Longcoat vs stock coat - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2013, 02:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauri & The Gang View Post
If a breeder is breeding JUST for the long coat then they may end up with temperament issues. When you limit your gene pool you run the risk of concentrating the BAD stuff along with the good stuff.

My LC boy Mauser was the only coated puppy in his litter. The sire has the gene to throw coats so it was a genetic gamble that they would appear in the litter.

Lucky me!! I LOVE the long coats. I love to run my fingers through his hair and the shedding really IS less than with my previous stock coats.

BUT - his undercoat is much MORE!! I am in the process of trying to work out all the undercoat he's built up over the past couple months (I'm behind on my brushing).

Since we live in such a cold climate pretty far north, Rocket's undercoat is THICK. I do seriously find he sheds much less than any other dog I've ever had. I don't know if it's just individual genetics, or if it's because his hair "takes longer to grow therefore stays in longer" that I've heard. Frankly, I just enjoy it! But come May/June....oh, the nightmare of shedding the undercoat!

(Also, my dog seems to have Puhlenty of drive! )

http://redheadsrocketsandramblings.blogspot.com/
RocketDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2013, 03:28 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

long stock coat do tend to be different in temperament . If you go back into the regional types that were unified into the "breed" that we now recognize as the GSD . The long stock coat was a type found in

in the Swabian Wurttemberger area . They were larger more heavy set , lower stationed, dogs with a greater variety of colour , and ears that might have been drop or fallen (partial up - semi erect) , thick under coat , slow to anger , not reactive arrousal, high in active aggression --- with high thresholds.

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 03:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My long stock coat , Sumo , likewise is a powerful worker , has tackled a sheep that got through the fencing at the back -- running alongside with total grip on its neck (from top or crest) meanwhile digging in deep and hard with his hind legs to control the sheeps movement. When the sheep flipped and he lost his grip and the sheep ran again , Sumo ran after and broadsided the sheep sending it skidding on its side and Sumo the same - both. By then the farmer on his all terrain did the rest. This was the totally natural instinctive drive of the dog , never having had physical contact with sheep , though viewing them peacefully each on the right side of the wire fence at the back of our ten acres.
He is the sire of the pups that Rush and Saphire got.
He is a total smooch --- .
I would say the same thing of my Mathias a long stock bicolour . They are related in that Sumo's dam is Case and Mathias's dam is Case's sister Rachel (black sable) -- different sires .
Very easy trainability .
Very rugged . And I agree they do not shed as much , but when it does come out it tends to twist into ropey clumps which can only be removed when ready .
The outside guard hair are not "long" the undercoat is very dense . Plush .

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 03:47 PM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
Sumo ran after and broadsided the sheep sending it skidding on its side and Sumo the same - both.
Exactly the same thing Hondo did (twice) when we had a stray dog come up on our place. He totally body slammed them, knocking them off their feet.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 03:50 PM   #15 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I would agree with the "slow to anger" and "high threshold" in Rocket's case. I don't know about the "high active aggression"-- I don't know enough about how to see that.

http://redheadsrocketsandramblings.blogspot.com/
RocketDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 07:55 PM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I posted a thread about this a while back--I have heard breeders say that the sweetest puppies are frequently longcoats. And in fact, I have noticed that coaties are generally calm and easygoing in temperament. I just wonder if there is any kind of link between temperament and coat type? Some folks swear that different colors have different temperaments--I've heard that about several different breeds.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 08:18 PM   #17 (permalink)

Maybe it's the owners? Most of the LC owners I know are really good trainers and really dog savvy people. I'm not talking about being HIT SchH trainers, but people that just have a knack for training all sorts of things and for the breed itself.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 08:27 PM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
Maybe it's the owners? Most of the LC owners I know are really good trainers and really dog savvy people. I'm not talking about being HIT SchH trainers, but people that just have a knack for training all sorts of things and for the breed itself.
Yea! That's gotta be it!!!
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 08:28 PM   #19 (permalink)

Default Longcoat vs stock coat

My gsd dog is a long coat sable and it came with akc papers here he is at 8 wks and 8 months Longcoat vs stock coat-imageuploadedbypg-free1358904433.300331.jpgLongcoat vs stock coat-imageuploadedbypg-free1358904455.033246.jpgLongcoat vs stock coat-imageuploadedbypg-free1358904466.462534.jpgLongcoat vs stock coat-imageuploadedbypg-free1358904490.461208.jpg I register him with no problems

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Raffilr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 08:53 PM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
Not in my experience--most of my clients with coaties are just average pet owners, families, typical American households... with the 2.5 kids and the dog, you know, nice regular folks but not what I would call savvy trainers. Their dogs are pretty nice, even though they're not highly trained, intensely exercised, or participating in any doggie activities or sports. So I don't know.

The only weird longcoat I've met was a 4 year old female who shivered and drooled the whole time I was grooming her. The owner said she'd had parvo as a puppy and that she'd been that way ever since. And even then, she wasn't aggressive or skittish, never bit, fought, or resisted anything, just shivered and drooled.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.