What coat type is this? - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2012, 06:46 PM   #21 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Here are some stock coats with a shorter or a "tight" coat:
Uran

working line girl

full coats:
Omen

Nutella - pint sized powerhouse puffball

Waiko full coat

my female Wiva has been called "plush" and full coated stock coat:
qbchottu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2012, 07:05 PM   #22 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Qita shorter long coat

Buffalo bill working line LC

long coat WGSL female
Old 12-20-2012, 07:16 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rerun View Post
There are stock coats and long stock coats. That's it. If the dog isn't a long stock coat, it's a stock coat. There is no other term, official or otherwise, to describe it. Plush is really the only other (unofficial) term to describe GSD coats, and it applies to long stock coats.
Well that clears it up. Thank you for giving a clear, concise answer to my rambling question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rerun View Post
Your dog has a perfectly normal/standard (per your words ) coat. It's not unusual. It may be unusual where you live and the type you are used to seeing, but spend some time here and you'll see it's not unusual. It's how WGSL dogs are supposed to look.
I think it really could just be that I am not used to seeing WGSL dogs around here so figured that there must be some kind of description for it... with the number of questions I get about her, I am certainly not alone.

And no offense meant (or taken) with the normal/standard comment... I am not up on the breed lingo so for want of a better term tend to use more layman's terms
Ziltoid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 07:23 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbchottu View Post
full coats:
Omen

my female Wiva has been called "plush" and full coated stock coat:

Gee that Omen is a beautiful dog. I'm hoping my male turns out something like him.

Wiva is a beautiful dog. My parents female has a very similar face to her.

I guess your posts go to show that there are some major differences in dogs that are all considered 'stock' coats. I have some major learing to do
Old 12-20-2012, 07:34 PM   #25 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Thank you! - if your boy does grow up to look like Omen, you would be a very rich owner

There can be different ranges in each type. There are some really really full stock coated GSDs - can have almost a long coat type length. My trainer has a funny story where a judge actually told him when he was showing a very full coated stock coat that if he (judge) didn't know my breeder as well as he did, judge would have had him test the bitch for long coat - that's how full the coat was!. In hotter climates, that can also have an influence on how full the coat is. When we are getting ready for a show, I put Wiva in the basement with the AC very cold to get coat on her. When we prepare for a show in the winter months, I stick her outside as much as I can so she can put on a heavy coat. Females going into heat, after whelping etc can blow coat very badly and look almost bald. Stress, travel, weather changes do it too.

By definition: stock coat GSD means normal coat with undercoat.
long stock coat is longer outer coat with undercoat
long hair is long outer coat with NO undercoat.

United Schutzhund Clubs of America - Breed Standard
*correct coat: The correct coat for the German Shepherd is a stock coat (outer and under coat). The top coat should be as tight as possible, straight, coarse, and clinging closely to the undercoat. The head, including the inside of the ears, the front of the legs, the paws, and toes have short hair. Neck hair is longer and thicker. On the rear side of the legs, hair length increases downward to the pastern and hock. The rear of the thighs is covered show moderate "pants".
*Long stock coat (long, soft loosely fitting outer coat with undercoat, flags on ears and legs, bushy pants and bushy tail with flag on underside)
*Long coat (long, soft outer coat without undercoat). This coat type frequently is parted along the center line of the back, has flags on ears, legs, and tail.

Last edited by qbchottu; 12-20-2012 at 07:36 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:14 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Thank you! - if your boy does grow up to look like Omen, you would be a very rich owner
Oh, I'm not expecting him to be quite at that level... but if he has some similar characteristics, I'll be happy. I love the strong/powerful head and build some of the males like that have.

I've heard the figures spent on importing my females sire and the amounts recouped so far... and lets just say I was a bit shocked. It's a much bigger business money wise than I ever expected.

Quote:
There can be different ranges in each type. There are some really really full stock coated GSDs - can have almost a long coat type length. My trainer has a funny story where a judge actually told him when he was showing a very full coated stock coat that if he (judge) didn't know my breeder as well as he did, judge would have had him test the bitch for long coat - that's how full the coat was!. In hotter climates, that can also have an influence on how full the coat is. When we are getting ready for a show, I put Wiva in the basement with the AC very cold to get coat on her. When we prepare for a show in the winter months, I stick her outside as much as I can so she can put on a heavy coat. Females going into heat, after whelping etc can blow coat very badly and look almost bald. Stress, travel, weather changes do it too.

By definition: stock coat GSD means normal coat with undercoat.
long stock coat is longer outer coat with undercoat
long hair is long outer coat with NO undercoat.

United Schutzhund Clubs of America - Breed Standard
*correct coat: The correct coat for the German Shepherd is a stock coat (outer and under coat). The top coat should be as tight as possible, straight, coarse, and clinging closely to the undercoat. The head, including the inside of the ears, the front of the legs, the paws, and toes have short hair. Neck hair is longer and thicker. On the rear side of the legs, hair length increases downward to the pastern and hock. The rear of the thighs is covered show moderate "pants".
*Long stock coat (long, soft loosely fitting outer coat with undercoat, flags on ears and legs, bushy pants and bushy tail with flag on underside)
*Long coat (long, soft outer coat without undercoat). This coat type frequently is parted along the center line of the back, has flags on ears, legs, and tail.
Thanks for the information
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.