds, Anatolian Shepherds, Scottish Deerhounds, Akbash dogs etc. Size alone is no predictor of orthopedic soundness.

HARDER TO CONTROL?????? Puh-leeez. I'm nearing sr citizen discounts with bad knees, lousy hips, poor balance & near total body arthritis which is advancing rapidly. IF physical strength was the source of my *control* I'd have been puppy chow more than a decade past. Meaningful control is mental. In a purely physical contest, most of us would be toast at the paws & jaws of even a smallish, poorly conditioned GSD. My control of my dogs is largely rooted in a deep seated desire to please me & get my approval, NOT physical strength or raw power. IF you require physical power to 'control' a dog you'd better look at Chihuahuas or mebbe gerbils.
RubyTuesday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 09:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

I ended up at a breeder that has oversized GSD's not because I was looking for a "giant GSD" but because I was wanting a sound GSD with a breeder that did all the health checks, even though I planned on showing my GSD, wether or not the breeder did, didn't make a difference as long as I could see what some of the pups she was producing were able to do.
I looked at working line breeders but they seemed so into Sch(sp) and I wasn't interested in that sport or that High drive of a GSD. I wanted more of a medium drive dog, so just didn't seem like a fit for me.
I looked at show line breeders, and lets face it I just didn't like the looks of the dogs, and was warned several times from others that soundness in those lines (mental and physical) was a big problem. (I'm not saying this is true just what I a was warned about)
So I typed in "Old fashioned" into my computer to see what would come up started talking to them and brought home Frank!
This was all before I joined this forum, I've met many more working line and show line gsd's since the day I brought him home, heard all the discussions on this forum against the "Old fashioned" line. Trained, live with and showed Frank.

And if I had it to do all over again OR was going out tomorrow to pick up a GSD pup, I'd go right back to the same breeder.
So I guess I favor these "Oversized GSD's" from my breeder, can't speak for others,
because to me they're a part of the GSD breed that has been left out of the other lines.
Rowdy (MyHearts Red Treasure) Australian Shepherd
Franksmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 09:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I too like the looks of the oversize. They are not as sloped and deformed looking. I don't choose dogs on size or looks as many of my dogs have been from rescue. I think its the temperament of those big oversize babies. It is almost like they are so confident (due to their size? ). I did get my Buddy (90lbs) from a breeder and he was largest of the litter but what drew us to him was his totally mellow attitude.
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 01:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

As a working german shepherd enthusiast, I personally don't get the appeal either. Breeders intentionally producing oversized german shepherds are typically breeding for pets. Dogs that can't show or work. It is rare to find an oversized dog that is athletic enough to work and still stay sound when tried.
An exception I see are some czech lines are larger then standard (but not grossly oversized) They are still agile, strong animals being bred for these traits and not soley because they are oversized.

My mother (who is into showline german shepherds) had a crop out oversized german x american showline female years ago. Both of this dogs parents were within the breed standard for height and for weight as were the grand sires and dams. As a puppy, she was of large/average size but she matured much larger then was expected. She was spayed and kept lean and did pretty well.
SuperSable is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 01:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

What do you call over sized???

FEMALE---60- 80lbs?
Males-----70- 95lbs?

One thing that strikes me is that the average size of humans
have grown. We are a lot taller then we were back in the 1890's
and even back in 1940's.

So if we are taller should the GSD be bigger? haha....Not sure!!
JohnD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 02:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I think some people like big dogs and they like German Shepherds so they think why not get a big GSD? I'm not saying it's right or wrong but I think they look at it as combining multiple attributes that they find appealing. Some people just want dogs and don't care about breed standards, what the breed was intended to be, what the breed has or will become etc....
Old 02-13-2013, 03:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Well of course this is an age old debate...but what it sounds like is people want the LOOK of a GSD (or the general appearance) but not the personality/temperament or even the recommended size of one.

As for "sloped backs" and all that mumbo jumbo, it's the stacks that make dogs appear "sloped". If sloped is actually angulation. Standing in a regular pose they look perfectly fine, as a rule.
The breeders of "old fashion" (whatever that means) and what not, don't make an effort to stack, they figure folks just want a regular ol' dog anyhow.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 03:18 PM   #10 (permalink)

Default Oversized GSD's

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherdmom View Post
I too like the looks of the oversize. They are not as sloped and deformed looking. I don't choose dogs on size or looks as many of my dogs have been from rescue. I think its the temperament of those big oversize babies. It is almost like they are so confident (due to their size? ). I did get my Buddy (90lbs) from a breeder and he was largest of the litter but what drew us to him was his totally mellow attitude.
I agree

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Jd414 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.