My GSD Titan - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012, 01:30 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default My GSD Titan

So I just got a German Shepherd that is supposedly purebred. I'm waiting on papers from his previous owner. And I was just wondering, if he isn't papered, but still purebred, would it be possible to breed him? And does he look pure to you guys? I still need to take pictures of him stacked. But those are to come. Thank you!
My GSD Titan-imageuploadedbypg-free1354858094.167457.jpgMy GSD Titan-imageuploadedbypg-free1354858103.699120.jpgMy GSD Titan-imageuploadedbypg-free1354858112.659421.jpg

From Tay and Titan
TaylorGSDT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 12:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

To me he looks like a high mix with something "bully" - his head is very square - although it could just be that he doesn't meet the standard.

As for breeding, yep you could breed him. But the question is more, SHOULD you breed him?

There are many, MANY threads on here about the reasons you should and shouldn't breed your dog.

Some questions to ask yourself:

What does my dog have to contribute the breed as a whole?
Do I have my dogs pedigree to be able to match his lines with a female, giving me the best chance of producing the best puppies possible?
Has my dog been health tested? OFA'd? Pennhip?
Has my dogs temperament been tested by an unbiased person, who has no stake in my dog?

Breeding to help this breed continue to be the MOST versatile breed ever, needs to be done with the utmost care and thought, and it is not something to just jump into. I, as well as everyone else on this forum LOVE this breed, and I tend to take it personal when someone sets out to destroy the breed I am fighting to preserve (not saying you specifically, but in general).

Please put some thought into it and focus on just enjoying your new boy, he is very handsome!
N Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 04:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

His head is actually very sleek. His fur makes it look boxed. I need to get pictures of him in better lighting. And he hasn't gotten a bath since he was born, according to his previous owner. And I actually just got the AKC papers to fill out because his mother and father were both purebred. Kalli, his previous owner, was able to get a hold of his mother's owner and set everything up. My boy is pure. (: And as for the breeding, I want to do it purely for the sake of having a very versatile bloodline. From working to household. His temperament is amazing, and I've already had a couple temp tests done on him. His only issue is jumping because his first 6 months were on a farm with no boundaries or proper training, with his father.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Old 12-07-2012, 05:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My first dog's name was Titan. He was a great guy! He was a super dog but still I did not see a reason to breed more GSDs with my pet, jus' sayin'. Love your dog! He can be a great companion.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

There's a lot more planning and preparation that goes into breeding the right way.

Someone has a chart and will likely post it here; most of us, like yourself, have pet quality dogs.
These dogs should not be bred, but enjoyed for the pets they are
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 06:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

Well not that I don't appreciate your guys' input, but I've already made up my mind and im determined to follow through with my decisions. It's one of the reasons I graduated HS at 16.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Old 12-07-2012, 07:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Utah doesn't have enough GSDs in shelters now?
Pet Search Results: Adoptable German Shepherd Dog Dog Pets in Kearns, UT: Petfinder
I see here some 7k + dogs sitting and waiting for homes now.

Your dog seems like a nice dog but he's not breeding quality.
You're right, it's a free country.
But for the love of German Shepherds you need to rethink your plan.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 08:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Do you know what lines he is from? Do you happen to have a pedigree that you are willing to share with the board? Is he health tested? I, personally, don't think that breeding him is a fantastic idea, but if you have already made up your mind, could you share with me some of your plans/ideas? I am no expert, or a breeder, but some of the more experienced members may be able to give you some valuable advice, or even convince you that breeding may not be the best idea.
He is a very handsome boy, and good luck with whichever path you decide to take!

Harley
Black/Tan, neutered male
"American Pet Line"

Varick vom Haus Jeffery
Dark Sable, intact male
DDR/West German Show Line

Last edited by HarleyTheGSD; 12-07-2012 at 08:12 PM.
HarleyTheGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 09:10 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

Alot goes on in order to breed. Sometimes the benefits don't out weigh the negatives. Just because someone has a nice well mannered dog doesn't mean it should be bred. At the minimum hips/elbows should be xrayed and certified by OFA so you know for sure that you are not passing along hip displaysia. Both the male and female dogs should be tested prior to a breeding to make sure all health is in order as many bitches or males can pass many nasty things during a breeding. Most litters are very large, take alot of out the female, and are alot of work.

Do the research...become educated...find a local breeder to see if you can help out while learning what goes into breeding, caring etc for stud dogs and bitches. Breeding coss alot of money before, during and after and generally unless you have high quality, titled, certified, health checked and known breeding lines that have proven themselves its not worth the money YOU spend to breed as YOU won't make the money back on the pups or the studding. We just had a litter and didn't makeanywhere near the money back that we spent on the whole process. Although the mating made beautiful and healthy puppies we decided not to do another breeding.

If you decide to breed hopefully you will follow all of the necessities, vet/health standards as not to produce a low quailty pup that may have health defects due to lack of knowledge on the breeding.

I also wanted to add that many people won't let an unapproved stud dog breed to their female unless its a back yard breeder who doesn't care. Someone with a titled, certified breeding bitch isn't going to put their bitch in harms way for someones "pet quality" stud dog just because they want to breed him. Alot of full time professional breeders are extremely picky when it ocmes to matching the perfect stud to the perfect bitch in order to create a better quality pup. If you are really interested in studding your dog do what needs to be done health wise, certification wise, title wise, and then ask a breeder for advice on your stud if he is worthy to breed to a begginer bitch to see what he produces. Our male/female combo made great pups and we have had offers to breed back to either of them with a diff stud/bitch but we opted to spay of female and will be altering our male next yr.
Diesel-GSD

Last edited by Gilly1331; 12-08-2012 at 09:15 AM.
Gilly1331 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 10:23 AM   #10 (permalink)

It's a free country and you can breed if you want to, but just consider that you will not have many contacts within the breed if breeding a mixed dog. If you want to be taken seriously as a German Shepherd breeder and attract good buyers/owners you will need to become educated and accept the help and experience of others. I'm sure you didn't graduate at 16 *just* because you *decided* to, no a lot of work goes into that. Approach dog breeding the same way. It's only fair for your dog.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.