I think he is too skinny now! Or is he just fit? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2012, 10:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I see so many people posting "is my pet too skinny?" pictures. I have never seen anyone (that I can think of) post a picture asking "Is my pet over weight?" Why is this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2012, 10:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I think it's because people with overweight dogs don't think they have a problem. In fat America (and I have no room to talk with my fat ass) having an in-shape dog is certainly not the norm. It's confusing to us. We need clarification to make sure we're doing right. Sad but true.

[EDIT]- and that's no slam on ponyfarm! She's a close friend of mine in real life. Point is- dogs are super fat in America. THAT is the normal. Getting a dog to a proper weight is atypical, and people actually do need clarification to make sure they're in the right. I know I had multiple agility instructors help me to know what a good weight for Pimg was. I thought she looked GREAT at 75-78 pounds. Geez. I keep her at 68 to 69 now. It's a significant difference. I would have never known, and I certainly wouldn't have started a thread "is my dog overweight?".

C-ATCH Pimg - DOB: 2/06, UJJ (x2), HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
High Jinks vom Neuanfang - DOB 9/12 (Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013) agility superstar in training

Last edited by wildo; 12-18-2012 at 10:14 PM.
wildo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 10:16 PM   #13 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I love my dog's gnarly rangy look!
Old 12-18-2012, 10:52 PM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Workin' dawg conformation... Max rocks it !
Old 12-19-2012, 07:12 AM   #15 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildo View Post
I think it's because people with overweight dogs don't think they have a problem. In fat America (and I have no room to talk with my fat ass) having an in-shape dog is certainly not the norm. It's confusing to us. We need clarification to make sure we're doing right. Sad but true.

[EDIT]- and that's no slam on ponyfarm! She's a close friend of mine in real life. Point is- dogs are super fat in America. THAT is the normal. Getting a dog to a proper weight is atypical, and people actually do need clarification to make sure they're in the right. I know I had multiple agility instructors help me to know what a good weight for Pimg was. I thought she looked GREAT at 75-78 pounds. Geez. I keep her at 68 to 69 now. It's a significant difference. I would have never known, and I certainly wouldn't have started a thread "is my dog overweight?".
Wildo is right! I am having a hard time with "skinny". I equate that with undernourished, wormy etc. Max is none of this, But to the general public that is the perception. I have had several people stop and tell me my dog is too skinny, at dog school too. Of course, my trainer let them know he was fine! Most companion dogs are overwieght and that is what we all get used to seeing.

Max was at 72 pounds this summer, oops! and now he is 67 lbs. I dont think I want him to weigh any less, tho.

Thanks for the compliments everyone ! I feel re-assured that he is looking good!
Old 12-19-2012, 09:08 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
I see so many people posting "is my pet too skinny?" pictures. I have never seen anyone (that I can think of) post a picture asking "Is my pet over weight?" Why is this?
LOL so true. I was at the vet last night and every other animal in the busy waiting room was fat. Fat dachshund, fat westie, fat bichon mix. When checking in, one lady was asked why her dog was there and she said, "oh he has arthritis and it's getting difficult for him to walk...." One sideways glance at the dog and it's pretty obvious it's not really the arthritis that's the problem.... Then when we got in our room we happened to be right next to the scale, and every owner that weighed their dog after us was surprised at their dog's weight. One even had the vet tech do it again.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.