What coat type is this? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2012, 12:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default What coat type is this?

Hello,

Just curious what you would call a coat like this?

I've owned a few GSDs before and have other family and friends with them so am fairly familiar with the breed... but they have all been standard short coats or obvious long coats. My girl seems to kind of be a half and half. As you can see (assuming the photos show up, never uploaded photos before... apologies if I do something wrong ) she has quite long hair, especially around the neck and shoulders... almost like a mane. Her hair length is noticeably longer than most Shepherds we spend time with. Not sure of the word for it but her ears don't have the fluffy-ness you usually see from long coats.

Both parents did well in shows as short coats. I don't know if it makes a difference but the dad is a German import; the mother an Australian bitch who looking through her lineage is mainly German lines.

I constantly get asked if she is a long coat... everyone who has ever owned a GSD feels the need to come up and tell me that they used to have one and love the breed... but theirs had shorter hair

There are a few long coats at the dog park but they all tell me she is not a long coat... which I agree with... but it is also different to the short coats we bump into (or I have previously owned).

How should I describe her coat? A short coat with long hair

Ziltoid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2012, 01:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Stock coat - just has a nice full coat. She is not long coat. Looks to be carrying a couple extra pounds. Lean and mean is best for long term health.
qbchottu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 01:40 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbchottu View Post
Stock coat - just has a nice full coat. She is not long coat. Looks to be carrying a couple extra pounds. Lean and mean is best for long term health.
Thanks, she is supposed to be short coat... but as I said I constantly get asked if she's long coat so I started to question it myself.

Maybe I should cut her food a bit. Since the puppy turned up her exercise levels have decreased dramatically while the treats intake has increased due to my training them both together. I was kind of keeping an eye on her but figured she still had a tuck around the waist. Thank you for mentioning it, it's always easier for an outsider to pick up on weight issues
Old 12-20-2012, 03:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Yep, definitely not a longcoat. Longcoats have telltale fuzz on their ears that sticks out. A clean, smooth ear like your dog = normal coat. She just has a very full, "plush" coat.

And I agree with cutting her food back just a bit. She doesn't need to lose much, maybe about 5 lb., going by the last photo.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 05:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

agreed - just a good coat , NOT long . Dog appears to be "wet" lots of extra skin around the neck area which accentuates the neck area making it look like a ruff. You can see this in your last picture where the neck puffs out . Look at the area under the tongue in the picture .

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 07:34 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for your opinions guys, I hold more confidence in peoples thoughts here than the randoms i bump into while walking her.

Not that it really matters what she is; even if i was told she was a different breed, she would still be my little princess... but I've found it interesting just how different her coat is to any other GSD i've known. I've searched pictures of shepherds on the net and seen some that look similar so i guess she just has some different lines in her than most around here.

Oh and my pudgy little girl has been put on a diet as of today, along with an increase of exercise =D
Old 12-20-2012, 07:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

She doesn't have an unusual coat, just a nice normal west german showline coat. You have to compare apples to apples - look at west german showlines, which is what your dog looks like.

There are several "varieties" if you will of german shepherds. Some lines have different coat types. West german showlines are bred for nice full looking coats.
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 08:21 AM   #8 (permalink)

Yes definitely a standard coat but it looks quite "plush" (as has been said). She is lovely
Questforfire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 08:42 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

She's gorgeous - looks very similar to my female
Are you in Australia?
Mooch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 10:18 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

She has a very nice stock coat......
robinhuerta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.